Brown Cafe Bon Voyage Weekend!

moreluck

golden ticket member
Everybody should pack those little, high intesity flashlights.

When we did our cruise, we left from Puerto Rico. Arrived in P.R. the day after a hurricane hit and power was still not restored. Flashlight came in handy !!

klein

Für Meno :)
For people that have gone on cruises before, what advice would you give me on stuff to take that might seem out of the ordinary, but vital. I thought the duct tape was a good idea. (I LOVE duct tape and will use it anytime I can!) The extra power strip, who knew? Finding out from others that boarding ASAP is the best plan was a good idea too. Go to the pursers immediately and purchase your off board excursions, if you haven't already. Any other ideas?

See a doc or pharmacist for preventing sea-sickness ! Very important. Or your holiday/cruise vacation could be destroyed.
My aunt was telling me, she got small patches, that go on each ear (1 ear one day, 2nd day, 2nd ear). She never got sick.
But the 1 day cruise to the Bahamas I had with her. She got really sick (without prevention). She was out for 4 days.
Don't reley on the ship doc to cure it. Once you have it, it's too late.
You'll see many that won't leave thier cabins after a day or 2. It's very common, people get sick.

If you love the ocean and beaches like I do, always take swimwear and towels with you on the Islands, along with plastic bag for the wet stuff, later on.

Other then that, I can't remember what my aunt would suggest. She and my mother have been on a 10 day cruise last year.
If anything comes to mind, I'll re-post.
Oh, if you have digital cameras that require AAA batteries. You may not find them anywhere !
Best to have a dig camera that is rechargable or bring enough spare batteries with you.

Also, don't buy goods and Tshirts from people on the beach, or the first ones you meet.
As it was in the Bahamas, T Shirts sold on the Beach for $10 each... and at the port store only $5.00 each.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
We've been on a few cruises. My suggestion: don't worry. This should be a very casual cruise, no pressure about anything. Take the basics and maybe a bottle of wine or whatever and that's really all you need.

If you haven't booked any excursions yet they can usually be booked through the tv in your cabin and the tickets will be delivered to your room. If you do it that way you don't have to wait in line at the shore excursion desk. It's been a while since I've been on a Carnival ship but I assume that this ship will have that TV ordering system too. We're doing the cave tubing / atv thing in Belize that Trp found which is not booked through the cruise line. The tour ops say you can invite other passengers so feel free to come with us it you are interested in that experience.

Room service is free. We like to have breakfast delivered to our cabin and eat on the balcony. We always give the server a couple of dollars for bringing bringing the food to our room.

You can always get cash at the pursers desk.

The tip is often included in the charge when you order a drink, check the bill before you sign it.

Cabins are tiny, if you haven't been on a cruise ship before be aware that your room will be microscopic. When we get onto the ship we unpack and store our suitcases under the beds, otherwise they take up too much of the closet/room.

I used to stress out and worry about what to pack but we figured out a few cruises ago that it works best for us to take as little as possible. We used to pack things that we would never use so now we make a it a priority not to bring too much. Other than basic clothing and toiletries all I'm bringing are a compact steamer, a brita pitcher (to refill water bottles, ship's tap water usually tastes like chlorine and constantly buying bottled water from them is expensive), a compact camera, my laptop, sunscreen and a bottle of my favorite adult beverage.

Just relax and go with the flow and you'll have a great time.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member

I would very much like to go on this adventure. Originally I posted that I was going to go, in fact, I'm scheduled off that week. Unfortunately, things in life don't always work out the way I want. My mom has been diagnosed with a extremely bad type of cancer and was given "months to live", so I decided not to go. She is hanging on fine now, she looks great, but is weak from the chemo. I'm trying to spend as much time as I can with her now. You guys will have a blast, I want to go so bad. We did A Carnival East Caribbean cruise a couple of years ago on the exact same type of ship, so I know exactly what everyone is in for as far as that goes. My wife and I want to do the West Caribbean next, we have always wanted to see those temples and I would love to snorkel the reefs down that way and drink a few Margaritas on the beach. Hopefully, I will get the opportunity to meet all of you on a future cruise or another place and time.

Last edited:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
For people that have gone on cruises before, what advice would you give me on stuff to take that might seem out of the ordinary, but vital. I thought the duct tape was a good idea. (I LOVE duct tape and will use it anytime I can!) The extra power strip, who knew? Finding out from others that boarding ASAP is the best plan was a good idea too. Go to the pursers immediately and purchase your off board excursions, if you haven't already. Any other ideas?

Helen, PM Trp you email addy and have him send you the list of things to take. There are some good ideas there.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS

Ya, Trp gave me a good idea. As soon as you can have the steward empty your refrigerator (unless you plan drinking what they have in there). This circumvents any charges that may not apply.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
See a doc or pharmacist for preventing sea-sickness ! Very important. Or your holiday/cruise vacation could be destroyed.
My aunt was telling me, she got small patches, that go on each ear (1 ear one day, 2nd day, 2nd ear). She never got sick.
But the 1 day cruise to the Bahamas I had with her. She got really sick (without prevention). She was out for 4 days.
Don't reley on the ship doc to cure it. Once you have it, it's too late.
You'll see many that won't leave thier cabins after a day or 2. It's very common, people get sick.

If you love the ocean and beaches like I do, always take swimwear and towels with you on the Islands, along with plastic bag for the wet stuff, later on.

Other then that, I can't remember what my aunt would suggest. She and my mother have been on a 10 day cruise last year.
If anything comes to mind, I'll re-post.
Oh, if you have digital cameras that require AAA batteries. You may not find them anywhere !
Best to have a dig camera that is rechargable or bring enough spare batteries with you.

