Contract deal soon?

Cole

Many carry on like the Teamsters haven't done anything but collect due's. Now that is propaganda. Drudging up what the Teamsters had to do back in the day to win without consideration of the times.

Had to do eh? I imagine you didn't look up Allen Dorfman, so he had to have a GulfStream Jet, then let cs rent it for $30,000.00 a month or something, when our money paid for it?!

We have paid them our hard earned money to get those benefits, and in the past they helped themselves to alot of our $$$ me brother!

Cole

m no die hard teamster, I believe they have mismanaged funds etc, but I don't want to talk about it on EVERY single thread that comes along.

Good point. There are multiple threads on the topic. Sorry for my hand in getting off topic etc...

W

westsideworma

Good point. There are multiple threads on the topic. Sorry for my hand in getting off topic etc...

no disrespect intended cole, its just some people are a little heavy handed with the apwa (I wasn't referring to you) and if you don't buy into them you're "misinformed". I do believe a change is needed I'm just not convinced they're it yet.

Bill

Engineer, I think you better get ready for a shocker. If I would have been told this from just one side or the other I would have shrugged it off too. But I'm getting this from both UPS management and the president of the local. And I've been hearing this since last fall. What, both of them are just lying to me? For what purpose? And I'm sure not the only one it's been told to. If you think about it, it makes perfect sense. Neither side can afford a srtrike. The Teamsters need a healthy and competitive UPS. It's their cash cow.Trying to break the union and holding a gun to Hoffa's head makes no sense either. They need each other. And personally I expect a long term deal. UPS has alot invested in next summer's Olympics in China. The last thing they need is a contract hanging over their heads while they are on a worldwide stage. I can see big fanfare announcement right around founders day. Both sides standing there praising each other. "Peace in our time." (grin) Will it be good for the union members? Who knows? But I sure don't think it's "absurd nonsense". Again from what I've been told I'll be more surprised if it doesn't happen then if it does.
Stop being naive. Both the Teamsters and the management want you to believe that a deal is worked out, so that the word is spread to the customer base. This will keep UPS operating with fear of losing customers in the near future. If we lose customers to Fed-Ex or another competitor, UPS loses money, some employees are laid off, and thus the Teamsters collect union dues from less workers (a loss to their pocket) which is all that they are interested in anyway.
Saying that a deal is worked out means nothing. What are the details? What have they agreed upon? They won't tell you this, because there is nothing to tell.

1eyejack

check out this site from other local teamsters www.teamsters916.org look what they write there is NO HOPE for the central states thats is wht coming out of there mouth and its in writing what else is it thats proof to me lets get out now before the bottom really falls out ..lets join the APWA at least we know we can correct it by droping the dead weight that haunts us .. Lets us Wake up ....

badpas

1eye. that was extremely good info and everybody should read this. Hopefully its accurate, but never the less exactly what we've all been talking about for quite some time now. Not to mention another prime example for the trustees who are part teamster officials, to show this was coming along time ago and yet nothing was done or at least not enough. The burden lies square on our shoulders to make a serious decision that will serve our best wishes or face the consiquences. If you want to follow what the article says, the only way is to do it ourselves. There are obviously too many parties involved to even think it would help or please everyone. Its just not possible. The only way is to cut our losses now, wipe the slate clean and put us the hourly employees of UPS and FREIGHT and everyone else that may fall in the same category. And like it or not the APWA is just that. It is organized for the hourly employees under the teamster represention. Their slogan says it all, '' for the people, by the people" This is the only way to stay united as a whole in times of destress such as we are having now. If the cs trustees would CHANGE the way the pension was ran or CHANGE the way the pension was paid for example, instead of choping everyones pension the same, pay the benificiaries according to how much each employers were paying into the fund to start and see where that got us, but I know they wouldn't do that because its the right thing to do because, being only 15% but still the largest, most wouldn't think that was fair. So instead the largest and possibly the biggest paying share into the fund is now looking elsewhere. So at the very least we owe it to ourselves to do whats best for us even though most wouldn't understand we are talking about our futures and only we can do something about it. It is obvious that in light of this new information that not only cs but also the teamsters who are just as responsible for thinking they could handcuff us by setting all the other rules to keep what they think they deserve instead of getting what they should. There are some extremely dark days ahead if WE don't do something and only WE can do it for ourselves. WE shouldn't put our trust into someone elses hand who has proven time and time again to put themselves ahead of how they work for. Change is enevitable and if we can't roll with the punches then we deserve what we get. Lets also remember, these chances don't grow on trees. I've heard all the speculations of using a union busting attorney, being unproven, not really a union but lets remember that everything in the past came from people who wouldn't take no for an answer and when everything seemingly could and would not work something did and the difference is because its the right way and the way it should have been from the beginning. Individual {or as close as it could be and still be called a pension} retirement funds completely visible via internet, to see what you'll have so you can decide when you want to retire and not when your told, because its your money. You've earned it, you should be able to do what ever you want, when ever you want and when its your time to leave this planet what you have left goes to your family or whoever you claim as your beneficiary. I say its time for change and there's no time like the present. Everything else is a costs us in more ways than one.

