Coronavirus

rickyb

From what I recall, their citizens are not allowed freedom to leave a return to their country. Which is a violation of UN human rights. Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe the people there are not free to peacefully assemble and protest, even their Facebook posts are being monitored. You can be arrested for what you post on Facebook. But that’s not what I’m trying to talk about.
We’ve missed the boat to be able to copy their strategy. For us, to try to eradicate Covid will be costly.
You keep bringing up how well Australia and New Zealand are doing. So what does that mean for us?
which countires economies were affected the least?

because i know at least australia and new zealand have basically no cases for some time.

rickyb

Okay let's look and see who runs this organization that is calling to give the government unlimited control over their population's freedoms....

Bar-Yam has advised many policymaking and regulatory bodies on various topics, including: the Pentagon's Chairman Action Group on global social unrest and the crises in Egypt and Syria; the National Security Council and the National Counter Terrorism Council on global strategy; the Chief of Naval Operations Strategic Studies Group on military force transformation

View attachment 328849

Gee sounds like a really swell guy, I'm sure all he's interested in is ending coronavirus. Wise up kiddo.
steve keen thinks hes legit. but i agree.

tadpole

which countires economies were affected the least?

because i know at least australia and new zealand have basically no cases for some time.
You are right. They did better than us and their economies have been hurt the least. Are you advocating for anything in particular? If not, what’s the point of keep bringing this up?

rickyb

You are right. They did better than us and their economies have been hurt the least. Are you advocating for anything in particular? If not, what’s the point of keep bringing this up?
yea if thats true then we should ask for directions. north america has not done well.

tadpole

yea if thats true then we should ask for directions. north america has not done well.
Their strategy doesn’t work once it has spread to the extent that it’s spread elsewhere. And we are not an island either.
Their strategy was catch it early, close borders and aggressively track and trace. You can’t track and trace when there are this many cases. Not to mention north Americans are less likely to accept invasive government surveillance.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
You are right. They did better than us and their economies have been hurt the least.

No one knows that they've done better, or that their economies have been impacted least. Most of our economic impact has likely been self-inflicted based on terrible decisions, and would have been much, much worse if we had tried to follow Australia's model. Imagine comparing a system that rewards reported cases with money with a system that has pretty much imprisoned its population and destroyed many of their livelihoods in order to "contain" the virus. I, for one, can't see any reason why the results might be skewed. Lol.

Or perhaps, as many other Asian countries have good looking numbers, they may have had this virus circulating much earlier and we're seeing results in those countries now that we will be seeing in the rest of the world in the coming year. The fact that anyone is trying to draw conclusions from any of these statistics is completely absurd. There is zero control for any of the myriad variables that might be involved.

tadpole

No one knows that they've done better, or that their economies have been impacted least. Most of our economic impact has likely been self-inflicted based on terrible decisions, and would have been much, much worse if we had tried to follow Australia's model. Imagine comparing a system that rewards reported cases with money with a system that has pretty much imprisoned its population and destroyed many of their livelihoods in order to "contain" the virus. I, for one, can't see any reason why the results might be skewed. Lol.

Or perhaps, as many other Asian countries have good looking numbers, they may have had this virus circulating much earlier and we're seeing results in those countries now that we will be seeing in the rest of the world in the coming year. The fact that anyone is trying to draw conclusions from any of these statistics is completely absurd. There is zero control for any of the myriad variables that might be involved.
They have managed to keep their population almost completely free from Covid. Thus, they are not currently locked down (except their borders) and their economy isn’t handcuffed. Whatever they did, it worked for them or they just got lucky. They’re not out of the woods yet, though. And I in no way advocate taking up a strategy such as theirs, even if I thought it was possible for that strategy to work here.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
They have managed to keep their population almost completely free from Covid.

Again, that is an assumption. The best you can say is that their testing data have shown no or little virus within the population during such and such a time. Says nothing about the community spread before testing started.

tadpole

Again, that is an assumption. The best you can say is that their testing data have shown no or little virus within the population during such and such a time. Says nothing about the community spread before testing started.
True. I don’t know anything for certain. But it seems the likeliest to me that they are ahead of Covid right now.
Anyway, the point I was trying to make is that it is too late and too costly to try for zero Covid in North America.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

It's all about incentives. When you have an incentive to report positive cases in one system, and you have a disincentive in another, there are bound to be inconsistencies. That's just one of many, many variables that make it unreasonable to assume that Australia's actions had any effect at all.

rickyb

It's all about incentives. When you have an incentive to report positive cases in one system, and you have a disincentive in another, there are bound to be inconsistencies. That's just one of many, many variables that make it unreasonable to assume that Australia's actions had any effect at all.
if thats true then why even compare countries on end corona virus website?

ur argument doesnt make sense.

i was on youtube and i saw headlines for videos saying i believe in victoria Australia they were just finishing a 5 day lock down or were on a lock down. this is happening while the country has almost no cases. so what they are probably doing is aggressively and proactively fighting any cases that appear.

where i live cases are still high but not all time high, and for example skiing is open...i know parks are open too. ppl cant self regulate. my mom cant self regulate. my bro cant self regulate.