Contract rumor.

thedownhillEXPRESS

What makes the "union run" pension so bad?
I get the feeling that people aren't too fond of the union running the health care... Why?

It gives UPS the upper hand in future negotiations.

Gives them alot more room to put blame on the Union for mismanagement of the funds whenever an increase in contributions is asked.

Last edited:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
What makes the "union run" pension so bad?
I get the feeling that people aren't too fond of the union running the health care... Why?

It's called history.
Google - teamsters pension fund mafia

and then look at the funds under the Teamster controlled plans in 2009 versus the funds under the UPS controlled plans.

Limper

Out For Delivery
It's called history.
Google - teamsters pension fund mafia

and then look at the funds under the Teamster controlled plans in 2009 versus the funds under the UPS controlled plans.

Sad, but true.

But the big question is why is UPS so anxious to get out of health care and pensions?
And why should the Teamsters be reluctant to control it?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Dave ,
I believe you listed before what are the high points deductibles,prescriptions,vision ,dental etc. If you would please ?

Thanks,
Stewie

$1K annual deductible. $10 co-pay doctor's office visit/$100 co-pay ER. Very low Rx co-pays ($5 and up). Two dental checkups/cleanings per year w/payment in full (participating provider) for major dental work. Eye exam and one pair of glasses per year paid for (selection limited--can apply payment to frames of your choice).

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Sad, but true.

But the big question is why is UPS so anxious to get out of health care and pensions?
And why should the Teamsters be reluctant to control it?

UPS wants out of the healthcare business but does not want out of the pension business. Properly managed pension funds make money.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
At least the company has moved off of its original offer and come to the table with something that merits further discussion.

Negotiating is better than not negotiating.

kingOFchester

UPS has updated their website with a March 28th negotiations update for teamsters. Mentioned that media is becoming more interested in the negotiations.

Not sure if we are allowed to quote their site but if you log into UPSERS go to OUR COMPANY tab at the bottom click on negotiations update link,

kingOFchester

UPS stock at a 52 week high. Flirting with all time high as well. The only time it was as high as it is now was December 2004.

Just saying.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
UPS has updated their website with a March 28th negotiations update for teamsters. Mentioned that media is becoming more interested in the negotiations.

Not sure if we are allowed to quote their site but if you log into UPSERS go to OUR COMPANY tab at the bottom click on negotiations update link,

"complications due to affordable health care act" ???? HMMMMMM

Good job KOF the link is pretty well buried on the website hard to find even with directions.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Now that UPS has accepted the TEAMSTERS offer to take over the health care plans, we are screwed. The March 31st deadline has been avoided and the Teamsters now have to look into providing the SAME coverage as we have now or the MEMBERS will REJECT the TEAMSTER proposals.

As a member, if the TEAMSTERS do not provide us with a PLAN that matches EXACTLY my current coverage, then I plan on VOTING NO on any proposal the Teamsters send out for ratification.

This is a critical part of our contract.

Inferior coverage will never suffice just to save to the Teamsters a buck.

Peace

TOS

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Now that UPS has accepted the TEAMSTERS offer to take over the health care plans, we are screwed. The March 31st deadline has been avoided and the Teamsters now have to look into providing the SAME coverage as we have now or the MEMBERS will REJECT the TEAMSTER proposals.

As a member, if the TEAMSTERS do not provide us with a PLAN that matches EXACTLY my current coverage, then I plan on VOTING NO on any proposal the Teamsters send out for ratification.

This is a critical part of our contract.

Inferior coverage will never suffice just to save to the Teamsters a buck.

Peace

TOS

I have Teamster coverage. The exact plan would be great. I wonder what the percentage is nationwide Teamster Plans vs. Company Plans?

rudy5150

With union taking over healthcare we have to demand much better raises than past contracts....Whos to say the union isnt goin to go ok guys heres your healthcare plan and we have $30 co-pays.......it might not happen now but it could happen yr 2 or 3 into the contract especially with future costs of obamacare. The union can change the plan yearly. Im from upstate under teamster plan. Its very good insurance but we used to have 0 copay and $50 emergency room visits...now we have $10 co pays $100 ER visits. They changed that a few yrs ago even before obamacare was implemented, they said they had to do it cuz UPS pays union a set amount for every hour an employee works. UPS cut hours back and demanded more out of each employee. Less hours = less $ towards healthcare...Every teamster needs x amount of hrs a quarter to qualify for bennys in upstate.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
Doing business with Central

States means that you will have a

guaranteed multi-year rate quote.

Unlike traditional insurance carriers who will

“low-ball” the initial rate quote to earn your

business, only to raise the rates in subsequent

years, Central States will provide you 3 years of
guaranteed rates.

This was pasted from Central States Teamster Health and Welfare Website.......sounds like we need a three year contract