Express Pay Increase?

Will Express Get a Pay Hike in 2021?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Aquaman

There are already automated machines offloading freight. Never underestimate technology that is being developed. Look at everything that has been developed over the last 30 years. Since companies can't find people willing to work, they will need to go to alternative means. I ate at a restaurant yesterday that had a screen at the table. You placed your own order and a person brought mine and several other tables their food. The screen also gave me my bill and took my payment. By not having to deal with the customers very much, the server was able to handle many more tables than normal. Less servers but serving the same amount of tables.
Robotics can work in a controlled environment. Like a warehouse or even a restaurant. But out on their own in the real world, there are way way way too many uncontrollable variables.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Robotics can work in a controlled environment. Like a warehouse or even a restaurant. But out on their own in the real world, there are way way way too many uncontrollable variables.
That’s right.

We’ll see how well they perform in bad weather, interpreting dispatch directions or how good they are at fending off porch pirates.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
It’s never going to happen. Every company has to have a team working on garbage like this just to promote that they’re thinking up big ideas. It’s not applicable in the real world. It’s no different than truck drivers fearing self driving robotic trucks. Sensors won’t work in dense fog. Sensors won’t work when they’re caked with snow. When they can’t see the lines on the road. When pop up construction zones remap lanes that aren’t on the GPS. A person standing in the road to block traffic and then waving you through, but still in the road. Tires will always need chains. And conditions will never be perfect enough for robots to be running around unsupervised. It’s too risky and dangerous and no company is going to risk the lawsuits. Major cities in this country had a problem with those pay scooters being littered around town. Imagine delivery robots holding up a crosswalk trying to figure out how to go up a icy curb. Ya it’s never going to happen. Cute idea though and it makes for a decent innovation promo on YouTube.
Looks like robots are improving by leaps and bounds! (pun intended)

Empty Pockets

If you drive for Fed and are under 40 or even 50 get the hell out. They have nothing to offer above anyone else these days. We have seen what the top thinks of us with the paltry and zero raise after a great fiscal yr so you know we aren’t getting anything going forward.
I’m out in few months, quit wasting your life,seriously
Anyone close to age 40 should really consider going to another company with a pension. We have all the pension we will get here other than the POS PPA which is increasing by 8% of your salary per year. If you have close to 20 years in here and can get 20 more somewhere else, you can prolly retire early and have both pensions.
I saw a lot of people on Facebook a few minutes ago saying their management told them that. A 3% bonus, not raise.
If we do get anything, it cannot be a raise because they just posted the new pay scales and a raise would nullify it.
So if I grossed 100 k last year what’s my 3%. 😜
Hehe,
Why did Fedex stop with payscale?
It was flawed and would not work with their ulterior motives. That is why they have not done a step progression after the initial one.

Aquaman

Looks like robots are improving by leaps and bounds! (pun intended)

It would take a lot more than just robotics to do the job of a courier. It would require next level A.I. to leave the station with a truck of packages and deal with all the on road issues one comes across. The robot would also need to be able to arrive at a stop with a blocked dock, make the decision to come back later, go to the next stop, oops it’s a bad suite number, go to the directory in the hallway and find the right suite, oh crap security requires deliveries to use the freight elevator, go find that, make the delivery, now return to the previous stop and get in a dock, but wait, they also have a pickup they want you to take and they don’t have an airbill, go back to the truck get an airbill and talk them through the process only for them to realize they want to send it Ground lol. It’s just not gonna happen dude...

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
It would take a lot more than just robotics to do the job of a courier. It would require next level A.I. to leave the station with a truck of packages and deal with all the on road issues one comes across. The robot would also need to be able to arrive at a stop with a blocked dock, make the decision to come back later, go to the next stop, oops it’s a bad suite number, go to the directory in the hallway and find the right suite, oh crap security requires deliveries to use the freight elevator, go find that, make the delivery, now return to the previous stop and get in a dock, but wait, they also have a pickup they want you to take and they don’t have an airbill, go back to the truck get an airbill and talk them through the process only for them to realize they want to send it Ground lol. It’s just not gonna happen dude...
Learn from history, @Aquaman!

