"BROTHERHOOD" in International Brotherhood of Teamsters has been Broken-RIP 2013

twoweeled

[your dreamingquote="Stonefish, post: 1236928, member: 50401"]So don't stand up for yourself, don't file grievances over violations of the contract, don't stand next to your brother who is getting harassed to be a witness. Just blame it on not having the leadership that you elected[/quote]

your dreaming if you think you can battle UPS in a war, and win. without some sort of strength behind you, you'll be swatted like a fly.

twoweeled

Doesn't seem like much of a division with 75% yes vote

75% in the first vote? I don't think so. that second vote didn't come as a result of good leadership. that second vote came because the proposal ss putting central states against the others. our leadership plays the same divide and conquer with the part time vote, against the full time vote. that second vote came in spite of attempts to divide and conquer. we also screwed the retirees while we were at it, for good measure. brotherhood taking care of each other?
I don't think so.

Stonefish

[your dreamingquote="Stonefish, post: 1236928, member: 50401"]So don't stand up for yourself, don't file grievances over violations of the contract, don't stand next to your brother who is getting harassed to be a witness. Just blame it on not having the leadership that you elected

your dreaming if you think you can battle UPS in a war, and win. without some sort of strength behind you, you'll be swatted like a fly.[/quote]
You are correct, they will win if you let them. You can't win if you don't stand up.

Stonefish

75% in the first vote? I don't think so. that second vote didn't come as a result of good leadership. that second vote came because the proposal ss putting central states against the others. our leadership plays the same divide and conquer with the part time vote, against the full time vote. that second vote came in spite of attempts to divide and conquer. we also screwed the retirees while we were at it, for good measure. brotherhood taking care of each other?
I don't think so.
Can you tell me how many full-time and how many part-time voted in this contract?
I don't know so can you tell me how the retirees in your area got screwed for "good measure"?
So the process is only democratic if it comes out the way you want it to?

twoweeled

If you seriously think a new contract will keep ups from using part time drivers, working sups, and just plain disreguarding the contract language, get your head out of the sand. They just rather pay the penalty at least in my building.
In my building, they generally don't pay penalties. It's normally a promise not to do it again, or just No, we not paying it. If they did pay penalties, it would definitely curve the violations. The union doesn't enforce the contract, and that is the problem. We will never have 100% compliance, but if we enforce what he have, we can minimize the amount of violations.

Ouch

Not to stir the pot with you, and I understand what your saying. If you get enough members to stand together thats what will cut the grey area and make the local hold the company to the fire. Members are what make the union not the local. You should have the say in what they pay in penalties. A spineless local is a nightmare. You have to be ready to battle with company and local sometimes to get both sides to do whats contractual. Stick together, their is power in numbers.

twoweeled

Can you tell me how many full-time and how many part-time voted in this contract?
I don't know so can you tell me how the retirees in your area got screwed for "good measure"?
So the process is only democratic if it comes out the way you want it to?
I can't tell you how many part timers voted, but I can tell you there are more part timers than full timers. For example; in the past, the focus was always on the worthless bonus check. Why? Because they knew the part timers would vote for that, and that was enough to swing the vote. The bonus $1000 for full timers, and $500 for part timers was a worthless scam, but being as many part timers didn't plan on staying, it would push through.
The retirees were screwed by this new huge raise in healthcare cost. For many years, it has been $50 a month. Now, within 3 years, it will jump to $300. yes, I heard the BS about they can't bargain for retirees. They can ALWAYS bargain in one way or another, FOR EVERYTHING.

Stonefish

I can't tell you how many part timers voted, but I can tell you there are more part timers than full timers. For example; in the past, the focus was always on the worthless bonus check. Why? Because they knew the part timers would vote for that, and that was enough to swing the vote. The bonus $1000 for full timers, and $500 for part timers was a worthless scam, but being as many part timers didn't plan on staying, it would push through.
The retirees were screwed by this new huge raise in healthcare cost. For many years, it has been $50 a month. Now, within 3 years, it will jump to $300. yes, I heard the BS about they can't bargain for retirees. They can ALWAYS bargain in one way or another, FOR EVERYTHING.
I agree the bonus is not the way to go because you only get it one time and they take taxes out of it. A raise is there for your length of service and you get o/t one it.
The problem with the situation is people don't care unless it affects them. As a steward I would ask someone to write a statement for supervisor working, harassment or whatever and they don't want to get involved then it happens to them and they expect everyone to help them out. We should all work together as a UNION not every person for themselves.
I myself will be a retiree at some point so I would love to see pension increases and not pay for healthcare but the reality is you have to make the people that vote happy, retirees don't vote and a contract that doesn't have something for the active members won't pass.
If you voted yes or no doesn't really matter to me as long as you are educated about the entire situation when you vote. I voted yes because in my opinion I am looking at the future and the futures of the people I work with. The negotiations are not just as simple as some may think. It is just my opinion and people don't have to agree.

