Ever get on here and wonder?

Ouch

Why people make their job harder than it has to be. You have a contract to go buy. Make it work for you. You are paying dues make the union work for you. You wouldn't go buy dinner and not eat. UPS is a game and they make the rules up as you play. Play by their rules and you win everytime. Work as instructed. It may take you longer doing it their way, but their are benefits to doing so. You are paid by the hour. If you just slow down and use their methods and go by their rules your route will surely change. I've seen it first hand. Complaining about too much work gets you know where. Working by their instructions and needing help everyday works. Won't be long till they get tired of sending you Help or you having missed pieces gets old. Then your answer is always, " I'm working as you instructed ". If everybody would do this life would be so much simpler. People say they will keep me out all night. There again the union will help you on the 9.5 grievance. They can only keep you out 2 days then they pay you. Sort of a rant over. Yall be safe and have a great weekend.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
You make a good point. However, as long as people have the ability to communicate...some will always complain. Some people aren't happy unless they have something to whine about....it is what it is.

Indecisi0n

While I do agree I think language for split drivers should be stronger. Split drivers are the main guys getting killed and with work they have no clue where it's located. All split drivers should be able to file 9.5 grievances no if ands or buts about it. I know there are ways for them to do it now but they need to jump through hoops to do so.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

The problem I see is that even if you do it by the book they find something that they think you did wrong. With all of our observations we HAVE to find something wrong that the person did. They could do everything perfect but you have to ding them on something. It's like they want everything to be perfect, but they want something they can complain about.

Sent using BrownCafe App

upscat

Why people make their job harder than it has to be. You have a contract to go buy. Make it work for you. You are paying dues make the union work for you. You wouldn't go buy dinner and not eat. UPS is a game and they make the rules up as you play. Play by their rules and you win everytime. Work as instructed. It may take you longer doing it their way, but their are benefits to doing so. You are paid by the hour. If you just slow down and use their methods and go by their rules your route will surely change. I've seen it first hand. Complaining about too much work gets you know where. Working by their instructions and needing help everyday works. Won't be long till they get tired of sending you Help or you having missed pieces gets old. Then your answer is always, " I'm working as you instructed ". If everybody would do this life would be so much simpler. People say they will keep me out all night. There again the union will help you on the 9.5 grievance. They can only keep you out 2 days then they pay you. Sort of a rant over. Yall be safe and have a great weekend.

working as instructed puts you in a antaganistic situation. Most dont want all the extra strife.

JL 0513

The thing I wonder most about on here is "do people grasp the concept of paragraphs?"

I'm often aggravated by this as well. Either people are poorly educated, or just lazy when they are typing on the internet. Writing skills are just awful in a majority of posts. I realize this is casual posting, but some structure helps us all read and understand posts.

JL 0513

Now as for the OP's post, it's all well and good but easier said than done. In the sense that you may end up looking pretty bad. Lots of guys don't care I guess, but many of us do. If you are an hour+ paid over everyday, then it may appear that you're either a slacker or you can't handle the job.

I find that UPS has these set of job methods we are to follow but if we actually followed them all by the book, the day would never end. They say they want us to work by the methods, but at the same time, I think they hope we don't take them all too literally, because production would be killed. That's why I highly doubt camera's will ever be implemented into the package cars because it would destroy production and end all the shortcuts required to do the job in a reasonable time.

I'm not saying I or we work unsafely, but to take all the literature so literally would be silly in many respects. Imagine if you lifted every package, including those under 5 lbs, in the manner that you illustrate to a sup while doing your DOK's? Doing all 8 keys slowly and precisely. Do that for each of the 300 pieces you move each day. That's 2 hours paid over right there. Now factor in every other method and do them all slowly as written. That will be one hell of a day.

My pride in myself unfortunately keeps me from looking like a loser. I refuse to be a runner gunner, but I like to come close to scratch. "Average" is fine by me, but I don't want to be that guy that can't do the job.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
I wonder the same thing daily at work.These silly kids run every single day to get off early,and grumble and moan when their stop counts keeps going up

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Now as for the OP's post, it's all well and good but easier said than done. In the sense that you may end up looking pretty bad. Lots of guys don't care I guess, but many of us do. If you are an hour+ paid over everyday, then it may appear that you're either a slacker or you can't handle the job.

I find that UPS has these set of job methods we are to follow but if we actually followed them all by the book, the day would never end. They say they want us to work by the methods, but at the same time, I think they hope we don't take them all too literally, because production would be killed. That's why I highly doubt camera's will ever be implemented into the package cars because it would destroy production and end all the shortcuts required to do the job in a reasonable time.

I'm not saying I or we work unsafely, but to take all the literature so literally would be silly in many respects. Imagine if you lifted every package, including those under 5 lbs, in the manner that you illustrate to a sup while doing your DOK's? Doing all 8 keys slowly and precisely. Do that for each of the 300 pieces you move each day. That's 2 hours paid over right there. Now factor in every other method and do them all slowly as written. That will be one hell of a day.

My pride in myself unfortunately keeps me from looking like a loser. I refuse to be a runner gunner, but I like to come close to scratch. "Average" is fine by me, but I don't want to be that guy that can't do the job.
Who cares about scratch, theres no such thing as scratch. All the numbers are make believe. Make believe just like Santa Claus, Bigfoot, Godzilla, well you get what im saying. Theres no scientific or physical proof to these numbers as virtual time studies make up these numbers. I could care less about how over or under I am. I don't give a freak about their numbers. You do the job and it will be what it will be. If you dwell or try and meet production numbers you've already lost the mind trap they've set you up for.

JL 0513

Who cares about scratch, theres no such thing as scratch. All the numbers are make believe. Make believe just like Santa Claus, Bigfoot, Godzilla, well you get what im saying. Theres no scientific or physical proof to these numbers as virtual time studies make up these numbers. I could care less about how over or under I am. I don't give a freak about their numbers. You do the job and it will be what it will be. If you dwell or try and meet production numbers you've already lost the mind trap they've set you up for.

Yeah, I get that, but it's usually a reasonable estimate. Depends on the route. Whether we take the numbers seriously or not doesn't matter. You put up bad numbers and then you have to hear about it in the morning. I don't like the hassle.

I'm sure when I've been around much longer, I won't give a crap anymore. When you're newer, there's that sense of proving yourself that is hard to avoid. Just the way it is.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Some centers I give ya may have reasonable numbers, but most do not. I think that's a fair assessment. But for most routes at my center they are not. Biggest reason being for most part is that the dispatch on most routes changes every single day of the week. Its not like the good old days where you ran a route and for most part it was the same area every day. Back then you ran what they put on there and that was it. They didn't trip on the ot like nowadays with unrealistic numbers to beat. Of course unrealistic walked in the door as soon as the company went public.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
First 5 years you run your nutts off cause you don't know any better. After the first 5 after you got some miles on that car, you learn you gotta slow down to preserve some tread on them tires to finish the race lol.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
I'm often aggravated by this as well. Either people are poorly educated, or just lazy when they are typing on the internet. Writing skills are just awful in a majority of posts. I realize this is casual posting, but some structure helps us all read and understand posts.

Another thing that infuriates me is when people type ".................." at the end of a sentence. One period always suffices, people.