Coronavirus

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
There is no scientific evidence of immunity after infection. A lot of people thought it would die down in the summer months. It's not. There is just too much unknown about this virus to treat it like the common cold or flu.
Everyone I know from work that had it didn't think it was that bad.

Time to move on anyway.

vantexan

So it’s like the flu? You said it’s the worst thing ever and slammed Democratic Governors for being prudent and cautious. Then spent weeks mocking me for saying it was like the flu. Now you’ve come back around to it’s like the flu, but I hate to break it to you the flu doesn’t kill 1k people a day.
I'm saying it's a little more serious than the flu but it isn't nowhere as serious as the Spanish flu(after stats came out that showed that) Early on you were mocking me saying all that's needed is hand washing. I've never said it's the worst thing ever but have told conservative leaning posters here who thought it was the latest Democrat plot to get Trump that it's prudent to be cautious and later said early on it was prudent to be cautious. As for mocking Democrat governors some definitely needed to be mocked. Cuomo ordered nursing homes to take Covid-19 patients which resulted in almost 5000 deaths. Gretchen Whittmer was ordering people to observe crazy rules like if you own two houses you can't visit your second home. Meanwhile her husband didn't follow the rules. And you were having it both ways, attacking Trump while saying it's just a matter of hand washing.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
Trying to achieve herd immunity with Covid-19 and no vaccine is stupidity at its finest. SMH....
That makes a little sense.
Do you realize that vaccinations just speeds up herd immunity?
Herd immunity is the basis for vaccinations.

What Is Herd Immunity

Herd immunity happens when so many people in a community become immune to an infectious disease that it stops the disease from spreading.

This can happen in two ways:

1. Many people contract the disease and in time build up an immune response to it (natural immunity).
  2. Many people are vaccinated against the disease to achieve immunity.
Herd immunity can work against the spread of some diseases. There are several reasons why it often works.

more ...

Last edited:

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

What Is Herd Immunity

Herd immunity happens when so many people in a community become immune to an infectious disease that it stops the disease from spreading.

1. Many people contract the disease and in time build up an immune response to it (natural immunity).

From the end of the article:

"Herd immunity isn’t the answer to stopping the spread of SARS-CoV-2... Once a vaccine is developed for this virus, establishing herd immunity is one way to help protect people in the community who are vulnerable or have low functioning immune systems."

Translation: Herd immunity from natural immunity = bad
Herd immunity from vaccination = good

Why this is wrong:

Herd immunity = herd immunity, by their logic bad = good.

They may fail to develop an effective vaccine, or if people can become reinfected a vaccine won't help and herd immunity will be impossible. If that is the case we will never be able to stop the virus without stopping all human contact for well over a month or two. Since it will be impissible to do that, and if herd immunity/vaccines don't pan out, there is literally nothing we can do to stop the virus, and we are back to doing our best to protect the weak and let the strong continue to provide.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
From the end of the article:

"Herd immunity isn’t the answer to stopping the spread of SARS-CoV-2... Once a vaccine is developed for this virus, establishing herd immunity is one way to help protect people in the community who are vulnerable or have low functioning immune systems."

Translation: Herd immunity from natural immunity = bad
Herd immunity from vaccination = good

Why this is wrong:

Herd immunity = herd immunity, by their logic bad = good.

They may fail to develop an effective vaccine, or if people can become reinfected a vaccine won't help and herd immunity will be impossible. If that is the case we will never be able to stop the virus without stopping all human contact for well over a month or two. Since it will be impissible to do that, and if herd immunity/vaccines don't pan out, there is literally nothing we can do to stop the virus, and we are back to doing our best to protect the weak and let the strong continue to provide.
The author(s) of this article are people in the healthcare industry.
By the nature of their work and beliefs, herd immunity is best when it is achieved with minimal sickness and deaths.
Herd immunity = herd immunity by logic.

I will get a vaccine as soon as it has been thoroughly tested and is available for general population.
I enjoy solitude so this ain't a bad gig for me.

newfie

So it’s like the flu? You said it’s the worst thing ever and slammed Democratic Governors for being prudent and cautious. Then spent weeks mocking me for saying it was like the flu. Now you’ve come back around to it’s like the flu, but I hate to break it to you the flu doesn’t kill 1k people a day.
wish you had told her three months ago before she dragged everyone down to chinatown

1592175522468.png

MAKAVELI

What Is Herd Immunity

Herd immunity can work against the spread of some diseases. There are several reasons why it often works.

more ...
Which is exactly why I said trying to achieve herd immunity without a vaccine is stupidity at its finest. If one actually becomes immune after recovery it would take 60-70 percent of the population to be infected to achieve herd immunity without a vaccine. Ttku....

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
Which is exactly why I said trying to achieve herd immunity without a vaccine is stupidity at its finest. If one actually becomes immune after recovery it would take 60-70 percent of the population to be infected to achieve herd immunity without a vaccine. Ttku....
Lighten up Francis!
The best I ever give anything you post is a 'little sense'.
I was backing you up because I knew most people don't believe anything you post!

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

The author(s) of this article are people in the healthcare industry.
By the nature of their work and beliefs, herd immunity is best when it is achieved with minimal sickness and deaths.
Herd immunity = herd immunity by logic.

I will get a vaccine as soon as it has been thoroughly tested and is available for general population.
I enjoy solitude so this ain't a bad gig for me.

But again, if a vaccine is never successfully developed, are we doing the right thing by slowing the process of obtaining herd immunity naturally? If reinfection is possible, then anything we do would only delay the inevitable.

I know I can play armchair quarterback all I want, but even if we didn't know enough about the virus a few months ago, I'd say the data is there now to support implementing the policies of assisting/protecting the highest risk populations, and let everyone else decide how much risk they are willing to take. I felt that was the right decision to make from the get go, since those are generally the best policy decisions in these situations, when considering as many factors as possible. But some people are skittish and need more assurances.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
But again, if a vaccine is never successfully developed, are we doing the right thing by slowing the process of obtaining herd immunity naturally? If reinfection is possible, then anything we do would only delay the inevitable.

I know I can play armchair quarterback all I want, but even if we didn't know enough about the virus a few months ago, I'd say the data is there now to support implementing the policies of assisting/protecting the highest risk populations, and let everyone else decide how much risk they are willing to take. I felt that was the right decision to make from the get go, since those are generally the best policy decisions in these situations, when considering as many factors as possible. But some people are skittish and need more assurances.
Your scenario has no good solution.
Bottomline, if you are less than 60 with no underlying conditions ... go about your business.
If not, then take precautions as you see fit.
No one lives forever.