Fullhouse

I never voted for any trustee at central states but thats what they say. Yep it looks like its time to cut my losses and run. What? You say I'm union buster? I'm turning my back on my union brothers and sisters. I say no! I don't see any of my fellow teamsters, whom are not in CS offering any condolences, I dont hear the cries of 1000's of teamsters from differant funds asking why should they suffer lets help them out. Be realistic, those other guys are thinking "whew, I'm glad it's them and not us."
Bottom line its looking as if the teamster are wathing out for the numbers that can keep him in office and accepting the others as collateral damage!
Want me to change my mind , then tell me all those regional VPs' , CS trustees, Keegle and Hoffa have given up there preferred pension plan and accepte only one plan, the one their local partcipates in.
Hopefully I can last 10 more years on the pkg car. $1000 for 5yrs , $2000 for 10 and lets see I had 15.95 yrs vested at CS before the cuts which should be $1595. According to the calculator on CS website if I retire at 48 yrs old (4 part time + 26 Full time) I will get a grand total of $1450 a month from CS+ who knows from UPS. I thought that my vested yrs were solid and my years after, were hit with the 6% penalty under 65 (because I had less than 20 before the cuts were implemented) Not the whole frigging thing! I would rather work 10 more years under APWA and take a chance to get $2000 a month than to be a part of a pension that goes bellie up and I end up with barely a $1000 a month govt retirement check. Oh by the way, single employer plans may go bellie more than multi employer funds, but what part of the single plans go bad when a 3rd party handles the fund?

O

oldupsman

Engineer,
I'm sorry my post doesn't fit in with your plans for APWA world domination. Time will tell sir which one of us is being "naive".

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Engineer,
I'm sorry my post doesn't fit in with your plans for APWA world domination. Time will tell sir which one of us is being "naive".

I wish you were a registered member, sir, so I could give you some rep points!! A few others on here feel the same about APWA. -Rocky

nospinzone

Engineer,

As opposed to the IBT who I saw trying to organize an ant farm on my way into work today. Who is shooting for world domination here? APWA who is wanting to focus its efforts on representing workers at one company or Teamsters who want their hand in every pocket possible? Im not bustin ya for disagreein with APWA. Its just that I get a little irritated when the pot starts callin the kettle black....

But you are right....
Time will tell.

Looks to me that the dead weight we need to drop is anti-union, anti-teamster members. If you dont like what the Teamsters Union has done then go get you a non-union job or maybe those apwa scabs will give you some of their donation collections to travel around and make empty promises.

There is no deal and for you that have never been involved in negotiations of any kind, much less been a steward/alternate or union activist you should know that ideas and proposals are sent across the table from both sides to review and as always I am sure that the company is not interested in most of the Unions proposals (which come from the membership).

I must be easy to be negative and look for a cowardly way out but I will stick around with the Teamsters Union and try to continue a legacy that was built many years ago by those before us who fought for decent wages/insurance/o.t./pensions and working conditions while you and those like you sit around and complain which admits you are not up for the fight.

wildgoose

WILDGOOSE
Looks to me that the dead weight we need to drop is anti-union, anti-teamster members. If you dont like what the Teamsters Union has done then go get you a non-union job or maybe those apwa scabs will give you some of their donation collections to travel around and make empty promises.

There is no deal and for you that have never been involved in negotiations of any kind, much less been a steward/alternate or union activist you should know that ideas and proposals are sent across the table from both sides to review and as always I am sure that the company is not interested in most of the Unions proposals (which come from the membership).

I must be easy to be negative and look for a cowardly way out but I will stick around with the Teamsters Union and try to continue a legacy that was built many years ago by those before us who fought for decent wages/insurance/o.t./pensions and working conditions while you and those like you sit around and complain which admits you are not up for the fight.
Its not a fight when you don`t have a say so ! They are running the Central States pension and healthcare into the ground but some eyes aren`t open to seeing that. As for legacy i don`t think that is accurate based on past indescretions. They had to know what the future held but steered the other way. They should have restructured the pensions that companies went belly up to save the futre benifits of the companies still paying ? Ya think ? Ups went that way i would expect that too. Putting 100% into ups people is the fight i`m willing to fight ! You didn`t read the article of www.teamsters916.org under central states funding. But you can twist that too i bet !

govols019

You smell that?
The one that said this?
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-2]Central States is an independent trust fund and is operated under the supervision of a federal court in Chicago. All plan assets are held and have been invested by independent court-appointed investment professionals for almost 20 years. The Teamsters Union has no formal role in either investment decisions or in administering the plan.[/SIZE][/FONT]

Braveheart

I was told by a BA that the teamster have told the company if they do not have a deal done by the end of May that they will break off talks until next year. Yes, we would vote on the deal (if done) this summer sometime. We have already started to lose business with the contract coming to an end.
I also have been told that if it is not done in the next few weeks they will break off till next year. I wonder if that is the union drawing a line or if it is a smoke screen to seem tuff. I have been a teamster for like 15 years and we have to have them around with the way we get treated. But it sure seems like we are bluffing a lot lately.

Braveheart

The one that said this?
The teamsters did not ruin it central states did. The dot com crash, Enron debacle, as well as others like Tyco, Global Crossing, 9/11, are other huge factors. Greedy NON-PROFIT hospitals are not helping either with all their increased fees. Then again they allowed CS to hire BCBS who may be cheaper but my health care sufferd for it. If you hired someone to do your personal investing and they kept screwing it up wouldn't you fire them and move on. I am a Teamster but CS sucks!
I wonder what kind of salaries all the top dogs at CS make.

O

oldupsman

Hey Engineer and Nospin
You might remember me. I was the naive guy who was spouting absurd nonsense. And now I'll tell you something else. It's even closer than you think.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
this is the exact reason I have a 401k. If the bottom falls out of this company(unlikely), I will have some retirement in a 401k. If I get something of a pension, then its just extra bonus money. Is there anyone on here that has a 401k?????

Cole

Yeah all those things happened to the market, but why was CS the one that took the hit?! It didn't happen across the board with all pensions in the Teamsters! CS once again took a big hit, and if the past is an indicator of the future it isn't unreasonable to believe it happened again. Either way they are paid to maintain and improve the funds there and they failed their obligations. Yes I have 401k.