Stratocaster

Great post. Interesting story; I took my lunch beak on Monday and walked inside the pizza shop that some of the other drivers and I were going to eat at, when a man approached us and said, "There goes the Local 804 guys. He was a retired UPSer of 30 years. He said to me that in his time, if "they" looked at us funny, we walked out the building. He also said to me that if one employee was being harassed by management, word would spread and everyone would stop till the matter was resolved. Shoot I wonder where that Brotherhood went! He finished by saying that Ron Carey is rolling in his grave with what is going on in Washington, as he pulled out his phone and showed me a picture of him and the Great Ron Carey together. We are far removed from those days. Vote Nooooo

twoweeled

You are exactly right. It was supposed to have been the best we can get for all. Now, it's the least best proposal, we can get to pass. First vote a bit under acceptance, the second vote, a bit over for acceptance. The strategy or where are the most votes to swing the vote is a strategy we expect from the company. They unfortunate truth, is that our own union is using this same strategy on us.
Overwhelming acceptance will never happen again, with this administration. Deal with it.

twoweeled

LOCAL 396 has passed the rider and supplemental but with a marginal victory. Approximately 51% voted yes and 49% voted NO.

This shows the great divide that the Teamsters have caused within the membership.

With less than 150 votes, local 396 passed the contract. Members are unhappy with the contract, and of those voting YES, almost 50% voted yes just to end the hassle despite being unhappy with the contract and insurance.

Without a better option, YES voters know that moving forward will bring effective change to the teamsters and a better contract 5 years from now.

Peace

TOS
Undoubtedly a big divide now. Many of the brothers who voted yes, were not happy with this. But the plan to drag this out pass peak was successful. many or us seen it and knew it was happening. What? Are we really going to threaten a strike in January? What, the Union didn't think, 'gee, we have to get this done with enough time to threaten a strike in late October, or early November at the latest! Were battling two teams. the company, and our international. Wouldn't it be ironic, if the great works of James Hoffa SR, were totally destroyed by his son? They say the apple doesn't fall far from the tree? Well this apple must have caught a good roll!

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I agree the bonus is not the way to go because you only get it one time and they take taxes out of it. A raise is there for your length of service and you get o/t one it.
The problem with the situation is people don't care unless it affects them. As a steward I would ask someone to write a statement for supervisor working, harassment or whatever and they don't want to get involved then it happens to them and they expect everyone to help them out. We should all work together as a UNION not every person for themselves.
I myself will be a retiree at some point so I would love to see pension increases and not pay for healthcare but the reality is you have to make the people that vote happy, retirees don't vote and a contract that doesn't have something for the active members won't pass.
If you voted yes or no doesn't really matter to me as long as you are educated about the entire situation when you vote. I voted yes because in my opinion I am looking at the future and the futures of the people I work with. The negotiations are not just as simple as some may think. It is just my opinion and people don't have to agree.

So you're a steward?
Interesting.

twoweeled

I agree with everything you said. It's so true that people don't care until it happens to them. By then, it's too late. Sad, but true. But I guess i'm of the belief there is a point, where someone has to do the right thing. Taking care of retirees I believe falls in there. We can't rely on the company to care one iota for an active employee, or even less a retiree. My feeling is, the Union is our ONLY HOPE, for caring for our active and retirees. If the Union doesn't step up for them, THEN NO ONE WILL. just my opinion.

Indecisi0n

Its the old guys who throw their hands up and stop caring. They figure "Hey I am going to retire soon so why come to meetings and vote or get informed". Well now they know why. Their (old timers) future is in the hands of these young guys and they are setting the bad example.

twoweeled

Not to stir the pot with you, and I understand what your saying. If you get enough members to stand together thats what will cut the grey area and make the local hold the company to the fire. Members are what make the union not the local. You should have the say in what they pay in penalties. A spineless local is a nightmare. You have to be ready to battle with company and local sometimes to get both sides to do whats contractual. Stick together, their is power in numbers.

You are 100% correct on everything. However, the reality is, it is becoming impossible to get a group to stand up and stay up. In my local, everybody's retreating into their shells. Our grievances often are met with a promise of not to do it again. "They said they don't wanna pay it". "It's their company, they can do pretty much what they want to do". Sounds like your local might be more aggressive in grievances.

Ouch

Our local is pretty strong. Our local is also willing to push a grievance up the ladder if thats what it takes. It should be up to you if the company pays a grievance or not. You should tell your ba that you want paid on your grievances and to do what it takes. The company doesnt have the authority to decide whether or not they pay a grievance. Push the issue then if you dont get results that opens up more avenues for you to pursue. Good luck and stay with it. You can make a change. Don't give up.