Drivers Working Preload (“Extra Work”) But Going Home After Poll

Is it ok when a driver works preload “extra work” then uses seniority to go home as an extra driver?

• No. They already reported to work therefore aren’t an extra driver.

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Yes, seniority rules.

Votes: 13 61.9%
  • It’s not a contract violation but is morally wrong. They are screwing others out of extra work.

Votes: 3 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Overpaid Union Thug

This is currently an issue in several of the buildings in our local. To me the language (National and Southern) seems silent on the issue. Some argue seniority. Others argue that having worked preload means the driver has already made themself available to drive. Some feel that, at the very least, it’s screwing other people (that didn’t get the call to work) out of extra work/OT. I figured I poll BC.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
Extra work is extra work
They get that option because they have the seniority
Seniority also affords you the right to work NOT the right not to work.
If you reported to work then you are available to work and should not get the option to go home unless you are out of hours

542thruNthru

Extra work is extra work
They get that option because they have the seniority
Seniority also affords you the right to work NOT the right not to work.
If you reported to work then you are available to work and should not get the option to go home unless you are out of hours

So you believe if they are sending home drivers that drivers shouldn't be allowed to use seniority to get time off if wanted?

I disagree. Seniority rules

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
This is currently an issue in several of the buildings in our local. To me the language (National and Southern) seems silent on the issue. Some argue seniority. Others argue that having worked preload means the driver has already made themself available to drive. Some feel that, at the very least, it’s screwing other people (that didn’t get the call to work) out of extra work/OT. I figured I poll BC.
usually if a full time driver is working preload it means there is no driving work for him or her. Not to mention i have never seen a full time driver come in on preload then go drive for 8 hours after

Last edited:

UnconTROLLed

perfection
So you believe if they are sending home drivers that drivers shouldn't be allowed to use seniority to get time off if wanted?

I disagree. Seniority rules
Depends on the supplement. Here, vlo's are not by seniority but by mgmt favorites. Union says tough luck. However other supplements (southern? Atlantic?) Has VLO's by seniority

UnconTROLLed

perfection
usually if a full time driver is working preload it means there is no driving work for him or her. Not to mention i have never seen a full time driver come in on preload then go drive for 8 hours after
We have drivers routinely start at 5-6-7am, make 1.5x until their start time then pull a route. Preload has a call-in list they must exhaust before sups can work

542thruNthru

Depends on the supplement. Here, vlo's are not by seniority but by mgmt favorites. Union says tough luck.

Management has tried to play the "seniority gives you the right to work" card but we file and win.

Seniority is everything in this job and a 58yo beat up driver shouldn't have to work because some 22yo cover would like to go drink.
Screenshot_20190813-105029_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

gman042

Been around the block a few times
Oh I see. No, there is an extra work call-in list. If the preload is short staffed they start calling drivers at 5-6, so it might only be an hour or two of preload

Hahaha

Or preload does not even start until 6
We are lucky to get out of the building at 1015