Driver Termination

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I've seen quite a few of these boneheads get canned over the years.
One guy would come in early and help unload cages for his loop putting boxes of high end jeans in his truck instead of the mall truck.He was meeting someone on road that would take them to his garage...how dumb do they think ups is?
Another Jamaican guy was sending nda letters back home for free.
Stupid.
We had an OMS given the option of resigning or being termeinated for this same thing. I am so dissapointed that whe is no longer with us.:happy-very:

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
When one of the Harry Potter books came out in 2007, I pulled a double. The next day, rumors were going around about two guys caught with books at the gate. Apparently, one was offered $500 to get one out. The other was trying to get one out for his kid. Idiots. Jail is almost too good for liars, cheats and thieves. -Rocky

A

anonymous6

A driver in our center was just fired , a 4 year employee.

Seems he DR'd packages, then delivered them to a relatives house instead. Then he & the relative sold the items on eBay.

I cannot wrap my head around how stupid someone would have to be to do this.

(We all knew something was up - $5,000 reward posters newly posted everywhere, loss-prevention won't let me go outside to smoke, etc.)

Anyone have anything that beats this in the stupidity department?

Whoa Nelly

Did the company press charges? Was he tried and convicted? Did the union just assume he was guilty?

need mor info here.

brownrodster

I cannot wrap my head around how stupid someone would have to be to do this.

I agree. In the first place I don't understand stealing other people stuff. And secondly I don't understand why someone would risk a 60-100k$ a year job to steal some crap and sell it on ebay. What a maroon. Glad he's gone.

brownrodster

People always ask. "Don't you wonder whats in the boxes?" My reply has always been. "Its really not worth my job to wonder whats in the boxes."

I've never understood why people even care what's in these boxes. I've been told by so many people how if they were near all these boxes they'd want to open them. To me they are just cardboard full of crap. Random crap. Seriously, the stuff in these boxes is usually only interesting to the person recieving them. It's just a bunch of crap. And I'm paid to give people their crap filled brown boxes.

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
I couldn't care less what is in the boxes, just wish it was all very light. We just had a package car driver resign because he was padding his miles and got caught. I asked how much he was gaining by doing this and was told 50 to 60 dollars a week. Incredible what some people will throw away to gain so little. Guess that is why jails are full of stupid criminals.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I agree. In the first place I don't understand stealing other people stuff. And secondly I don't understand why someone would risk a 60-100k$ a year job to steal some crap and sell it on ebay. What a maroon. Glad he's gone.

THey use low-wage covers in his region, so not necessarily top-rate drivers....though I assume the 20 year driver is.

THey use low-wage covers in his region, so not necessarily top-rate drivers....though I assume the 20 year driver is.
Irrelevant, a thief is a thief. It's just a matter of what degree of stupid .

I have always figured you could get by with stealing just about anything you wanted from UPS and get away with it.....ONCE. But to keep doing it is where the stupidity grows exponentially. In 20 years I have seen 5 drivers loose their jobs by stealing COD money back when we accepted cash. LOL, we even lost two in one week. We all called them Dumb and Dumber.

UnconTROLLed

perfection

I have always figured you could get by with stealing just about anything you wanted from UPS and get away with it.....ONCE. But to keep doing it is where the stupidity grows exponentially. In 20 years I have seen 5 drivers loose their jobs by stealing COD money back when we accepted cash. LOL, we even lost two in one week. We all called them Dumb and Dumber.

What he said is irrelevant, I agree.

I was only responding to that comment.

Hangingon

Had a senior driver peal an inspection sticker off his PC and place it on his car. A few weeks later he asked the mechanic to look at something on his car in the parking lot. Mechanic noticed the sticker on his windshield looked like it had been recycled, checked the numbers later.. and made $600.

