Dear Scott Davis

Should Christmas be sacred.

• Yes. keep this day a special time for employees to relax and celebrate with their families.

Votes: 80 78.4%
  • I disagree its important we maintain our competitive edge.

Votes: 22 21.6%

• Total voters

705red

Browncafe Steward
:happy-very::happy2:As hard as everyone (except feeder) has worked leading up to chrtistmas to represent the shield and make service on the packages, we deserve the whole day off, but let feeder punch in (notice i didnt use the word work).:peaceful:

Dutch Dawg

If it is imperative that some of the labor force work on Christmas day. Perhaps the upper level of management in Atlanta could use this as an opportunity to lead by example through mandating staffing at Hq on Christams day for themselves.

pretender

While I am no religious advocate (I believe in it, just practicing if you know what I mean?) I agree. This country is now catering to the many people who have filtered into it and the outspoken minority of overly liberal people. When I say minority I do not mean black, hispanic or anything like that. I mean the minority of the citizenry that is the squeaky wheel. They instead of the people who have been living in it for hundreds of years. Do I care if you celebrate whatever holiday you hold dear? Absolutely not. Do I care if you come to my country or were born in this country (either way) and tell me I can't celebrate mine? You bet your ass I do. It goes both ways children, don't try to make this country be politically correct. That phrase, "PC", is destroying long accepted practices and beliefs because SOMEONE is offended. WHO CARES? If you don't like my christmas tree in my front window, look across the street because its not coming down (this was an actual argument, I kid you not). Where does it end? I mean at least in my town when the vote to take away the manger scene from downtown came up it was absolutely defeated. I couldn't believe the vote even came up? I mean *** the town has been doing it long before I was born and NOW we decided oh maybe we shouldn't have one because one or two people are offended? Just plain stupid and a waste of time for drafting the possible motion and then holding a special election for it. I don't care if we put a menorah near it or a mosque down the street. This country is a melting pot (or was founded on such grounds). That doesn't mean we weed things out. It means things meld together and we have been casting out too many widely accepted traditions and such and even the age of 26, it makes me sick. Also since this is the land of the free, as covemaster said, no one is keeping you here and no one is forcing you to agree with me.

There is hope for our younger generation after all!!

SteveOUPS

Me and my helper.
Wow, I am surprised to see this from tieguy, I thought he would go the other way on this. Impressive ...:happy-very::happy-very::happy-very:

Dear Scott,

While I'm sure the practice has been in place prior to your taking over as CEO of this company the time has come to end a negative trend that violates the rights of your employees to enjoy christmas. While we have days that are labeled "holidays" we continue to violate those days in effort to remain competitive and to provide a service that is superior to our competitors. I am asking you to make a decision to keep Christmas sacred. Once again our plans call to pick up air on christmas eve. We will then run air operations and feeders on christmas day in order to make a committment to our customers that violates our employees rights to spend christmas with their families. I am asking you to become the Ebeneezer Scrooge that discovers the joy of christmas. Say no to air pickups on christmas eve. Pass a mandate that the entire orginization must shut down on christmas day. Insist that our people spend christmas day with their families. Make this committment unconditional. Our employees have worked hard for you all year meeting and exceeding superior committments to the customers. Keep Christmas sacred. Please make this decision in favor of our employees over our customers for this one special day each year.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
If it is imperative that some of the labor force work on Christmas day. Perhaps the upper level of management in Atlanta could use this as an opportunity to lead by example through mandating staffing at Hq on Christams day for themselves.
I think this is an excellent idea. :bow:

Wow, I am surprised to see this from tieguy, I thought he would go the other way on this. Impressive ...:happy-very::happy-very::happy-very:
Surprised? Really? I'm not one bit surprised. I have locked horns with TieGuy on several threads here and expect to again somewhere in the future. Tie is a conservative type of person in politics, social situations and tradition. Tie has a big heart but really doesn't like for people to know it. Sorry Tie I guess I let the (werrrooow) cat outta the bag there.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
the arguement this country was based on christian/anglican beliefs and values doesnt hold up when we're an intl company.
we are an american company first drew!!!!! You can brown up on christmas for the good of the company ok answer man !!!!!

UPS Lifer

I fondly remember the good ole days! There was the Xmas displays in the downtown department stores and only window shoppers out walking the streets admiring the displays on Sundays. There was nothing open in downtown LA. The suburbs were really the bedroom communities where you lived.

But then things started to change dramatically in the 70s. Business was paying for their property 24 hours a day .... Why not stay open and make more money! Let that overhead work for you.

