Cancel big ticket items , Vacations even Christmas !!!

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
#1 , love or hate Obama and his visions with mandated healthcare for all has come back to haunt the Teamsters . We , and I use that term very carefully have put all our eggs in his basket just because We are supposed to as Teamsters . What was the first item the cmpany chose to throw a fastball on , that would be healthcare . They know that in the end they will get what they ask for . Oh yea we might get some mediocre wage increases , sme more 22.3 combo jobs , maybe even an entry level wage increase , but they will get their foot in the door on our healthcare , even if its a small foothold . Given the fact that in 2017 , when Obamacare will no longer be waivered for Teamsters , and will be fully treated as taxable income for us , why would they afford us premium healthcare ? .

More fallacies & B.S. On average, the cost of health care premiums has risen more than 70% of the course of our last two contracts -- that's more than $10K annually per each employee covered by a family plan. Do you think that UPS can continue to endure these costs, when its biggest competitors pay NOTHING toward health care for the lion's share of its workforce? No, we shouldn't have to pay for health care this contract given what we've accomplished to help UPS post near-record profits. But you'd be naive to think that going forward, we'll always enjoy free health care. And a total idiot to blame it on Obama.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Obviously, both sides will go into negotiations asking for things they know they'll never get.

In the end, they will compromise and both sides will feel they won. That's Negotiation 101

Except UPS will not say so and the Teamsters will be strutting big time.
It's an unwritten rule that regardless of what is negotiated, the Teamsters crow and UPS is silent except to say it is a good contract for the employees.

Just the nature of politics.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
I'll be shocked if new hire pt'ers get insurance.

UPS is also attempting to eliminate the $1/hour skilled pay premium.

Getting up in the middle of the night for $8.50/hour, with no benefits, for an average of three hours per day... who's that going to attract? UPS has long relied on soccer mom's to fill out its work force, SPAing and clerking. That way it can bill itself as "America's Best Company For Women." Uh-oh...

menotyou

bella amicizia
UPS is also attempting to eliminate the $1/hour skilled pay premium.

Getting up in the middle of the night for $8.50/hour, for an average of three hours per day... who's that going to attract?
Up here, you get it automatically. So, in essence, they already have. But, it's an impossible job. They can't keep people at my center. They have, no joke, gone through over 50 people in the last 4 months. No joke. I use to make bets about the fresh meat's expiration date, but this is ridiculous.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Up here, you get it automatically. So, in essence, they already have. But, it's an impossible job. They can't keep people at my center. They have, no joke, gone through over 50 people in the last 4 months. No joke. I use to make bets about the fresh meat's expiration date, but this is ridiculous.

They give it here automatically as well. After the Holidays, everybody that was good at the job rejected it, forcing them to hire the one's they didn't want to (unloaders who take nearly twice the time as everyone else, Preloaders with misload problems, etc.)

menotyou

bella amicizia
They give it here automatically as well. After the Holidays, everybody that was good at the job rejected it, forcing them to hire the one's they didn't want to (unloaders who take nearly twice the time as everyone else, Preloaders with misload problems, etc.)
Remember when UPS wanted the cream of the crop?

Babagounj

Strength through joy

I recall years ago , HR would parade groups thru the building of future hires , we always counted the number in the group. Because we ended up calling the new hires from those groups by number , usually something like 1 of 42 or 1 of 30 . The last one was 1 of 6 , seems the available labor pool was shrinking .
In my lifetime I have seen 1000's of hopefuls think about working for UPS , yet only a handful actually doing so.
This building had over 12 Colleges within a 10 miles radius .

rudy5150

Calm down people we arent going on strike. Even before obamacare health costs were rising every year dont be a fool and blame it on obama! As far as new part timers not getting insurance and minimal raises....i feel sorry for you full time drivers..load quality, misloads, will never be solved. Its not totally all the part timers fault tho, what is demanded out of these loaders is riduculous for what they make. You can partly blame yourself tho for selling them out over the past 2-3 contracts. You screwed yourselves. Like you would bust your ass everyday for 12-14 an hour

Calm down people we arent going on strike. Even before obamacare health costs were rising every year dont be a fool and blame it on obama! As far as new part timers not getting insurance and minimal raises....i feel sorry for you full time drivers..load quality, misloads, will never be solved. Its not totally all the part timers fault tho, what is demanded out of these loaders is riduculous for what they make. You can partly blame yourself tho for selling them out over the past 2-3 contracts. You screwed yourselves. Like you would bust your ass everyday for 12-14 an hour
I blame everything on NOBAMA...including you

Me either. My wife begs me to wear underwear. I don't see what the big deal is. Some people are really freaked out by it.
We had a driver in our center that felt the same way. Until his cheapass pants splint down the middle!He says he will calloff sick before he goes to work again without underwear. Some people just have to learn the HArdway!!

UPSGUY72

We aren't going to strike and the company with make sure of that. A strike is a lose , lose for both sides especially the company. There is 5 more months to ratify a contract that being said the company isn't going to give us everything we want 5 months out they will hold on till it gets closer to Aug 1 in hope of more give and take. As it gets closer to Aug 1 they will start getting calls from there larger customer with concerns about service once those calls start coming there strong arm tactics will lessen.

thedownhillEXPRESS

We aren't going to strike and the company with make sure of that. A strike is a lose , lose for both sides especially the company. There is 5 more months to ratify a contract that being said the company isn't going to give us everything we want 5 months out they will hold on till it gets closer to Aug 1 in hope of more give and take. As it gets closer to Aug 1 they will start getting calls from there larger customer with concerns about service once those calls start coming there strong arm tactics will lessen.

But is paying anything towards healthcare really a non starter for the union?

If it is I really think the company may believe they need to make a stand now rather than wait until the next contract.

With Fedex ground growing at the rate they are because of the BS model it is with non employee employees making a third of what you do without any benefits to speak of, they may be left with little choice....