Explain to me the progression in pay

Hroller

I'm a seasonal guy. To be honest I don't entirely understand the contract. What I do know is that the longer you have been with UPS,
you are rewarded with annual raises. What is the thinking regarding this?

Why I ask....as a seasonal driver, I make $16 an hour. A guy who is driving for UPS for more than 10 years, gets $10 or even more per hour than I do.
Yet, here I am doing the same job.....and I can do it faster and more efficiently than most of the permanent drivers in our center. I'm usually an hour or more under the plan. Why is that person paid more?

Many years ago I worked in a steel mill. The way our contract there was written....let's say I'm a guy newly hired and I'm pushing a broom. I would get $10 an hour. Now a guy who has been there 25 years is pushing a similar broom. His wage is exactly the same. I realize that I am the younger guy and can probably push that broom more efficiently, but I believe in same money for the same job. Don't get me wrong, the old geezer with 25 years deserves his 6 weeks vacation to my 1 week due to his loyal longevity....but he doesn't deserve extra pay for doing the same job.

That doesn't seem to be the case at UPS

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
All regular UPS drivers earn the same top rate of pay, after they complete a three-year wage progression. Theoretically, wage progressions represent the learning curve associated with a job; e.g. a newly hired employee isn't going to provide the same level of production as a 10-year guy. Unfortunately, this isn't always true in a manual labor-intensive environment.

To UPS's credit, most true seasonal drivers are dispatched with significantly lighter loads than their peers (often in subpar equipment, such as older trucks without power steering, rental trucks) and management isn't as concerned about their performance (just get it done) - it's insiders-turned-seasonal working their 10th peak season for the same seasonal rate that's below their inside wage that get abused.

Ms.PacMan

In a nut shell - UPS needs the extra money they are not paying you per hour to afford your work comp and accident claims.

Why are you stirring the pot?

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I'm a seasonal guy. To be honest I don't entirely understand the contract. What I do know is that the longer you have been with UPS,

Why I ask....as a seasonal driver, I make $16 an hour. A guy who is driving for UPS for more than 10 years, gets $10 or even more per hour than I do.
Yet, here I am doing the same job.....and I can do it faster and more efficiently than most of the permanent drivers in our center. I'm usually an hour or more under the plan. Why is that person paid more?

Many years ago I worked in a steel mill. The way our contract there was written....let's say I'm a guy newly hired and I'm pushing a broom. I would get $10 an hour. Now a guy who has been there 25 years is pushing a similar broom. His wage is exactly the same. I realize that I am the younger guy and can probably push that broom more efficiently, but I believe in same money for the same job. Don't get me wrong, the old geezer with 25 years deserves his 6 weeks vacation to my 1 week due to his loyal longevity....but he doesn't deserve extra pay for doing the same job.

You are management material and really are too efficient to be a driver,might want to think about putting your letter in....you would be an efficient manager....I'm sure of it.

UPSGUY72

That what the union and the company agreed upon. Just like the union and the steel mill agreed upon in there contracts.

You also are forgetting that UPS is a union shop pay is not based on performance you can be the laziest driver in the world and work for UPS and make $31 + hr all that you have to do is put up with management given you a hard time about your pace.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n

You are gods gift to drivers, I don't see why they don't pay you twice as much as the slower and less efficient drivers. Oh that's right, you haven't been doing the job for 25 years, putting your time in as PT in most cases at minimum wage, and having your body broken down over time fighting with antiquated equipment. You just hopped on the truck as a season driver and think you have it all figured out, feeling cheated because you're making less money than everyone else. You've become so enlightened in your 2 months driving, you sound like every other sup that's come and gone.

Hroller

I'm the OP.

I've been driving seasonal for 5 years, at 3 different centers. I am not a permanent employee. In the summer and during peak all three hubs ask me to work for them. The thing is, they all pay the same wage...doesn't matter that I have 5 different years of driving. This past peak, I chose to drive for the closest center to my house, after the manager promised me 5 days of work a week, no matter if they were light or not. Come April I will be asked to come back to one of the three centers.... I'm in Michigan, a RTW state. I'm wondering now if I can negotiate MY OWN WAGE, instead of having a third party (the union) interfer?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Lol good luck. Your center manager doesn't pay u. Ups the corporation does. They likely feel your worth about $10 an hour.

Justaname

I'm the OP.