Bottom Line ...like everything else. GREED surfaced it's ugly head once again!

UPS has always adapted to the needs of American business. If things change in the future UPS will be there to change as well. It is not a General Motors type of business. It grows and contracts as the economy does. It has found new ways to continue to grow in tough times.

Things really changed when the air business took off. I can remember delivering air on Xmas day many times. But I made lemonade out of lemons. I would take my kids with me and make it a fun day for them. I do admit it was different back in the 80s and 90s. Managers really ran their centers and we weren't worried about getting lawsuits or what the shareholders wanted.... We were the shareholders! The bottom line did suffer but it was about service service service! By the late 90s and into Y2K, major hubs were open 7 days a week. Sunday sorts became major operations and a last chance to get the packages to the preloads on Monday!
Talk about working holidays!

Scott - get a clue - dude! Shut the company down for Xmas - nobody working! Make it a big deal - play it up in the media - Show America that some CEOs care about their people.

I am only hoping that some good comes out of this recession and there is a renewed effort to take care of America's greatest resource..... Our people!

sdf6hr2

don't forget/overlook that we (and every retailer in the nation) are open for business on dec. 26. your dec. 24 p/u & dec. 25 air is in the system for what is often a top 2 or 3 shopping day on the 26th. which i think is only a holiday in canada (boxing day)... correct me if wrong...

tiegirl

tiegirl
Very well spoken. If only he would listen.

Dear Scott,

While I'm sure the practice has been in place prior to your taking over as CEO of this company the time has come to end a negative trend that violates the rights of your employees to enjoy christmas. While we have days that are labeled "holidays" we continue to violate those days in effort to remain competitive and to provide a service that is superior to our competitors. I am asking you to make a decision to keep Christmas sacred. Once again our plans call to pick up air on christmas eve. We will then run air operations and feeders on christmas day in order to make a committment to our customers that violates our employees rights to spend christmas with their families. I am asking you to become the Ebeneezer Scrooge that discovers the joy of christmas. Say no to air pickups on christmas eve. Pass a mandate that the entire orginization must shut down on christmas day. Insist that our people spend christmas day with their families. Make this committment unconditional. Our employees have worked hard for you all year meeting and exceeding superior committments to the customers. Keep Christmas sacred. Please make this decision in favor of our employees over our customers for this one special day each year.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Scott - get a clue - dude! Shut the company down for Xmas - nobody working! Make it a big deal - play it up in the media - Show America that some CEOs care about their people.

lifer

he has gotten the clue. he will close ups down for green day. that will show america.........

d

drewed

Shankman
don't forget/overlook that we (and every retailer in the nation) are open for business on dec. 26. your dec. 24 p/u & dec. 25 air is in the system for what is often a top 2 or 3 shopping day on the 26th. which i think is only a holiday in canada (boxing day)... correct me if wrong...
isnt boxing day new years day?

drewed

Shankman
we are an american company first drew!!!!! You can brown up on christmas for the good of the company ok answer man !!!!!

How is that enabling global commerce? I see the point of this thread and personally Id rather have the day off for the tradition but I know Ill be working Christmas and Christmas eve because its part of the job and no matter what the tradition is we still have customers that paid us for a service, that as tradition we are obligated to deliver.

We do shut down to an extent, no preloads, delivery ops, most sorts....the only thing running are the airline and intl ops (maybe feeders?) which is the exact same that happens for the lunar holidays and Golden week in Asia.

JustTired

free at last.......
How is that enabling global commerce?

Maybe it isn't. But who cares. It's this very "global commerce" that is destroying this country...whether you want to believe it or not.

Mark my word.....there will come a day (if things continue on this course) that if you want to sell anything......you will have to go off-shore to do it. Greed is destroying this country and has irrepairably damaged this once great economy. Our standing in the world becomes weaker by the month and those blinded by the greed fail to see it. it will take those that are blinded to work Christmas day before they might "see the light".

But that's not gonna happen. .........sad!

Buffy

Great poll tie! Chik-fil-a is closed every Sunday and it sure doesn't seem to hurt their competitive edge. The founder had a principle. Certainly not everyone who owns or works at a Chik-fil-a now shares his belief, but they all do share a planned day off each week.

There will always be people willing to work on Holidays. Some may even welcome the opportunity to have something to do that day. But we know that the management teams for those operations will not have a choice in the matter. They will have to be there. Let's go back to no pickups on Christmas Eve.