Cancel culture—-ON TOPIC

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
She posted anti-trans stuff a while ago. The star of the show has a trans sister. They told her to chill on political posts. She then posted some incorrect info about Jews in Germany and compared her plight as a conservative to the Jews during the Holocaust. She wasn’t a good enough actress for the show to continue to put up with her upsetting the rest of the crew.
Nice story Bruh!

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
She posted anti-trans stuff a while ago. The star of the show has a trans sister. They told her to chill on political posts. She then posted some incorrect info about Jews in Germany and compared her plight as a conservative to the Jews during the Holocaust. She wasn’t a good enough actress for the show to continue to put up with her upsetting the rest of the crew.
SS asked for facts, not generalities. If you can’t quote what she posted, you’re only proving your ignorance.

Supersoaker

Proud Republican Against Trump (RAT)
“Jews were beaten in the streets, not by Nazi soldiers but by their neighbors…even by children. Because history is edited, most people today don’t realize that to get to the point where Nazi soldiers could easily round up thousands of Jews, the government first made their own neighbors hate them simply for being Jews. How is that any different from hating someone for their political views?”

The main part I don't agree with, because it is hopelessly naive, is the part about history being edited. Of course it is, we look at history through imperfect glass.

Otherwise, I find this mostly factual. It ends badly though. The question of how this is different from persecution based on your political views is rife with disagreement.

What if your political views are that of the Nazis?

Dumb move.

It will be fine

SS asked for facts, not generalities. If you can’t quote what she posted, you’re only proving your ignorance.
Without the context of her previous behavior the quote that eventually got her fired doesn’t seem terrible. The reality is the quote about Jews was the final straw. If you are toxic at your workplace you’ll eventually be fired. Pointing to only the most recent bad behavior doesn’t give the full picture.

It will be fine

Not unlike NFL owners and Colon Kaepernick, right!
Only if the 49ers were the only team that wouldn’t hire him. The rest of the teams colluding to black list him is an issue. It’s similar but not exactly the same, both people just aren’t good enough to warrant the headaches that come with them. Gina got hired by a competitor almost immediately.

Supersoaker

The more I think about it, the more problematic the "Because history is edited, most people today don’t realize that..." part is either.

I don't believe this to be the case. Perhaps most people don't realize it, I have no way of knowing. If they don't, it is because they did not seek to learn. But she seems to be suggesting that there is some attempt to hide the fact that "to get to the point where Nazi soldiers could easily round up thousands of Jews, the government first made their own neighbors hate them simply for being Jews." I don't agree with this at all and it has some pretty dark and totally untrue overtones. I have read dozens, if not hundreds of books on the rise of Nazism and find that most sources are in clear agreement here. Are there some radical or revisionist histories that claim otherwise? I dunno, probably. I mean, anybody can write anything. :censored2:, you can sit down and write a nomination for the Nobel Prize for Donald Trump, but it doesn't mean much.

The more I ponder this the darker and more conspiratorial the tone seems to be. When you take the above section and put it in the context of the last sentence, it becomes a bit of a mess and starts to dovetail into an argument that the some openly racist groups are making - that their own persecution is a sign of society's intolerance. Tiki torch parades with people shouting Jews Will Not Replace Us, should be met with outrage. If I were there, I would have been punching some Nazis.

There's another lesson of the nazi era. A lot of good people sat back for far too long and let it happen without openly and, if needed, forcefully opposing it until it was too late. There were certainly those that did, but too often it was because of their opposing political views rather than their commitment to human rights and this meant the opposition was fractured and easily defeated in detail.

Last edited:

Supersoaker

Only if the 49ers were the only team that wouldn’t hire him. The rest of the teams colluding to black list him is an issue. It’s similar but not exactly the same, both people just aren’t good enough to warrant the headaches that come with them. Gina got hired by a competitor almost immediately.
Yeah, I thought about going into that angle. You are right.

Supersoaker

Without the context of her previous behavior the quote that eventually got her fired doesn’t seem terrible. The reality is the quote about Jews was the final straw. If you are toxic at your workplace you’ll eventually be fired. Pointing to only the most recent bad behavior doesn’t give the full picture.
I'm pretty freaking toxic at my workplace. We are a small center, maybe 120 people. I figure that maybe five of us didn't vote for Trump. I am the most vocal by far but far less vocal than I would like to be. I have had to keep my mouth shut about 80% of the time politics comes up. If I had not moderated my right to free speech, I would surely have been canned as disruptive.

tadpole

Technically Carano wasn’t fired. But the reason they are choosing not to employ her in the future was made pretty clear.
“Gina Carano is not currently employed by Lucasfilm and there are no plans for her to be in the future,” the production company said in a statement. “Nevertheless, her social media posts denigrating people based on their cultural and religious identities are abhorrent and unacceptable.”

None of our tweets denigrated people based on their cultural or religious identities. This is a complete sham.

Whether or not Disney has the legal right to fire her, I don’t know. Regardless, we have the right to be upset with Disney.

Last edited:

Supersoaker

The more I think about it, the more problematic the "Because history is edited, most people today don’t realize that..." part is either.

I don't believe this to be the case. Perhaps most people don't realize it, I have no way of knowing. If they don't, it is because they did not seek to learn. But she seems to be suggesting that there is some attempt to hide the fact that "to get to the point where Nazi soldiers could easily round up thousands of Jews, the government first made their own neighbors hate them simply for being Jews." I don't agree with this at all and it has some pretty dark and totally untrue overtones. I have read dozens, if not hundreds of books on the rise of Nazism and find that most sources are in clear agreement here. Are there some radical or revisionist histories that claim otherwise? I dunno, probably. I mean, anybody can write anything. *, you can sit down and write a nomination for the Nobel Prize for Donald Trump, but it doesn't mean much.

The more I ponder this the darker and more conspiratorial the tone seems to be. When you take the above section and put it in the context of the last sentence, it becomes a bit of a mess and starts to dovetail into an argument that the some openly racist groups are making - that their own persecution is a sign of society's intolerance. Tiki torch parades with people shouting Jews Will Not Replace Us, should be met with outrage. If I were there, I would have been punching some Nazis.

There's another lesson of the nazi era. A lot of good people sat back for far too long and let it happen without openly and, if needed, forcefully opposing it until it was too late. There were certainly those that did, but too often it was because of their opposing political views rather than their commitment to human rights and this meant the opposition was fractured and easily defeated in detail.
I kind truncated my post. Wasn't sure I wanted to get partisan. But everything is partisan. so the heck with it.

It wasn't just that the Nazi's told the people to hate Jews... they made up a wall of lies about why they should hate Jews. Jews were using Christian children in blood sacrifices, Jews had stabbed Germany in the back in 1918, Jews were plotting to bring down and subjugate the Aryan race. The lies were how they got the average German to hate Jews and engage in their mass murder. Those lies were accepted by the masses and became the means that the Nazis used to achieve their goals of absolute power.

I believe that Trump and Trumpism deals in the same sort of lies.

vantexan

I kind truncated my post. Wasn't sure I wanted to get partisan. But everything is partisan. so the heck with it.

It wasn't just that the Nazi's told the people to hate Jews... they made up a wall of lies about why they should hate Jews. Jews were using Christian children in blood sacrifices, Jews had stabbed Germany in the back in 1918, Jews were plotting to bring down and subjugate the Aryan race. The lies were how they got the average German to hate Jews and engage in their mass murder. Those lies were accepted by the masses and became the means that the Nazis used to achieve their goals of absolute power.

I believe that Trump and Trumpism deals in the same sort of lies.
Name the lies?