FedEx Express Peak (on topic!!)

whenIgetthere

I can’t express the high level of awe and respect I have for all of you who do 100 plus stops. My primary job is doing a pickup route, but I often deliver in the mornings. I was out for seven hours yesterday and only did about 50. I can’t think of how I’d ever manage 180.

Also, I am SO glad official peak is over. Now we’ll just have leftover and Covid combined peaks.
The better you know the area you are in, the more stops you can do. if you're a PM guy, you probably don't know the resi areas as well, but could probably knock of the business areas pretty quickly.

whenIgetthere

Delivered my last stop at 1610 CST. Only had around 100 stops, but we didn't leave the building until 945. That first week was the hardest week; after I had someone to dump on, it wasn't so bad. The worst, single day was last Wednesday. I had 150 stops, plus there was a family emergency going on behind the scenes and my phone was ringing constantly. I was a stressed out mess that day.
Had a dream last night that I accidentally went to work on an off day. Lol, I was out making deliveries when it hits me," What am I doing, it's an off day!"
We left the building between 1145 and 1215 the last three days. Luckily, my delivery stop counts were only around 120, giving me time to get my pick up route started at 1700 instead of the normal 1530.

McFeely

Huge Member
First we need to get LEO.

Leo is great when you're in an unfamiliar area, but route knowledge and setting up your truck based on memorizing a town's streets will put you further ahead than the Leo can.

The fastest couriers in my station are all the older guys who have their routes memorized and walk to each doorstep. Younger guys using the Leo that all run to every stop trying to play catch up can't match what the 55 y/o guy does on an old school PPAD and memory.

FedexGirl

Leo is great when you're in an unfamiliar area, but route knowledge and setting up your truck based on memorizing a town's streets will put you further ahead than the Leo can.

The fastest couriers in my station are all the older guys who have their routes memorized and walk to each doorstep. Younger guys using the Leo that all run to every stop trying to play catch up can't match what the 55 y/o guy does on an old school PPAD and memory.
Those skills come with time and experience - when you are new, you use whatever tools are available to you to survive - customers and management don’t care if you’ve been out there one day or 1000 days - they want the crap delivered. Everyone knows the career money days are in the rear view mirror for newer employees, so who cares if they use maps, total recall, or smoke signals to get it done?? It’s about getting it done. That being said, if you are young, and like the job and see it as something you may want to do long term- get your butt to UPS - period, end of story.

!Retired!

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 65

Gone fishin

Perhaps, but your point was that people wouldn't apply for such low paying jobs and yet they keep applying and taking the jobs.
Depends on the area. We have a lot of easier jobs with the same pay if not more available. The word is out on ground and it’s hard to find or keep people. Even at express we can’t keep part timers , especially nights

Serf

Thanks so much for your minus 500 level of intelligence. Maybe I am crippled. Not sure. But I can’t do 180. Or 150.
I have been under 100 total stops twice since April. This whole thing has been brutal since day 0. Probably average 115/120. I hope someday I can get back to under 80.

Whats in the Box

This was my busiest peak in 19 years as courier. I have a 90% resi condensed route averaging 180stops/day until Xmas week up to 235/day with 13 hour days. I track my stops and did 900 more stops in Dec20 than Dec19. I even had a helper dump route shared with neighbor route who got 125 stops/day too.

floridays

Sounds like a great place to work, any open positions?
I can't run, don't walk with urgency either. ;)

SmithBarney

Peak still not over.... more hours this week than any peak. Stops 120/108/102/75/109 from a rte that plans at about 65... Express, running about 200-250miles