Contract rumor.

saintrick

30/60/90 still on table? Read the freight update.

http://www.teamster.org/sites/teamster.org/files/ups_freight_update_march_28_new.pdf

The Company made a proposal on the Package side to move all employees covered by the UPS health insurance plan into a Union plan. Although the Company has proposed to move people from the Company plan into a Union plan, they have not withdrawn their proposal requiring that employees pay the premiums they originally proposed. We did not receive the same proposal at UPS Freight, but we expect to receive a similar proposal the next time we meet.

island1fox

Free loaders... like those persons working at FedEx Ground in similar jobs for far less money & no benefits? I guess these are the "lazy free loaders" you refer to. The middle class needs to wake up and stop accepting soaring executive pay while they total compensation shrinks.

bAGEL,

I am not responsible for Fedx GROUND DRIVERS ----I chose UPS ---where we work very hard and have excellent pay and benefits.

Obama is spreading the wealth ---if you are a UPS Driver who works extremely hard and pays union dues ---UPS Benefit costs skyrocket ---you have to take lower benefits --so the fed x driver can have coverage like you ??? Let the Teamsters organize fed x and get them health benefits--again --not my problem --but Obama is making it our problem.:sad-little:

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
30/60/90 still on table? Read the freight update.

http://www.teamster.org/sites/teamster.org/files/ups_freight_update_march_28_new.pdf

The Company made a proposal on the Package side to move all employees covered by the UPS health insurance plan into a Union plan. Although the Company has proposed to move people from the Company plan into a Union plan, they have not withdrawn their proposal requiring that employees pay the premiums they originally proposed. We did not receive the same proposal at UPS Freight, but we expect to receive a similar proposal the next time we meet.

That had better change or its the picket line August 1st. 4.38 billion in profits and this is their proposal after months of negotiations. Hell, I wish hall would call them back tell them no more negotiations until they pull the requirment for us to pay insurance premiums.
As I have said on an earlier post, in over 20 years, I've been bit by dogs 7 times, sprained my ankle badly, pulled a ligament in my back, had surgury on one of my joints and my knees are starting to go.
The least this company can do for me is to cover my health insurance 100% period. No negotiations on this part.

realbrown1

Brothers, I just spotted someting that I think is important. On Thursday March 28th I saw on browncafe a link to a press release by the IBT saying that ups is proposing to move the health insurance to union run plans.
https://www.browncafe.com/community/attachments/ups_update_march_28-pdf.8783/

Fast forward today and I notice another link from the IBT with an update dated March 28th but this time it says ups is proposing to move the health insurance to union run plans and that ups has not dropped the requirment that empoyees pay 30/60/90 for thier plans. http://www.teamster.org/sites/teamster.org/files/UPS_update_march_28_new.pdf
What's the deal?

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
That had better change or its the picket line August 1st. 4.38 billion in profits and this is their proposal after months of negotiations. Hell, I wish hall would call them back tell them no more negotiations until they pull the requirment for us to pay insurance premiums.
As I have said on an earlier post, in over 20 years, I've been bit by dogs 7 times, sprained my ankle badly, pulled a ligament in my back, had surgury on one of my joints and my knees are starting to go.
The least this company can do for me is to cover my health insurance 100% period. No negotiations on this part.
Am guessing that those dog bites and injuries happened while at work, and if so, should be covered by workers compensation. All injuries sustained on the clock are covered 100% period.

Atomic_Smurf

Free loaders... like those persons working at FedEx Ground in similar jobs for far less money & no benefits? I guess these are the "lazy free loaders" you refer to. The middle class needs to wake up and stop accepting soaring executive pay while they total compensation shrinks.
Employees at FedEx ground will not benefit from Obamacare. Their companie will have to pay a penalty for not providing insurance & the employees who still aren't covered will either be force to pay for insurance or pay a penalty for opting out. The revenue generated will go toward providing insurance for Obama's low-rent, non-working, Obamaphone, welfare voter base.

bbsam

Staff member
Employees at FedEx ground will not benefit from Obamacare. Their companie will have to pay a penalty for not providing insurance & the employees who still aren't covered will either be force to pay for insurance or pay a penalty for opting out. The revenue generated will go toward providing insurance for Obama's low-rent, non-working, Obamaphone, welfare voter base.

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Employees at FedEx ground are subcontractors and will be required to buy their own insurance. FedEx is not responsible for their insurance.

kingOFchester

Employees at FedEx ground are subcontractors and will be required to buy their own insurance. FedEx is not responsible for their insurance.

The route owner is a subcontractor. Fedex encourages, may even require, that the owners own more then one route. The owners then hire drivers to work under them. How Obamacare will affect those is above my knowledge.

I may be wrong with the info I provided, it is just bits I complied together to paint a picture of the contractor model.

bbsam

Staff member
Before a contractor has to provide insurance, he or she will have to employ at least 50 employees. I know of none personally in this situation. However, if there are any, I think the contractor would simply set up a second corporation at employee number 49 and circumvent the requirement.

realbrown1

Am guessing that those dog bites and injuries happened while at work, and if so, should be covered by workers compensation. All injuries sustained on the clock are covered 100% period.

