Brown Cafe Bon Voyage Weekend!

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
? Come on moreluck, you live in a beach town...

I've traveled a little and hope to be able to see a lot more of the world in the next few years. Pickpockets, criminals and terrorists could be anywhere. We've run into kids that were pickpockets while traveling in Italy and again in Spain. The only really scary criminal encounter I've had was here in So. Cal. USA, where you and I both live.

It's exciting to be traveling with a group this time. I really hope that we can make this browncafe holiday into an annual adventure. Maybe next year you will consider coming with us.

:peaceful:

helenofcalifornia

I would like to participate in the dinner, but I don't actually know what with our arrival time at 5:30. That is my only concern. How far are these Ale House's from the Sofitel? Sorry Steve, can't be of more help. And pickpockets...let 'em try!!

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member
I would like to participate in the dinner, but I don't actually know what with our arrival time at 5:30. That is my only concern. How far are these Ale House's from the Sofitel? Sorry Steve, can't be of more help. And pickpockets...let 'em try!!

Helen,

You should be fine..the farthest one is only about 20 minutes away according to the mapping that I did. With dinner at 7:30 or 8pm you will be there in plenty of time and no one will be in any hurry because we are all on vacation...

By the way I have foiled pickpocket attempts in Italy and lived in L.A.....Miami should be a walk in the park...Belize and Roatan may be another story...But like you said...let 'em try!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS

Helen, I agree with Tony. You should have plenty of time to get into the hotel and relax for a bit and get refreshed. Stephen, are you going to Sofitel to pick everyone up?

moreluck

golden ticket member
You know I'm just hassling y'all. :wink2:

When we had a Carracas stop on our cruise, they made the announcement on the ship to be aware of children in the town square because they were expert pickpockets.....and they weren't in school.

If you have a camera dangling around your neck, you're a target!

Watch your backs! Have fun. And from Over9five......IHYG !!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
You know I'm just hassling y'all. :wink2:

When we had a Carracas stop on our cruise, they made the announcement on the ship to be aware of children in the town square because they were expert pickpockets.....and they weren't in school.

If you have a camera dangling around your neck, you're a target!

Watch your backs! Have fun. And from Over9five......IHYG !!
LOL Of course we know that More. I posted the pic of the teacher wagging her finger cuz that's who you reminded me of. I thought it was funny, it goes right along with your signature. :happy-very:

Ms.PacMan

The time flew by! Hope you guys have a great time!!!

One of my friends went on this exact cruise last Sept. and said to keep an eye out for the key lime cheesecake one of the days at lunch. He said it was the best! :peaceful:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
The time flew by! Hope you guys have a great time!!!

One of my friends went on this exact cruise last Sept. and said to keep an eye out for the key lime cheesecake one of the days at lunch. He said it was the best! :peaceful:

Thanks for the tip MsP. I will definately look for it, I love Key Lime anything and cheesecake is a favorite.

klein

Für Meno :)
Thanks for the tip MsP. I will definately look for it, I love Key Lime anything and cheesecake is a favorite.

Key Lime Pie is avialable as dessert at the Miller's Ale House. $3.79
I didn't try it, but had the Capt'n Jack Nutty Brother for $4.95. It was delicious ! Huge portion, too. May want to share it. (Waitress will actually ask - they know it's meant for 2 ) :)

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
Helen, you can ride in the back of the GTO at 130 MPH- That should give you plenty of time to "freshen up". As for the Key Lime cheesecake....... I will be in heaven.... I love both those items.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Alright, then it's set. We'll do the Ale House in North Miami. I'll fit as many as I can in my van and OI should be able to get the rest. HeLLen, don't worry about the time, we're UPS'ers. Logistics, it's what we do.:wink2: I just need a total count from everyone. I already have Mr and Mrs OI, Dilli and Her Man, Mr and Mrs TRP (555), Tony, Cheryl and their daughter and Hellen + 2, Oh, and Me and the Mrs. That makes 14, correct? Is there anyone I left out? Upstate, 9/5, anyone else change their minds?