We've had a few reward situations here, but have never heard of anyone actually making the $5K.

ups1990

I've never understood why people even care what's in these boxes. I've been told by so many people how if they were near all these boxes they'd want to open them. To me they are just cardboard full of crap. Random crap. Seriously, the stuff in these boxes is usually only interesting to the person recieving them. It's just a bunch of crap. And I'm paid to give people their crap filled brown boxes.
You're so right on the money. It's unproffesional crapola to open a box.

slantnosechevy

Most on here long in the tooth remember when we handled cash that they'd hide the safe in one of the pups and transfer the money to home base. Had a supe. set the feeder driver up by following him to his stop for break then he busted the seal on the trailer took the cash and resealed the trailer. Feeder driver was fired. Loss prevention investigates. LP walks into ctr. holding a NDA envelope and conducts a small meeting with all the supes. and tells them," Guys we've got the prints right here and we've got our guy. We just have to send this off for confirmation." As they leave the room they leave the envelope on the desk and everyone walks out. Except Mr. Guity Supe. He sneaks back in and opens the envelope. It's empty. He turns around and LP and the rest of the supes. are standing there. Feeder driver gets job back with backpay. Happy ending.

ups1990

Very glad UPS, stopped accepting cash. Some vendors at indoor swap meet's were very dishonest. They would hand you a stack of $20's for a $2000.00 COD and walk away. I would have to count the money in front of them and very frequently would be short by $20 or $40.

raceanoncr

Hmmm...with all these examples, it's hard to take Bill O'Reilly serious when he constantly states on the "Factor", "Americans are smart!"

We had a package come through small sort one night that was 'Buzzing" - constantly. Had to open it to inspect in the presence of security and division sort manager. found what could only be called as female personal pleasure devices and Dove chocolates being sent to an army wife at Ft. Sill OK.

We retaped and sent it along its way. - left it buzzing as it went. :happy-very:

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
It's funny - I started this thread due to the stupidity of a driver and the increased security in our building because of it. Someone above mention the stupidity of Americans - I don't think it is possible to underestimate the stupidity of some people.

A poster above mentioned people mostly send crap. How true is that? Sometimes I'm amazed with what I see being sent - my favorite of all time being a case of toilet paper, sent NDA EAM.

Which brings me to what made me start this thread - the increased security in our bnuilding because of the actions of a few.

I lifted this 3X3X3 box last night, and the bottom completely fell out, spilling the contents - a dirty blanket, a ham wrapped in plastic, bags of bagels, pictures, personal belongings. In the past I would have sworn, taped it up, sent it on it's way. If it were nails, machine parts, copier toner, I would have done just that. Instead, I made my sup come over & watch me pick it up, inventory it. I wanted nothing to do with being accused of taking some schlubs rotten ham. These thoughts never crossed my mind until recently - I'm just not interested in what people send. Now I have to prove I am not interested.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
These drivers trying to run their routes off are finally being brought in line. Good.

We "average" drivers are always compared to these guys about production.

We had a runner known to do 200 stops per day get followed the other day.

All of the other drivers can not do more than 140-160 per day on that route.

He got caught putting his seat belt on as he was pulling away, leaving his bulkhead door open between stops, rolling stop signs, running, improperly caring boxes, not using his flashers, leaving the bulkhead door open when away from vehicle, etc etc etc

We have warned this guy that one day he would get caught.

He got fired.

Moral of the story.

Kissing ass only gives you bad breath.
My name is STUG, and I'm a recovering runner. PHEW, there, I said it.

I've seen quite a few of these boneheads get canned over the years.
One guy would come in early and help unload cages for his loop putting boxes of high end jeans in his truck instead of the mall truck.He was meeting someone on road that would take them to his garage...how dumb do they think ups is?
Another Jamaican guy was sending nda letters back home for free.
Stupid.
The "Jamaican" guy, or the fact that someone would try to send NDA's for free?

Depends upon what you mean by "help."

The union has a legal responsibility to represent this employee and make sure that the company is complying with the terms of the labor agreement when it terminates his employment.
Regardless of what he is charged with, the employee is still entitled to argue the merits of his case in a fair hearing with union representation. Failure to provide the employee with such representation would expose the union and its members to a lawsuit.
Obviously, if an employee is truly guilty of theft his employement should be terminated as well as facing criminal charges.
Absolutely!

CRAP!

I couldn't care less what is in the boxes, just wish it was all very light. We just had a package car driver resign because he was padding his miles and got caught. I asked how much he was gaining by doing this and was told 50 to 60 dollars a week. Incredible what some people will throw away to gain so little. Guess that is why jails are full of stupid criminals.
???

Sorry..................................Isn't this the same as smoking?

A

anonymous6

We had a package that was vibrating and had to be taken off the belt. A whole team of supes gathered around it to open it.

It turned out to be s huge dil""o that had somehow had turned on. I would have love to be the guy that delivered that package.