I've been driving seasonal for 5 years, at 3 different centers. I am not a permanent employee. In the summer and during peak all three hubs ask me to work for them. The thing is, they all pay the same wage...doesn't matter that I have 5 different years of driving. This past peak, I chose to drive for the closest center to my house, after the manager promised me 5 days of work a week, no matter if they were light or not. Come April I will be asked to come back to one of the three centers.... I'm in Michigan, a RTW state. I'm wondering now if I can negotiate MY OWN WAGE, instead of having a third party (the union) interfer?
Scab, you don't deserve full pay. Go work for a nonunion company

Hroller

Scab, you don't deserve full pay. Go work for a nonunion company

Why the negativity? This BC is so full of negativity. The line of thinking is so narrow minded. It as if the people here only know of one world - the world of UPS. Even my supe is so afraid of losing his job! I've never worked for a company before where so many people live in fear of losing their job. And let's say for some reason you do lose you job. So what? There are others.

Before I became seasonal with UPS I had a whole other career path. I was working in Ohio, and applied for a job in Chicago. After the interview, I was offered the job, the pay was NOT what I felt I needed to justify a move. So we went back and forth until we agreed on my salary and moving expenses. After I arrived in Chicago to work I was informed that I had to join the union! I asked why? Was informed that where I worked was a union shop. My salary was well above the union scale, but none the less I had no choice but to say yes. I was also informed the initiation dues were $900! WTF? I voiced my displeasure and the company said they would pay the initiation dues for me, but I was still responsible for the monthly dues...about $90 a month. I was with this company almost 4 years, never attended a union meeting, never even knew we had a union steward. It was just how they did things in Illinois. The only things I remember about being in this union was that I was not allowed to do certain things that were covered by the other union in the company. Silly things like changing the batteries in a tape recorder.

I'm not against the union, but it was other than taking 90 dollars a month from me and sending me a news letter from time to time, I just had no need for that union.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
I'm not against the union, but it was other than taking 90 dollars a month from me and sending me a news letter from time to time, I just had no need for that union.

LOL. Actually, your posting reflects the typical attitude of BC -- UPS drivers who are ignorant enough to believe that if there was no union, they'd still be earning the same compensation package (~$32/hour + excellent no-cost benefits + full retirement benefits).

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I'm the OP.

I wish you could negotiate your own contract, then you can come on here as ask why you make the same as someone flipping burgers.

Johney

To the O/P,
Lets fast forward to your driving career after a year or so.
"Why do I keep getting 20 more stops added than yesterday"? I worked harder than everyone else and skipped my lunch,ran 2 hours under yet they keep giving me more work? That's not fair! Whine,whine,whine.

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
So let me ask you this...If YOU were the one with the job for 25 years, you would be ok with a seasonal who just started making the exact same wage as you? Will a couple extra weeks of vacation really make you content with that? Is the OP trolling? Do you not expect there to be some sort of raise? If you ran your own business, would you trust someone who is new as much as someone who's been around for 20 years? Would you expect the same performance? Are you seriously asking the question you are asking?

Hroller

No I'm not trolling at all. In the Steelworkers union, I would work alongside guys with 20 years seniority. If we were both doing the same job, we would get the same hourly wage and tonnage.I believe this is the same with the UAW. If you're putting bumpers on cars, doesn't matter if you've been doing it for 10 years or 10 months, that job pay grade is the same.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
No I'm not trolling at all. In the Steelworkers union, I would work alongside guys with 20 years seniority. If we were both doing the same job, we would get the same hourly wage and tonnage.I believe this is the same with the UAW. If you're putting bumpers on cars, doesn't matter if you've been doing it for 10 years or 10 months, that job pay grade is the same.

The UAW uses a four-year pay progression scale (and top rate still doesn't match the top rate of employees hired prior to the bankruptcy. Most other unionized companies also use pay progression scales... most airlines, for example, have ten-year progression scales. It's the norm, not the exception.

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
Throwing a bumper on a car, and doing the job at the level of our veteran package car drivers is hardly an item to be compared. I mean, how much better can you learn how to screw one thing to another over time? On the other hand, a dedicated and long tenured package car driver is going to blow away some shmuck straight off the street. They deserve to be compensated accordingly. I just fail to follow your logic...regardless of your examples. Basically.....sucks to be steelworkers???