Just rubbed some dirt on the wounds and kept going. Nothing that bled too bad.

iowa boy

Before a contractor has to provide insurance, he or she will have to employ at least 50 employees. I know of none personally in this situation. However, if there are any, I think the contractor would simply set up a second corporation at employee number 49 and circumvent the requirement.

BB,

I am assuming that you provide some sort of insurance for your drivers, but what about those contractors that don't, are they gonna help pay the fine the IC will incur if he or she has no credible coverage. I know the fine is next to nothing for the first couple of years, but what happens 5 years down the road?

I know this particular situation can be applied to a lot of different jobs, but am curious as to your take from a contractors standpoint.

bbsam

Staff member
I am afraid you assume incorrectly. I don't think the contractor incurs the fine. I believe it is the individual who is assessed the penalty. I know of no contractor even considering offering healthcare with the ACA around the corner. If anything, it is final relief to something we have wished we could afford. Now we don't even have to think about it.

iowa boy

I am afraid you assume incorrectly. I don't think the contractor incurs the fine. I believe it is the individual who is assessed the penalty. I know of no contractor even considering offering healthcare with the ACA around the corner. If anything, it is final relief to something we have wished we could afford. Now we don't even have to think about it.

I put in the letters 'IC' when I should have put in the word 'drivers', and you are correct about the individual driver being assessed the penalty, not the contractor.

And thank you for your candor.

iowa

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I put in the letters 'IC' when I should have put in the word 'drivers', and you are correct about the individual driver being assessed the penalty, not the contractor.

And thank you for your candor.

iowa

The Affordable health care law is the most MISUNDERSTOOD law on the books thanks to the likes of FOX NEWS, RUSH LIMBAUGH, SEAN HANNITY and everyone of the talking heads on the right.

BB is correct, only employers who have more than 50 employees are affected by the ACA...

The workers who do not have insurance whether by choice or not, will be assessed a 1% fee,fine, penalty on their tax returns for the year based on thier gross income. This is PEANUTS compared to paying for coverage.

What should be the outrage, is the employers who STILL attempt at getting out of health care coverage alltogether by cutting hours to avoid paying for it.

This has been the trend since Ronald Reagan took office. Insurance companies getting out of coverage by hook or by crook. Had this NOT been the case, there would have been NO NEED for the affordable health care act.

Maybe you missed all the senate hearings on healthcare LONG BEFORE the ACA became law, where insurance provider executives testified that they were actively denying coverage to americans?

Peace

TOS

kingOFchester

If the government was so concerned about healthcare and the well being of the citizens, they should shut down the contractor model at fedex,

By allowing this loophole, they are allowing thousands of drivers go uninsured. The penalty of 1% gross will not even cover the cost for them to be under some government insurance plan.

They are also taking a gamble where the contractor model could take UPS to its knees and the result will be many more people in need of government supplied insurance.

Atomic_Smurf

The Affordable health care law is the most MISUNDERSTOOD law on the books thanks to the likes of FOX NEWS, RUSH LIMBAUGH, SEAN HANNITY and everyone of the talking heads on the right.

BB is correct, only employers who have more than 50 employees are affected by the ACA...

The workers who do not have insurance whether by choice or not, will be assessed a 1% fee,fine, penalty on their tax returns for the year based on thier gross income. This is PEANUTS compared to paying for coverage.

What should be the outrage, is the employers who STILL attempt at getting out of health care coverage alltogether by cutting hours to avoid paying for it.

This has been the trend since Ronald Reagan took office. Insurance companies getting out of coverage by hook or by crook. Had this NOT been the case, there would have been NO NEED for the affordable health care act.

Maybe you missed all the senate hearings on healthcare LONG BEFORE the ACA became law, where insurance provider executives testified that they were actively denying coverage to americans?

Peace

TOS

that 1% fine is just for the first year. The fines increase every year after and the ability to opt out of paying for health insurance for employers w 50 or more employees isn't Reagans fault. Your guys wrote the bill & passed it. It isn't a loophole, it is a plan...to funnel people into the exchanges.

Last edited:

Atomic_Smurf

FedEx Ground has more than 50 employees that are not subcontractors so yes Obamacare will affect employees at FedEx ground. The individual mandate will force will FedEx Ground contractors to either purchas health insurance or pay the fine. Thats how Democrats help working class uninsured Americans.

kingOFchester

FedEx Ground has more than 50 employees that are not subcontractors so yes Obamacare will affect employees at FedEx ground. The individual mandate will force will FedEx Ground contractors to either purchas health insurance or pay the fine. Thats how Democrats help working class uninsured Americans.

I do not know all the facts and such, but each ground route is owned by an individual that may own several routes. They have their own EIN. So if I owned 3 routes and hired 5 drivers under my corporation name, then there would only be 5 employees under Kingofchester routes INC.

bbsam

Staff member
Fedex Ground already provides their employees with healthcare insurance. Contractors will be required to do nothing.