What'dyabringmetoday???

Alright, then it's set. We'll do the Ale House in North Miami. I'll fit as many as I can in my van and OI should be able to get the rest. HeLLen, don't worry about the time, we're UPS'ers. Logistics, it's what we do.:wink2: I just need a total count from everyone. I already have Mr and Mrs OI, Dilli and Her Man, Mr and Mrs TRP (555), Tony, Cheryl and their daughter and Hellen + 2, Oh, and Me and the Mrs. That makes 14, correct? Is there anyone I left out? Upstate, 9/5, anyone else change their minds?
Hey, STUG, you forgot me! Don't worry- I don't plan on wrecking your trip!!!

helenofcalifornia

I have talked to several people who have gone on cruises and they have given me many tips. They said to board as soon as available so you can scope things out. Also, to get on the top most desk, get some seats facing forward, a cool beverage to drink, and watch the ship sail away! They said to wave madly at all the people on shore like you know them too! Empty water bottles leave the ship with you, and miraculously, are filled with alcohol when you get on board. That somehow evades the shipboard check in when you return to the ship. (I am just passing on the 411 I am getting.) Anyway, getting "siked" about this trip!! Are people bringing cash or credit cards? Debit cards a good idea or not?

rod

Retired 22 years
I have talked to several people who have gone on cruises and they have given me many tips. They said to board as soon as available so you can scope things out. Also, to get on the top most desk, get some seats facing forward, a cool beverage to drink, and watch the ship sail away! They said to wave madly at all the people on shore like you know them too! Empty water bottles leave the ship with you, and miraculously, are filled with alcohol when you get on board. That somehow evades the shipboard check in when you return to the ship. (I am just passing on the 411 I am getting.) Anyway, getting "siked" about this trip!! Are people bringing cash or credit cards? Debit cards a good idea or not?

great idea---------------------------------------can you do it with a 2 liter bottle?:happy2:

klein

Für Meno :)

Helen, don't know about the likor thing. They have dutyfree shops on board. However, I only got to buy and take it with me as I stayed overnight in the Bahamas.
The day cruise, I had to wait until I got back to the US to receive it.
Now, thats the question.... if you stay overnight on board, can you buy it and receive it ?
I would check out tripadvisor.com look for Carnival cruises on it. The people that have done it before, do a review of the trip.

Why you would need to hide alcohol in the fist place, if you bought it on the Island, doesn't make sense to me.
The ship doesn't care what you bring on board. It's US customs at the end of the trip that will ask and maybe check luggage.

My small tiny cruise ship to the bahamas (almost ferry like), had an ATM, so you can use debit to get cash.
But, I couldn't use it, to pay for anything directly.
ATM charges were $8.00 extra , btw !!!

So, take credit card.. :)

One other huge tip : Save all $1 bills for tips ! You will need them everywhere !
I recommend 50 of them or so. seriously.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Helen, check cruise critic, too. Find the roll call for our cruise. Trp and I are already there, though I keep forgeting about it. LOL Booze gets snuck on because drinks are so expensive onboard. And yes, the cruise lines do care what you bring on. They check for contriband, including alcohol. Everything bought onboard is done through credit cards. Everything brought from on shore will be checked, including alcohol. I'm not sure but I think they hold it until you debark back in Miami. I will have Trp check into it since he has so much free time. LOL I did invest in some "Rum Runners". Google them. They might or might not got caught. We are allowed to bring on 1 750ml bottle of wine. We can also bring some soda but they don't specify exactly how much. Anyone in suites are allowed to bring on more wine but they charge an uncork fee per bottle.

