Coronavirus

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
No, that's a link to the data.

I want to know who you copy pasted your post from. This one here:
According to Johns Hopkins University, nearly 40 Americans have died of COVID-19 per 100,000 people, second worst in the world behind only the United Kingdom. And of all confirmed COVID-19 cases, the United States’ case fatality ratio is 4.4%, ranking seventh worst out of the 20 countries most affected by the virus, the university’s analysis found.
Source?

vantexan

What does any of this have to do with your claim that we had a bull market because people stopped buying real estate?
It wasn't because people stopped buying real estate, it was because there wasn't anywhere with the potential for returns comparable to the stock market. In the 90's what was the catalyst for that bull market? The .com explosion or bubble if you will. So what was the catalyst for the bull market after 2008? The underlying cause? Bull markets don't exist in a vacuum, there has to be an underlying cause. By that point most companies had shed traditional pensions and had moved into 401k's. That's a powerful force pumping money into the stock market. Funds like Vanguard don't just sit on those contributbions, they have to make them work so that they can make money and show growth in retirement funds. Couple that with the real estate crash and the stock market was the safest way to get a substantial return on investment. Beyond that I don't know what else I could possibly say on it. If you don't buy it then ask an investment advisor.

vantexan

According to Johns Hopkins University, nearly 40 Americans have died of COVID-19 per 100,000 people, second worst in the world behind only the United Kingdom. And of all confirmed COVID-19 cases, the United States’ case fatality ratio is 4.4%, ranking seventh worst out of the 20 countries most affected by the virus, the university’s analysis found.
And for the millionth time China has had way more deaths than anyone and has covered it up. And we are where we are because of them.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
It wasn't because people stopped buying real estate, it was because there wasn't anywhere with the potential for returns comparable to the stock market. In the 90's what was the catalyst for that bull market? The .com explosion or bubble if you will. So what was the catalyst for the bull market after 2008? The underlying cause? Bull markets don't exist in a vacuum, there has to be an underlying cause. By that point most companies had shed traditional pensions and had moved into 401k's. That's a powerful force pumping money into the stock market. Funds like Vanguard don't just sit on those contributbions, they have to make them work so that they can make money and show growth in retirement funds. Couple that with the real estate crash and the stock market was the safest way to get a substantial return on investment. Beyond that I don't know what else I could possibly say on it. If you don't buy it then ask an investment advisor.
You stated the reason in one of your earlier posts which I pointed out:
"Companies were profiting as the recovery improved"
It really is that simple.
You've been unable or unwilling to provide any support for this idea that the bull market was based on people buying stocks instead of real estate, so I'm just gonna write it off.

vantexan

You stated the reason in one of your earlier posts which I pointed out:
"Companies were profiting as the recovery improved"
It really is that simple.
You've been unable or unwilling to provide any support for this idea that the bull market was based on people buying stocks instead of real estate, so I'm just gonna write it off.
Someone has to buy the stock in order for the bull market to continue. Demand drives prices. Companies were holding down wages and spending their profits in dividends to drive demand. Why? So that corporate exec's could cash in their stock options as prices rose. Bull markets don't exist in a vacuum, there are always underlying reasons.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Someone has to buy the stock in order for the bull market to continue. Demand drives prices. Companies were holding down wages and spending their profits in dividends to drive demand. Why? So that corporate exec's could cash in their stock options as prices rose. Bull markets don't exist in a vacuum, there are always underlying reasons.
I'm not you sure understand what actually drives stock valuations. They're not based on demand or how many people have bought a particular stock, they're based on how well the company is doing and how well it is projected to do in the future. Stocks went up because companies were doing well and making profits.
This might help:

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I'm not you sure understand what actually drives stock valuations. They're not based on demand or how many people have bought a particular stock, they're based on how well the company is doing and how well it is projected to do in the future. Stocks went up because companies were doing well and making profits.
This might help:

but but but, the stock market isn't the economy....

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
133,849 dead Americans, 3.093+million infected.The virus has clearly shifted South. The state of Arizona is today’s daily leader with 117 dead, followed by Texas, and Florida. America has also, though expected, seen a rise in deaths for 3 straight days with today 871 dead today. The death rate follows an increase in infected and hospitalizations. Its safe to say America will be seeing 1,000+ dead again daily. The Confederate states all reopened too soon and are now paying the price with human lives, and a struggling economy. Many Confederate states are going well over 1,000 newly infected daily. Of course Texas had 8,000 newly infected today, leading the way. Florida added another 7,000+. The Show Me state has seen a huge spike in numbers, over 1,000 infected, with 16 dead. We of course know the deaths come in a week or two!

vantexan

This might help:

And when stocks are traded demand drives prices. High demand, prices increase as available shares become scarce. Why is there demand? For the reasons you cited. Why do companies do better than before? Companies give stock options as incentives to exec's to produce. If they perform well and the company is more profitable the stock's value will increase allowing the exec's to exercise their options at a lower price and sell the shares at the current higher price. When dividends are paid quarterly big funds like Vanguard come in to buy a large amount of said stock and collect the dividend. Since there's a lot of stock out there paying dividends and the funds have X amount to buy with the best performing companies with the best dividends do the best. So when FedEx employees rage about wages being held down and retirement disappearing, etc it's because the stock is where the real wealth is at and executives are in it to get wealthy, not support employee lifestyles. As harsh as it may seem it also has the effect of keeping companies healthy and viable.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
And when stocks are traded demand drives prices. High demand, prices increase as available shares become scarce. Why is there demand? For the reasons you cited. Why do companies do better than before? Companies give stock options as incentives to exec's to produce. If they perform well and the company is more profitable the stock's value will increase allowing the exec's to exercise their options at a lower price and sell the shares at the current higher price. When dividends are paid quarterly big funds like Vanguard come in to buy a large amount of said stock and collect the dividend. Since there's a lot of stock out there paying dividends and the funds have X amount to buy with the best performing companies with the best dividends do the best. So when FedEx employees rage about wages being held down and retirement disappearing, etc it's because the stock is where the real wealth is at and executives are in it to get wealthy, not support employee lifestyles. As harsh as it may seem it also has the effect of keeping companies healthy and viable.
I have no idea what you're going on about. The above all sounds like stuff you came up with on your own, much like your idea that the bull market happened because people were no longer investing in real estate.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Great article! Thanks for sharing. The article is for Mon. I referred to yesterday. They’ve seen a spike and you supplied the facts! Show Me state had over 1,000 Tue. 773 on Mon infected.
It literally says there’s more of a backlog working its way through.

The doctor was quoted a number of times as saying that they’re very confident it’s simply a data build up. Not a large scale increase.

you lie a lot or your reading comprehension is very very poor.