Also, don't buy goods and Tshirts from people on the beach, or the first ones you meet.
As it was in the Bahamas, T Shirts sold on the Beach for $10 each... and at the port store only $5.00 each.
Did she also tell you how expensive those patches are? Did she tell you that bonine works as well and doesn't have the side effects that the patches do and are relatively inexpensive? Did she tell you that many times Sea Bands will do the same with no side effects at all?

Last edited:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I would very much like to go on this adventure. Originally I posted that I was going to go, in fact, I'm scheduled off that week. Unfortunately, things in life don't always work out the way I want. My mom has been diagnosed with a extremely bad type of cancer and was given "months to live", so I decided not to go. She is hanging on fine now, she looks great, but is weak from the chemo. I'm trying to spend as much time as I can with her now. You guys will have a blast, I want to go so bad. We did A Carnival East Caribbean cruise a couple of years ago on the exact same type of ship, so I know exactly what everyone is in for as far as that goes. My wife and I want to do the West Caribbean next, we have always wanted to see those temples and I would love to snorkel the reefs down that way and drink a few Margaritas on the beach. Hopefully, I will get the opportunity to meet all of you on a future cruise or another place and time.
Scratch, I sure wish you could go but certainly understand your need to be with your mom. Take care of her. You will be in our prayers, always. D

klein

Did she also tell you how expensive those patches are? Did she tell you that bonine works as well and doesn't have the side effects that the patches do and are relatively inexpensive? Did she tell you that many times Sea Bands will do the same with no side effects at all?

She's on medicare. Can't remember how much she paid for 10 patches.
If I remember correctly, it was $17 in total.

No, it was her first ever cruise. She went to see her Doc, and that's what he recommended her and perscribed her.
MY mother that went along with her, relied on Gravol (a cdn non percription drug, that is very cheap ).

I just know, it's best to get something in advance.
I personally almost got sick on the 1 day cruise to the Bahamas, just because 50% of passengers were holding a bag in front of thier faces, and the sight of that, almost made me sick.
(really rough seas did that).

But, I was smart enough, to hang out by the bar area, where hardly anyone was.
You couldn't even walk in a straight line on the ship, due to the strong motions.
My motto was: If I walk like a drunk, I might as well be drunk.... and went got beer..LOL

I did end up feeling sorry for my Aunt though. Got to beautiful Bahamas finally, in a fine , classy resort that was fantastic, with the nicest white, largest ocean beach, I've ever seen.. Yet, she ended up going straight to bed.
Next morning she still didn't feel better.... and later that day we had to return to Lauderdale.
Even though that ride back was pretty calm, it still disturbed her.
She spent the next day , all day in bed.. the 2nd day, half of it.

That's the only reason, I want you guys to make sure you're prepared in advance, not to get sick.
It would definitly ruin the whole vacation and cruise.

I might be a jerk at times. But, I do have a heart for the hardworking UPSers on this site and everywhere else.

For beer drinkers : It's much cheaper to buy a bucket of beer (5 at a time), comes with ice. Then to buy them single.
And you can take a couple of those with you, if you're just planning to hit the beach, (in your pack-along bag).

Having one of those little coolies (beer holders that keep them cool and insolated) is almost a must !

You guys all have fun. Wishing you all the sunshine possible with no rain, and only bright days for your entire trip and vacation.

P

pickup

Sorry you couldn't make the trip , scratch. Thankfully, you have the option to spend the time with your mother instead.

you can get bonine generic free at the infirmary and sometimes at the purser's desk. It is best to start the day before the cruise though. I have read that it does help most people that take it and usually does not make you drowsy. Dramamine is notorious for making you sleepy, but they claim to have a non-drowsy version. Haven't heard any good or bad reports on that.
Some people take Ginger root caps and say it helps.

We can mark you in the "good son" column, my heart and prayers go out for you, your family and your Mom.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
When we went, each adult was allowed to bring one bottle of wine or champagne with them. We double bagged them in large freezer bags and wrapped them in a beach towel before we packed them in the suitcase. I "accidently" got confused and took a bottle of 12 year old single malt Scotch in my suitcase instead. This saved tremendously on my alcohol bill much to Carnival's dismay. The bottle of wine my wife took we stuck in the mini-fridge and saved it for the last evening meal in the main dining room. The only alcohol we bought on board was when we got a bottle of rose to drink with our meal at the "Supper Club", which is called "Scarlett's" on this ship and I would highly recommend it. Its the best food you will eat all week and well worth the extra cost. They don't have time to go through the luggage of three thousand passengers when you board. It amazing how fast they load all the luggage, food, and other supplies on the ship when they are in port a few hours between cruises. You can buy bottles on board in the duty free shop once you hit the sea, but any bottle you buy while cruising will be put in storage and they don't give them back until the night before you get back to Florida. The best sale was the first night at sea, I got a $50 bottle of Scotch for $25. I wasn't impressed with the duty free shops in the ports we went to, they were just a little bit lower than retail, and the cruise lines own the shops they try to get you to visit.

klein

Speaking of scotch, still ahve my 3 bottles dutyfree from the day cruise. Johnny Walker Blue ($135.00), Johnny Walker Green ($51.00), and Royal Salute ($97.00).
Planning to resell them one day, or open 1 up, if I win the lottery LOL

upsgrunt

Hey Steve-
How did the big wing ding send off party go last night?
Did everyone look like what you thought they would look like?
Give us some details.