Brown Cafe Bon Voyage Weekend!

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
Since this is our 1st cruise, we decided not to bend the rules, but keep the eyes open and see what tricks we can pickup on for the NEXT trip. My biggest problem is the money thing ashore, as both the wife and I are BTSIGTTS(Been there, seen it, got the tee shirt) people. I am concerned about the 1st port, as the wife and I will be seperated onshore. My wife can not find her way out of a wet paper bag, so I am concerned she will not make it back to the dock if something should happen. We are planning right now to have watertite cases, to keep on our person or in our ashore bags( small canvas LLbean type). Money- some cash and some CC, but not quite sure the mix right now. It does look like I will be all cash ashore- easier to bargain with for taxi rides and the like.
One question? doesn't Carnival send you anything though the mail? I know to print off the stuff online, but it said something about luggage tags, and I don't have any idea about that.

klein

Für Meno :)
Old : I wouldn't even take a credit card with you. Shopping is very expensive on those Islands. Remember, everything gets imported from mainland .
American dollars are welcome everywhere.
Instead of taxi and going on your own, I would recommend excursions.
Some of them just go to the Beach, for those just want ocean and relaxation. Some have beach plus a visit to "market-place".
She'll never get lost, and the tour bus won't leave without her.

On the cruiseship itself, they will have excursions meetings, that you should attend.
They will go thru everyone of them, and you can make the choice, what you wanna do, when you port.

I myself did the Beach and Shopping excursion. You get lounge chair access, towels, and transportation. I believe it was $30. Plus a boatride thru the canal was included, too.
Good thing is with those excursions... others from the ship go along. So, you'll never be alone.

Have fun everyone ! btw: The water bottle smuggeling (vodka or Tiquilla), sounds like a plan I would try . LOL

Thanks Trp. Something else I hadn't considered since I am bringing cash. What about travelers checks?
You can use Travelers Checks if you want and your bank still issues them, they quickly becoming a thing of the past. I have read that few merchants on the islands take them but you can always cash them at the guest services desk (formerly purser's desk).

Since this is our 1st cruise, we decided not to bend the rules, but keep the eyes open and see what tricks we can pickup on for the NEXT trip. My biggest problem is the money thing ashore, as both the wife and I are BTSIGTTS(Been there, seen it, got the tee shirt) people. I am concerned about the 1st port, as the wife and I will be seperated onshore. My wife can not find her way out of a wet paper bag, so I am concerned she will not make it back to the dock if something should happen. We are planning right now to have watertite cases, to keep on our person or in our ashore bags( small canvas LLbean type). Money- some cash and some CC, but not quite sure the mix right now. It does look like I will be all cash ashore- easier to bargain with for taxi rides and the like.
One question? doesn't Carnival send you anything though the mail? I know to print off the stuff online, but it said something about luggage tags, and I don't have any idea about that.
I do understand the reluctance to not follow the rules, specially any that are designed for safety purposes. If you (or anyone else on here) want to have a bottle of spirits in your cabin for mixing a drink in the cabin, balcony or just to carry around the ship and do not want to smuggle you can order from the Bon Voyage dept by calling them. It will be in your cabin when you get there in most cases. The prices are still higher than what you buy at home but not as high as the "by the drink" prices on the ship. A 1 liter bottle sales for $40-$60 depending on what you want. Beer is OUTRAGEOUS, a case would cost a person close to $100, add a 15% auto gratuity to all alcohol purchases on board the ship.

I'm not too sure about what to do on the being separated while at an island. She's doing the Dolphin swim, correct? Is this booked through Carnival? If so, no worries they will see that she gets back to the ship in time. All the excursions booked through the ship are in contact with the ship and let them know when a problem with arrival occurs and the ship waits on you. The ones not through the ship...not. My wife is also Directionally Challenged .

