Can they do this to us? (rights-related question)

SunnyBro

We recently got a new manager in the building who has been trying to heavily push numbers with disregard to us. Sending people home, staffing us as low as possible, people not demanding their 3.5, and all that.

Recently she's staggered us by 10 minutes, meaning that if our start time is 6 pm we're only on the clock at 6:10 pm. The thing is that only the loaders in the building have been staggered. The pickoff, unload, and everyone else are not staggered and start work at 6 pm. She's intentionally delaying the loader's start time by 10 minutes to let the flow build up and take time away from us. I understand why she's doing it from a numbers perspective, but something about that feels wrong. Is this some sort of contract or rights violation or is she allowed to do this?

Satuirus2000

This is happening at our hub at Worldport except it's just 5 minutes as of now. It never surprises me how far this company will go to save a buck. Record profits but they still gotta squeeze that :censored2: dry.

Nah
Sending people home, staffing us as low as possible, people not demanding their 3.5, and all that.
File on any supervisors performing work. You should be doing this anyway, but ESPECIALLY if people are being sent home.

As to people not demanding their guarantee, that's unfortunately their problem, not hers. Can't blame her for that one.
Recently she's staggered us by 10 minutes, meaning that if our start time is 6 pm we're only on the clock at 6:10 pm.
If your scheduled/posted start time is 6:00, you start at 6:00. Period. If you're not getting paid for those 10 minutes, 50 minutes for the week, file a grievance. Every time it happens.
Is this some sort of contract or rights violation or is she allowed to do this?
She can change your start times but they have to be posted, usually before the end of the last scheduled day of the previous week.

Swanson

Henry Swanson's my name, and excitement's my game.
We recently got a new manager in the building who has been trying to heavily push numbers with disregard to us. Sending people home, staffing us as low as possible, people not demanding their 3.5, and all that.

Recently she's staggered us by 10 minutes, meaning that if our start time is 6 pm we're only on the clock at 6:10 pm. The thing is that only the loaders in the building have been staggered. The pickoff, unload, and everyone else are not staggered and start work at 6 pm. She's intentionally delaying the loader's start time by 10 minutes to let the flow build up and take time away from us. I understand why she's doing it from a numbers perspective, but something about that feels wrong. Is this some sort of contract or rights violation or is she allowed to do this?
They can do it.Their excuse is it takes a package 10 minutes to travel from the unload to the load.

OrionIsDaddy

You probably aren't losing time.

Unloaders get off the clock at least 10 minutes before loaders wrap their car....if it bothers you that much than use your seniority to move to the unload.

Swanson

If your scheduled/posted start time is 6:00, you start at 6:00. Period. If you're not getting paid for those 10 minutes, 50 minutes for the week, file a grievance. Every time it happens.

She can change your start times but they have to be posted, usually before the end of the last scheduled day of the previous week.
If the time isn't posted you can file and win

Swanson

If it's posted as 6:00pm and he's only getting paid from 6:10pm he'll win too.
They pulled that with me put me on stagger without telling me and tell me to come in when the sort started.They would never post the start time for the week scumbag sup wouldn't post it.He went on vacation one week and the start time for the week was posted.I took a photo of it and filed away as far back as I could. Won that one as well.

PT Car Washer

Common practice in most hubs and preloads.

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.

I was reading...

And I mean...

I was really getting into this story.

Then you said she....

You clearly don't even lift.

Geezis man.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

You must be new here

Karma...

thats totally mean and bitchy !......wait until she starts staggering the breaks !.......issues to wildcat strike over !....

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
@SunnyBro Management will do anything as long as they are allowed to get away with it. Have everyone REFUSE to go home,demand the contractual guarantee and EFF her numbers, the ONLY numbers you should care about are the numbers on your paycheck. If you ahve 30 days seniority tell them to kick rocks if they say you arent going fast enough. This isa rough and tumble company to work for and you HAVE to stand up for yourself or they will steamroll all over you