Anyone interested in the Roll Call here is the link http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=985504&page=25. They are planning a sail away meet and greet
Our Meet and Greet will be held on Sunday afternoon at the Lido Deck Pool Bar right after the Muster Drill.
along with the M&G some are planning on doing an optional gift swap, if anyone is interested in doing that here are the basics of that.
One thing that I have done in the past, is a gift exchange. You participate if you wish, but bring a gift that represents your hometown. $$limit $10.00 or so, unless someone has another idea. If you bring a gift, you get a gift. Nothing big, but it is fun. I brought a Syracuse University Tee shirt last year. One year I got a pen holder for my desk, I still have and use it and it reminds me of the cruise.
Check out the Roll Call, we are going to be sharing this trip with some pretty interesting people other than just our group.

Alkeehaul.....complicated subject
, I assure you Carnival CL does care what you bring on the ship.....some of their employees don't. I have read countless threads about this and the best way to begin is with CCLs policy.
When getting on the ship on the first day, each adult is allowed one 750mil bottle of wine in their carry on bag, it's against the rules to bring any type of alcohol in your checked bags. (if there is any caught in the checked bags it is confiscated but returned to you on the last night of the cruise, usually VERY LATE, if it is factory sealed. Unsealed or re-containerized will be disposed of with out any reimbursement. Your checked bags are scanned with an Xray machine that can detect liquids in clear plastic (rum runners), it is a toss up as to weather the open the bad and take it or not. Some get busted and some get by with it. A risk at best. Many people report they have successfully brought booze onbaord in every conceivable fashion and never got caught. Many claim they have indeed been caught and lost their stuff. Anyone deciding to smuggle the booze on has to me prepared to lose their stash.
If you buy bottled alcohol at the ports, they will take it from you as you board (if they catch it) and return it to you at the end of the cruise. There are limitations as to how much you can bring back into the USA through customs, I have no idea what those are because there are differing reports on that. There are countless threads on Cruise Critic on the subject of "smuggling booze on board", if you are concidering doing that I encourage you to go there and do a search and read.
If you take you legally brought on bottle of wine to the dinning room or the steak house to enjoy with your meal, they do charge a (I think) a $10 corkage fee per bottle. We are taking a small corkscrew.

Cash or credit cards:
Dilli was close on her answer. Everything you buy on the ship is done with your Sail and Sign Card and then paid with whatever method you chose when printing out your cruise documents, usually a credit or debit card. On the islands, most of the shops accept CC or cash, I'm not sure about debit cards. Personally, I don't plan of using my debit card on the islands. I would rather use CC to take advantage of my free flight credits, but that's just my opinion. One bad kicker on using a CC on the islands is that most CC companies charge an international usage fee...mine is 3% per purchase. I haven't checked with my bank on that for my debit card. If you are paying for an excursion outside of CCLs sponsored trips, cab rides and maybe even restaurants and bars you will need cash, most, if not all, accept good old Uncle Sam dollars. Be sure you ask before ordering or buying anything.

Cell phone use at sea. This is one you really need to be careful with as it can get quite expensive. When out at sea your phone will use the ships satellite link up and then they bill your phone service and outrageous amount then your phone service charges you for international roaming for all the time you phone is on. I've read about people ending up with phone bills in the thousands...yes THOUSANDS of dollars. My phone will be turned off and placed in the cabin safe before sail away and not taken out till the last morning back in Miami.

Internet Access (Wifi) the ship does have WIFI and you CAN use it with your laptop (and I suppose with your Iphone type thingy) but it is also VERY expensive. They also have an internet cafe you can use, again expensive. I am taking my laptop, but don't plan on using it for internet use. BTW, I hear the internet speed is very very slow.

I am FAR from being any kind of an expert on any of this, but I have done extensive reading and researching all I can about cruising on Carnival Cruise Lines. Some of my info may not be 100% correct but most is pretty close I think. If anyone has any questions I will be more than happy to share what I have read or I will try to find an answer. You can post it here, PM me or I can PM my Email to anyone that wants it.

Hope some of this helps a little.