Express raises.

MondayLates

Are your raises effective Oct 1st? Ground numbers finally came out yesterday after repeated delays and ours go into effect on the 1st.

They don't start until the first pay period of October starts, which is on the 4th.

According to front line this month, yes, you will go to the next step. I confirmed with my senior manger as well.

Just watched Frontline and this is in fact the case. So for anyone else just tuning in, you will only go to the next step next year, even if you are only pennies away from it. Ex: step 3 is $19.00 and you are at $18.95 after next week's raise. Next year you will only get bumped up five cents. So not only are 10 year people like me still at the bottom of a supposed 10-year scale, we have nothing to hope for next year.

dex 84

They don't start until the first pay period of October starts, which is on the 4th.

Just watched Frontline and this is in fact the case. So for anyone else just tuning in, you will only go to the next step next year, even if you are only pennies away from it. Ex: step 3 is $19.00 and you are at $18.95 after next week's raise. Next year you will only get bumped up five cents. So not only are 10 year people like me still at the bottom of a supposed 10-year scale, we have nothing to hope for next year.

Did they say that you will go to the bottom of the next step or did they just say that you would go to the next step? If a step is around $1.50 wide or so you could conceivably find yourself being bumped up into the same position in the next step as you had in your current one. That is to say if you were 95% of the way to step 3 you could find yourself bumped up to 95% of the way to step 4, assuming we take a whole step at s time.

MondayLates

Did they say that you will go to the bottom of the next step or did they just say that you would go to the next step? If a step is around $1.50 wide or so you could conceivably find yourself being bumped up into the same position in the next step as you had in your current one. That is to say if you were 95% of the way to step 3 you could find yourself bumped up to 95% of the way to step 4, assuming we take a whole step at s time.

My understanding after watching it was that you would only be bumped up to the next step. So each step is a defined rate and not a range. Meaning from now until next October is the only time people will be in between steps. Also meaning many people are going to get burned next year on raises.

overflowed

So I watched this charade since I was on OT and I was curious from this thread. Like Operational Needs said this is smoke and mirrors. They didn't even sound like they believe what they were reading off the teleprompters. Super vague. Trying to keep everyone from leaving. Last ditch attempt. This screams turnover is a problem, who's going to get fired. Probably the compensation woman.

dezguy

I don't doubt that FedEx would only bump you up to the next level, even if you are pennies away. One of my co workers was 3 cents away from job rate when they decided anyone with 5 years or more would automatically be bumped to job rate in order to kill the union drive up here. He got a 3 cent raise for the year while others with 4 or 5 years less time here got $3 or $4 raises.

fedex_rtd

Be happy with whatever raise your getting this year. You lost your frontline payout, with the company making service and profit, you could have had a nice check...don't worry the talking heads are happy to pocket that!

A few years ago, we got a raise, and then the company did away with the shift pay. Most drivers at my location ended up with a net zero pay raise that year.

This step progression is smoke and mirrors again, every few years the company talks a good talk about topping drivers out, but after a couple of years it just ends up being talk...no real action that you see on your check.

My take home is still less than 2008, due to the company stealing our pension.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I don't doubt that FedEx would only bump you up to the next level, even if you are pennies away. One of my co workers was 3 cents away from job rate when they decided anyone with 5 years or more would automatically be bumped to job rate in order to kill the union drive up here. He got a 3 cent raise for the year while others with 4 or 5 years less time here got $3 or $4 raises.

Ah, a union drive. Would they have granted the raise otherwise? No.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Be happy with whatever raise your getting this year. You lost your frontline payout, with the company making service and profit, you could have had a nice check...don't worry the talking heads are happy to pocket that!

A few years ago, we got a raise, and then the company did away with the shift pay. Most drivers at my location ended up with a net zero pay raise that year.

This step progression is smoke and mirrors again, every few years the company talks a good talk about topping drivers out, but after a couple of years it just ends up being talk...no real action that you see on your check.

My old shift as an RTD was 1700 to approximately 0500. Nobody should have to work crap hours like that and not get a shift differential. Ours was always small, but for them to take it away was robbery, and a good indicator of just how cheap they really are.

I agree. Even with a "raise", we're still headed backwards.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
No reason to stay here if you can avoid it. Everything they do is all about getting you to get more done while being paid less.

Yep. Before I go, I'm going to see if I can hire Terry Tate/Office Linebacker to spend a day with Fred and Friends at MEM HQ.

MondayLates

My first year as a swing (about 8 years ago), I got all of the worst shifts but at least then we had split pay. I made over $1000 that year in split pay, which no longer exists. I was a few years after the shift premiums (I think 2001 or so was the cutoff for being grandfathered in) but i always felt the RTDs got burned by that deal.