Customs Critical Contractor

FedGT

Is anyone on this board a customs critical contractor?

I have some good drivers back when I was a Ground contractor that call me constantly asking if I am doing anything that they could come over to. I don’t think I want to get all the way into Linehaul unless some spot accounts opened up but from what I have found Customs Critical sounds like it may be an okay compromise between the two.
Just was curious if anyone had any insight?

bacha29

Is anyone on this board a customs critical contractor?

I have some good drivers back when I was a Ground contractor that call me constantly asking if I am doing anything that they could come over to. I don’t think I want to get all the way into Linehaul unless some spot accounts opened up but from what I have found Customs Critical sounds like it may be an okay compromise between the two.
Just was curious if anyone had any insight?
The major gripe I heard from Custom Critical was that after delivering a piece of hot freight they would send you to another area say maybe an hour's drive away and position you there and make you sit there for several days or more and wait for another load to become available in the general vicinity. No telling how long you were going to have to sit there in somebody's parking lot ( lot of fun in this weather) and hope for another load. If you decided to go home you dropped to the bottom of the ready list and somebody else moved ahead of you. Who in the hell would want that sorry excuse for a life?

vantexan

The major gripe I heard from Custom Critical was that after delivering a piece of hot freight they would send you to another area say maybe an hour's drive away and position you there and make you sit there for several days or more and wait for another load to become available in the general vicinity. No telling how long you were going to have to sit there in somebody's parking lot ( lot of fun in this weather) and hope for another load. If you decided to go home you dropped to the bottom of the ready list and somebody else moved ahead of you. Who in the hell would want that sorry excuse for a life?
I'm driving to California, and will gross $700. My rt will take me through Colorado and Utah on I-70, a gorgeous drive. I've only had to wait two days once, get most loads either same day or next. Don't think I'd want to do this for FedEx because of their controlling nature. But it's the best job I've ever had.

FedGT

Pittsburgh, PA.
Are you an owner operator or are you a contracted driver on something like a 60/40? I hear living out east is the best for that type of work I live in the mountain west (at the moment, hoping to change that to the south east soon) so not sure how that would impact the work.

bacha29

I'm driving to California, and will gross $700. My rt will take me through Colorado and Utah on I-70, a gorgeous drive. I've only had to wait two days once, get most loads either same day or next. Don't think I'd want to do this for FedEx because of their controlling nature. But it's the best job I've ever had.
Do you live and sleep in the truck and do you bring an on board job johnny (garbage bag) along with you? If it's not hard work and it might allow you to get some higher than normal earnings years into Social Security that will be the payback because your benefit is based on your 35 highest earning years.

Nolimitz

Do you live and sleep in the truck and do you bring an on board job johnny (garbage bag) along with you? If it's not hard work and it might allow you to get some higher than normal earnings years into Social Security that will be the payback because your benefit is based on your 35 highest earning years.
You think he is paying into SS. I doubt it! Sounds like a U-SHIP operation.

bacha29

You think he is paying into SS. I doubt it! Sounds like a U-SHIP operation.
Wouldn't be surprised. At the end of the year they'll flip him a 1099 and say: "Here you go Bud. Sorry about the fact that not only do you have a mountain of federal and state income tax to pay but you have to pay both the employer and the employees share of Social Security because we proclaimed you to be self employed even though we boss you around like an ordinary employee". .....You right. this might be a deal like that.

bbsam

Staff member
I’m considering it for when I retire. My wife and I used to pick a direction and start driving. When we got tired, we’d stop at a hotel. Next morning we’d go to the lobby and go through the “local sights to see” pamphlets. Seriously, it was some of the most fun vacation time I’ve ever had.

It will be fine

I’m considering it for when I retire. My wife and I used to pick a direction and start driving. When we got tired, we’d stop at a hotel. Next morning we’d go to the lobby and go through the “local sights to see” pamphlets. Seriously, it was some of the most fun vacation time I’ve ever had.
Back to one truck to worry about and no drivers sounds delightful. Get a nice pimped out straight truck with a sleeper cab and you’re in business.

vantexan

Pretty much sleep in the truck unless the back is completely full. They get me some extra money for motels in that case if it's a multiple night trip.

Last edited:

vantexan

Wouldn't be surprised. At the end of the year they'll flip him a 1099 and say: "Here you go Bud. Sorry about the fact that not only do you have a mountain of federal and state income tax to pay but you have to pay both the employer and the employees share of Social Security because we proclaimed you to be self employed even though we boss you around like an ordinary employee". .....You right. this might be a deal like that.
It is a deal like that and taxes are paid quarterly. And they're great to work for and 95% of communication is by text.

Last edited:

vantexan

Are you an owner operator or are you a contracted driver on something like a 60/40? I hear living out east is the best for that type of work I live in the mountain west (at the moment, hoping to change that to the south east soon) so not sure how that would impact the work.
I'm a 1099 contractor. They pay me 35% of a load's value. Currently on my best paid trip. Company is getting $2000 out of which I get $700. They got me home for Memorial Day and July 4th. But you've got to be willing to live out of the truck and be gone 4-5 weeks at a time. They deliver to the lower 48 and Canada.

fedx

Extra Large Package
I'm a 1099 contractor. They pay me 35% of a load's value. Currently on my best paid trip. Company is getting $2000 out of which I get $700. They got me home for Memorial Day and July 4th. But you've got to be willing to live out of the truck and be gone 4-5 weeks at a time. They deliver to the lower 48 and Canada.

You need to be looking around for different places to work. There are trucking companies that if you provide the truck, they provide the trailer and will pay you anywhere from 75-80% of the what the total trip charge is. You're saying you're being paid the load's value? So if you're hauling a million dollar item, you'll get 35% of that? Or do you mean 35% of the trip charge? I find it hard to believe you're hauling something that's only worth $2K.

I'm going to assume you mean the trip charge and not load value. So like I said, you can find a ton of places that will provide the trailer and pay you 75% of the trip payout. And if you have your own trailer you'll get like 85% of the trip charge. And you won't have to live out of your truck and be like you're living in a navy submarine where you're gone a month or more at a time before you come home. Check with Landstar for starters. There are also tons of small trucking companies that will pay you better than what you're getting now.

It will be fine

You need to be looking around for different places to work. There are trucking companies that if you provide the truck, they provide the trailer and will pay you anywhere from 75-80% of the what the total trip charge is. You're saying you're being paid the load's value? So if you're hauling a million dollar item, you'll get 35% of that? Or do you mean 35% of the trip charge? I find it hard to believe you're hauling something that's only worth $2K.

I'm going to assume you mean the trip charge and not load value. So like I said, you can find a ton of places that will provide the trailer and pay you 75% of the trip payout. And if you have your own trailer you'll get like 85% of the trip charge. And you won't have to live out of your truck and be like you're living in a navy submarine where you're gone a month or more at a time before you come home. Check with Landstar for starters. There are also tons of small trucking companies that will pay you better than what you're getting now.
I think he’s in a sprinter.

bacha29

It is a deal like that and taxes are paid quarterly. And they're great to work for and 95% of communication is by text.
Dollar wise, you're going to be shocked at the size of the hairball you're going to have to hoark up every quarter including that 15.30% for Social Security because after all you an "independent contractor".
So you've got $700 . Take 15.30% for social security and let's say the minimum withholding of 12% and your down to $509. Throw in a bit of state income tax and your down to less than $500. Not too good Bud but the pay back will no doubt be to remove lower earning years from your SS earnings report and replace with higher earning years . If this job will accomplish that feat then keep going for a long as you can.