Carnival doesn't send anything in the mail anymore, when you print out the funpass and other Docs a luggage tag is part of that printout. Just make a copy (preferably color) of that tag for each bag you are going to check. Seems a lot of people use the wide packing tape (wonder where I could find some of that??)to do a home laminating of the tags, punch holes to tie (twist ties or zip tags work well) them on the bag handles. Don't put them on the bag until you are on the way to the cruise terminal to prevent tearing them off accidentally. I have read that some people suggest having a second tag inside just in case the outside tag gets torn off.

Last edited:
Old : I wouldn't even take a credit card with you. Shopping is very expensive on those Islands. Remember, everything gets imported from mainland .
American dollars are welcome everywhere.
Instead of taxi and going on your own, I would recommend excursions.
Some of them just go to the Beach, for those just want ocean and relaxation. Some have beach plus a visit to "market-place".
She'll never get lost, and the tour bus won't leave without her.

On the cruiseship itself, they will have excursions meetings, that you should attend.
They will go thru everyone of them, and you can make the choice, what you wanna do, when you port.

I myself did the Beach and Shopping excursion. You get lounge chair access, towels, and transportation. I believe it was $30. Plus a boatride thru the canal was included, too.
Good thing is with those excursions... others from the ship go along. So, you'll never be alone.

Have fun everyone ! btw: The water bottle smuggeling (vodka or Tiquilla), sounds like a plan I would try . LOL
Getting caught depends mainly on one thing, how serious the person scanning a given bag is about doing the job correctly. The cruise lines have been doing this for years, I doubt there is a fool proof method. The best one that I read about was a guy that had a friend at a winery that filled a wine bottle with rum and corked and sealed it in the winery's normal fashion. Because bringing wine on board is allowed, they never even thought about it being hard booze. Many ways to try to get it on, just be prepared to loose it.
If you get caught, they arn't likely to kick you off the ship, they still want YOU and your CCs on there.

klein

Für Meno :)
Beer is OUTRAGEOUS, a case would cost a person close to $100, add a 15% auto gratuity to all alcohol purchases on board the ship.
I would consider taking a home brew kit with you ! LMAO !

Oh yeah, I did work in the dairy before.
We did that one night. Filled milk cartons with whiskey.
Totally sealed on the filling machine.
Took them into the bars for the fun of it (young and dumm thing). But it sure was neat at the time.

helenofcalifornia

OK, I am checking through my Amy Busby mail, and I see one about the E docs. But there was no attachment to my email. What am I missing? I already emailed Amy to send me a dupe. And OI, haven't you seen those Utube videos of the tourists that got back to the ship too late and they were left at the dock? Be sure and have your wife carry her passport and CC. Wish you were going More, you would be a blast to have on the ship!! I am packing this weekend. I am bringing a pair of binocs - good idea? Camcorder, digital camera, I phone (locked in safe at beginning of trip), and laptop. Does the cruise ship have a laundry mat and how much does it cost? How about phone calls (traditional) from the ship? Is this expensive too?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
They will have a washer/dryer room on each deck. You only have one electrical outlet in your room, I would bring multi-plug type extension if you have a lot of electronics to recharge. The Carnival hair dryer is poor quality, I would bring my own. Also a short clothesline would be an improvement over the little string they furnish in the shower stall. I have heard of people bringing a roll of duct tape to tape the drawers shut if the seas get a little rough.

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member
OK, I am checking through my Amy Busby mail, and I see one about the E docs. But there was no attachment to my email. What am I missing? I already emailed Amy to send me a dupe. Does the cruise ship have a laundry mat and how much does it cost? How about phone calls (traditional) from the ship? Is this expensive too?

Helen,

You need to go to Carnival.com for this...there is no attachment. You need to fill out all your travel information, print your luggage tags and complete and print out your fun pass...etc..Once you put in your booking number you will be able to do this.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Sweetie, you print your luggage tags out when you print out your Fun Passes. You have to have both of these before you can board sunday. If you need some help let me know. I can walk you through it or Trp can. Have you filled out all the stuff on line yet, through Carnival.com? Same for you Helen, if you need help with it let me know.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Klein, shut up.

OI, when you fill out the paper work on Carnival.com you will be ask for a credit card number. Which ever card you use at least bring that one with you. You will need it.