Driver facing cameras in the cab

brett636

I had the thing ding at me all day to “check your seatbelt” a few days ago. My seatbelt was definitely on. Now UPS is going to get a notification that I was driving around all day without a seatbelt. If they’re going to have these things, at least make sure they are accurate. Same thing when I’m on the highway and I get a “speeding” notification because the stupid thing is reading the speed limit sign for the off-ramp.
Back when I did air driving and they had just installed telematics in the package cars. My direct supervisor let me know that they showed me constantly taking my seatbelt on and off while driving down the road. I wasn’t, but a bad sensor in the truck told them I was. I felt as if my supervisor didn’t believe me, but it made no sense as to why I would be constantly undoing my seatbelt while trying to drive the truck. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Mutineer

Don't block the sensor...You can't mess with THEIR equipment.
But your own sunglasses, well you can protect your eyes from I.R. beams...
The benefit is that "events" will not be triggered, so no recording of body triggered "events".
If the camera cant find your retinas, it can't find your face and body.
I have a pair, they work.

Well. That solves that problem.

Few things please me more than an analog solution to a digital problem.

Whither

Scofflaw
Back when I did air driving and they had just installed telematics in the package cars. My direct supervisor let me know that they showed me constantly taking my seatbelt on and off while driving down the road. I wasn’t, but a bad sensor in the truck told them I was. I felt as if my supervisor didn’t believe me, but it made no sense as to why I would be constantly undoing my seatbelt while trying to drive the truck. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Exactly, the camera is another tool for harassment.

Thebrownblob

Exactly, the camera is another tool for harassment.
I agree with you although even now telematics is just ignored.

Boss….Why was your seatbelt unbuckled when the car rolled 2 inches?

Me… I don’t know

Boss… OK put VS1 in your board

Me.. OK boss man, by the way I need air help.

Whither

Scofflaw
I agree with you although even now telematics is just ignored.
I think that's been the case in my center for a while, too -- but they obviously still use it. For example, this last peak they caught a senior driver of retirement age driving without his seatbelt. Even better: his wife was his helper, and she also wasn't wearing hers. No idea why and very stupid. When firing him (he got reinstated) they mentioned telematics had tipped them off, e.g., "We saw your belt was buckled all day."

Thebrownblob

I think that's been the case in my center for a while, too -- but they obviously still use it. For example, this last peak they caught a senior driver of retirement age driving without his seatbelt. Even better: his wife was his helper, and she also wasn't wearing hers. No idea why and very stupid. When firing him (he got reinstated) they mentioned telematics had tipped them off, e.g., "We saw your belt was buckled all day."
I guess you can’t fix stupid! Chances are he would eventually have got caught even without telematics. What an idiot!

In some ways telematics has become The joke that just keeps the On car supervisors running around talking to people about nonsense. Paperwork pushers and they know it. The company is destroying their selves with reports and technology.

I’ve told many management people when they ride with me, I cannot fake my normal practices for very long if you ride with me all day you’ll see them. When I sit in the seat the seatbelt buckled and I’m not even thinking about it.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
1653063251025.png

RMR46

Remember to wash your hands get rid of the pee bottle. And smile at the camera the whole time
Exactly that’s probably why you should be worried about your job, not mine. And it depends on your DM the last one we had did yell at them all day and it was hilarious look like a bunch of whipped dogs with their tails between their legs. 😂

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive

Back when I worked a package fleet a driver in our building got written up for a something similar. By pure coincidence that truck happened to have issue with telematics very shortly after, and a few telematics repairs logged in the system that week.

ManInBrown

Had a pretty unsettling convo with one of the boys from the hall a few weeks ago. Seemed pretty resigned to the fact that these cameras were a done deal. Didn’t come right out and say we had no fight, but might as well have. And I’m in the 177 which is one of the strongest locals in the country. I’m hoping he just wasn’t up on the subject because we don’t have them up here yet. Said he was aware they were installed in some vehicles in Texas but that was pretty much the extent of his knowledge on the subject, which was pretty disappointing. This needs to be a huge fight and the union needs to make sure these inward facing cameras don’t get installed. Outward, fine, can totally understand the thinking. Inward will just be used to single drivers out they don’t like and terminate them.

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
Sorry, I don't get on here just to stir the pot I just don't hang out and answer all the replies. I spend all day at UPS why would I spend all evening? I thought this forum was for all UPS employees not just hourlies. Believe it or not we like to vent too...even we are amazed on what comes down from upstairs sometimes.

I like to be on here and give the management perspective side of things sometimes and keep some people grounded in reality. A lot of people on this forum think they know how it works in management but they really do not. They may know bits and pieces but that is about it.
Better not Bigger

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
He only shows up to take jabs and run away for a week or two. I have zero respect for management that are in place for the last 15 years. They all have to lie, cheat, and steal to keep their jobs. It is a fact. Most come in with good intentions of doing the right thing but are converted in a month or two. Fact.
Sounds like democrats