Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
Any other center doing this? Starting this week instead of using off the street/hub workers we are using drivers as helpers. For me it's the best thing ever. He not only knows the DIAD unlike most helpers, buy also knows my route. So we can destroy a bricked out truck like it's a 9.5 dispatch. I seriously wish they would do this for all of peak but I know they won't. I wonder what their plan is with this? Two top rate drivers teaming up costs much more than a hub employee as a helper, so why go this route? I'm not complaining of course lol.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
Any other center doing this? Starting this week instead of using off the street/hub workers we are using drivers as helpers. For me it's the best thing ever. He not only knows the DIAD unlike most helpers, buy also knows my route. So we can destroy a bricked out truck like it's a 9.5 dispatch. I seriously wish they would do this for all of peak but I know they won't. I wonder what their plan is with this? Two top rate drivers teaming up costs much more than a hub employee as a helper, so why go this route? I'm not complaining of course lol.

My building stops using RTD drivers the beginning of November and makes them work as driver helpers at RTD pay until the part-time helpers can start. I'm sure the logic is having 2 guys who can knock out a bunch of stops in the 5-7 hours they work together and help the big bosses reach some goal for running more stops per car.

StoptheAct1212

They have done this over the past... only here and there. i think they do this so they can train seasonals or newbies, and some drivers dont mind working a few easy earlier days. of just helping... im a senior driver and done that in the past, 3 to 4 hours with 1 guy, then jump to another guy.... best days ever, and yes we bust things out

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
that's cool but strange. Speaking of strange, this will be our second pre-peak of drivers training seasonal drivers on road.

See I would understand if they sent out drivers with a seasonal or a new driver. Last peak they did things like take a regular route and split it in two. One route would be all businesses and pickups ran by a seasonal driver. The other would be the residential of that same route ran by the regular driver with a helper. For that I would understand them sending me out with a seasonal so he could learn my business so they could do the same with my route. But no, they sent me out with a guy who already knows my route and has been there almost as long as I have. It's great for us as we can finish fast but I don't understand what the strategy is in terms of peak. I know they won't run this all peak.

YeeYee

They just started doing this in my center. What should be the pay rate for a cover driver/pre loader that is being utilized as a helper instead of being put on the road? From what I've read the cover drivers list is supposed to be exhausted before any helpers hit the streets.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

They just started doing this in my center. What should be the pay rate for a cover driver/pre loader that is being utilized as a helper instead of being put on the road? From what I've read the cover drivers list is supposed to be exhausted before any helpers hit the streets.

This would be correct----there should be no drivers laid off and all insiders should be given the option before any off the street helpers are used.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
We had a ft driver out with a broken wrist back in early 90's
He ran shot gun with the new hire on a split rte doing over 300 stops a day , he delivered small pkgs , sheeted pkgs and told newbie where to go , Wouldn't fly today !!!