Express raises.

dezguy

I don't understand why they need signing bonuses. Isn't being a FedEx pilot a highly desired position in the airline industry?
Signing bonuses are common when a union ratifies a new contract. They're usually negotiated for.

If we ever sacked up and organized, we'd probably get a signing bonus too.

I Am Jacks Damaged Box

***** Club Member (can't talk about it)
These type of signing bonuses are usually in lieu of higher raises. It seems their contract is front loaded with the bonus and 10% raise with 3% the following years.

Don't tell me, tell Dave.

VPgANCP.gif

And come on now, you should by now know exactly how Frederick feels about raises.

dex 84

Having the raises set up like that is actually better for the pilots over the course of the deal. If you look at the raises as a % of their salary today it looks more like this:

Initial raise: 10%
2nd raise: 3.3%
3rd raise: 3.43%
4th raise: 3.5%
5th raise: 3.6%

Plus they have the benefit of their immediate bump in pay being the largest one so they make more for a longer period of time over the course of the deal as well as getting the lump sum signing bonus at the beginning before that money is worth less.

STFXG

The initial raise plus the bonus really only covers the pay they would have received if thy agreed to a contract back in 2012 that gave them 3% raises going forward. Without doing the math I'm guessing fedex still came out ahead.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Yes, but from what I've heard from pilots, FedEx is a job that a lot of pilots want.

FedEx pilots fly the back of the clock, but they also fly far fewer cycles than a Southwest pilot, for example. Many of the flights are one take-off, one-landing, and then off to a nice hotel in a Town Car.

vantexan

All I know is - they make an obscene amount of dough...
I've seen how excited people get about how much golfers make on just one hole in the Skins Game. How they celebrate their favorite player getting drafted in the first round in the NFL with the big bucks that go along with it. Or how much their favorite actor gets per movie. And on and on. Compare that with the pay of someone who's risking his neck piloting what is essentially a flying building. I don't begrudge them one penny, and if the goal is to be unionized then they're doing what we can only wish for.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
I've seen how excited people get about how much golfers make on just one hole in the Skins Game. How they celebrate their favorite player getting drafted in the first round in the NFL with the big bucks that go along with it. Or how much their favorite actor gets per movie. And on and on. Compare that with the pay of someone who's risking his neck piloting what is essentially a flying building. I don't begrudge them one penny, and if the goal is to be unionized then they're doing what we can only wish for.

oh I don't know, van. If these guys were flying cropdusters I might agree that they're "risking their necks"...But flying a modern jetliner is a pretty safe way of making a living these days - safer than the way we make ours, that's for sure. When was the last disastrous FedEx crash you can remember hearing about (besides the one Tom Hanks miraculously survived)?

I don't begrudge the pilots a good living either, but considering they're doing a job that is now almost entirely automated, I think they're being compensated quite handsomely.

I do complety agree with your last point however..

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Actually, being a pilot/co-pilot or flight engineer is a fairly high-risk profession. Our pilots are extremely well compensated considering they don't generally fly multi-cycle trips. Most of our pilots are ex-military, and they were making decent money there, but nothing compared to what they make at FedEx. For example, I know a C17 pilot who makes $100,000 per year at 26 years old. When he gets out, he'll easily double that.

Pilots that came up the "hard way" flying for commuters and instructing before that, have usually worked many years at low pay before making the majors. The job involves lots of time away from home, but also offers a lot of time off, since flight hours are still restricted to 60 hours per month.

What I would really like to know is the details of their pension and benefit packages, which are undoubtedly far superior to anything we'll ever see. I have never seen a thing describing what they get...other than pay.

Without a union, they'd be making far less, and even though it took a long time, they brokered a deal with El Cheapo that looks pretty good.

DontThrowPackages

.....What I would really like to know is the details of their pension and benefit packages, which are undoubtedly far superior to anything we'll ever see. I have never seen a thing describing what they get...other than pay.

Without a union, they'd be making far less, and even though it took a long time, they brokered a deal with El Cheapo that looks pretty good.
If they retire with 100 percent of their salary, I wouldn't be shocked.

ManInBrown

I deliver to a FedEx pilot. Lives one street over from 2 retired NFL players and a well known actress that has been in many blockbuster movies. Obviously can't say who because that would give my center away.

Serf

My parents neighbor is a FedEx pilot. He has over 20 years with Express. He told them over drinks he flies to Beijing twice a week and than he's off a week. Rinse and repeat. Sounds pretty sweet.