It doesn't matter if it's practical, cost-effective, or scrupulous. If the powers-that-be have committed to making robots the future, they will make robots the future! Even if bankruptcy comes first!

SmithBarney

If we do get anything, it cannot be a raise because they just posted the new pay scales and a raise would nullify it.
The only thing they can do is adjust the chart/scales.. all they've said so far is you are going to the next step, they haven't said as far as I've seen which chart we are using.. so they could save a little face by adding 5-10% to the chart...

Aquaman

Learn from history, @Aquaman!

It doesn't matter if it's practical, cost-effective, or scrupulous. If the powers-that-be have committed to making robots the future, they will make robots the future! Even if bankruptcy comes first!
The only thing they’re committed to is advertising that they’re innovating and thinking big. All we’ve seen is essentially a FedEx drop box on wheels carrying a single box lol. I wouldn’t really consider that going all in on robotics.

falcon back

Anyone close to age 40 should really consider going to another company with a pension. We have all the pension we will get here other than the POS PPA which is increasing by 8% of your salary per year. If you have close to 20 years in here and can get 20 more somewhere else, you can prolly retire early and have both pensions.
Less than 14% of Fortune 500 companies have a Pension. Less than 10% have a Pension and a 401k. Good luck finding a company with both.

Buhryein

The only thing they can do is adjust the chart/scales.. all they've said so far is you are going to the next step, they haven't said as far as I've seen which chart we are using.. so they could save a little face by adding 5-10% to the chart...
They stated in the email that those at the top rate (step 10) in all markets will not be changing.

If they added anything to the chart now excluding step 10 (which they said will not change) it would be even more of a slap in the face to those that are at step 10.

fatboy33

They stated in the email that those at the top rate (step 10) in all markets will not be changing.

If they added anything to the chart now excluding step 10 (which they said will not change) it would be even more of a slap in the face to those that are at step 10.
Isn't the Portable pension plan based on the amount of money made in a year? I expect them to find ways to cut step 10 employees hours. They'll find a way, even if they hire 80 new employees. Just think the amount of profit they made during the covid peak. If they can't find a way to thank the step 10s then, I doubt there will be any raises for step 10s for the next 2 years.

falcon back

Isn't the Portable pension plan based on the amount of money made in a year? I expect them to find ways to cut step 10 employees hours. They'll find a way, even if they hire 80 new employees. Just think the amount of profit they made during the covid peak. If they can't find a way to thank the step 10s then, I doubt there will be any raises for step 10s for the next 2 years.
There is more freight than ever and you actually believe they will cut hours to save a few $ on Portable Pension deposits?

NC man

Don’t know how it is around the country but the move of express to Ground seems to be picking up. Used to have 60. 70 p2 now its around 40.

McFeely

Huge Member
Don’t know how it is around the country but the move of express to Ground seems to be picking up. Used to have 60. 70 p2 now its around 40.

I know the Ground guy in my area is busy as ever, but my route hasn't slowed down really much at all. My SRA boundaries were built with a plan of about 80 stops, but I'm regularly over 100. I have noticed a lesser amount of packages in my truck, though. Smaller deliveries and less pieces per stop.

Artee

Senior manager told ops managers on Friday that he had received an email stating a 3% bonus is being proposed for top out employees. Not sure if that means couriers, handler and rtd, or just 1 or 2 of those groups. Suppose they could always lower the amount up until the october surprise date, so percentage could drop.

yadig

Senior manager told ops managers on Friday that he had received an email stating a 3% bonus is being proposed for top out employees. Not sure if that means couriers, handler and rtd, or just 1 or 2 of those groups. Suppose they could always lower the amount up until the october surprise date, so percentage could drop.
Lol! I hope that’s true! I think they are just trying to stop the mass exodus of rtd’s. I don’t believe that you will see a bonus of any kind!