FedEx Express Peak (on topic!!)

MAKAVELI

They have a union that negotiated a national contract. That reality doesn’t change the fact that it’s a waste of the company’s resources.
UPS is very profitable even paying union wages and benefits. They have found efficiency along with productive career employees is far more profitable in the long run. That's not waste, it's called long term investment.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
The UPS model has a lot of waste built in. They don’t need to pay the wages they do across the country. They could get the same quality of work for a much lower labor cost in many markets.
They have a union that negotiated a national contract. That reality doesn’t change the fact that it’s a waste of the company’s resources.

Would expect nothing less from a ground contractor trying to justify his existence

smh

falcon back

UPS is very profitable even paying union wages and benefits. They have found efficiency along with productive career employees is far more profitable in the long run. That's not waste, it's called long term investment.
Efficiency? You mean working their employees like dogs and treating them like crap. What good is making 100k if you have no home life and work till 10pm many nights?

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
Efficiency? You mean working their employees like dogs and treating them like crap. What good is making 100k if you have no home life and work till 10pm many nights?
You are exaggerating. And in my experience, the working you like dogs ironically comes mostly during the years when you're not at top rate. The only reason we had a bunch of 10pm+ clock outs this year was because of the pandemic, and ground drivers were out that late also. Outside of that, 8pm clock outs are usually my latest.

For a guy like me with no other skills and just a high school diploma I will happily take the 100K (actually a lot more than that this pandemic year) and some late clock outs. Still WAYYY better than the revolving door that is FedEx ground. In the 8 years I've been on my UPS route I've seen about 20 different ground drivers. Met all of them, some really nice and hard-working. But the common theme is that at some point they get dissatisfied with the compensation and leave for greener pastures.

falcon back

You are exaggerating. And in my experience, the working you like dogs ironically comes mostly during the years when you're not at top rate. The only reason we had a bunch of 10pm+ clock outs this year was because of the pandemic, and ground drivers were out that late also. Outside of that, 8pm clock outs are usually my latest.

For a guy like me with no other skills and just a high school diploma I will happily take the 100K (actually a lot more than that this pandemic year) and some late clock outs. Still WAYYY better than the revolving door that is FedEx ground. In the 8 years I've been on my UPS route I've seen about 20 different ground drivers. Met all of them, some really nice and hard-working. But the common theme is that at some point they get dissatisfied with the compensation and leave for greener pastures.
I know nothing about Ground and their issues, I was Express. I have Brown package car drivers that live on each side of my house. Both tell the same story, now, last month and last year. Even working until 8pm cuts into your family life. One neighbor has younger kids that are involved in various sports. Their dad never gets to watch their games due to working until 8pm or so. The other driver is single and talks about how his work schedule allows for a weekend only personal life. While I never made the 100k they might, I never missed a school or sporting events for my kids and had a 7 day a week personal life. What good is 100k if you don't get to share time with the family or have a life away from work. They both also complain about working conditions and management micro managing their workday.

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
I know nothing about Ground and their issues, I was Express. I have Brown package car drivers that live on each side of my house. Both tell the same story, now, last month and last year. Even working until 8pm cuts into your family life. One neighbor has younger kids that are involved in various sports. Their dad never gets to watch their games due to working until 8pm or so. The other driver is single and talks about how his work schedule allows for a weekend only personal life. While I never made the 100k they might, I never missed a school or sporting events for my kids and had a 7 day a week personal life. What good is 100k if you don't get to share time with the family or have a life away from work. They both also complain about working conditions and management micro managing their workday.

Those neighbors of yours need to either get on the 9.5 list or switch to a different route then. UPS is different in various parts of the country, but where I'm at, the folks working till 8pm are either by choice or newbs. The newbies are gonna get slammed no matter what. The folks that don't want the OT hop on the 9.5 list and they are off by 6:30-7pm. Which is still later than a conventional 9-5 job but we all knew what we were signing up for. We wanted the opportunity to make good money despite not having a college degree or any trade skills.

There are definitely pros and cons to being a UPS driver but the pros outweigh the cons IMO. You say what good is making 100K if you don't have time to share with the family. That's where you get creative. In my region we get 11 personal days (sick days + option days) per year. Schedule those so you don't miss those important school events for your kid. 7 weeks of vacation for me, a max of 9 weeks for 30 year vets. That's a lot of time to schedule off for family time. The main cons for me is that bills are paid, healthcare is taken care of, no worries. Which was the direct opposite of my childhood and I saw and experienced what money woes did to.mu dad and our family. Thankfully I've never experienced that in my adult life and it's thanks to this job I have now.

And you were express, that's cool. I do notice that the AM express driver on my route has been there since I first began driving. Seems those guys are compensated well enough to not want to leave. The PM express drivers on the other hand, I've seen about 6 different guys. This current guy seems likes he's satisfied though and doesn't want to leave.

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
Tired of all the bickering by a few people?
Nah I think he's complaining about how the last page of posts (including mine) aren't discussing the topic.

But hey, peak is just about done and there hasn't been all that much specific discussion about express peak lately anyway. Does a little diversion from that upset you that much?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Nah I think he's complaining about how the last page of posts (including mine) aren't discussing the topic.

But hey, peak is just about done and there hasn't been all that much specific discussion about express peak lately anyway. Does a little diversion from that upset you that much?
Not now. Peak is over. I originally made it an on topic thread because the usual idiots always ruin a thread bickering back and forth and attacking each other. That causes people to stay away because they’re tired of it.

This whole forum is dedicated to UPS (rightly so) and most threads on the FedEx side End up being an attack on the Ground model or arguing about politics or Fred S. I simply wanted ONE thread to only be dedicated to Express Peak and truly don’t think that was too much to ask.

That said, you’re really wasting your time talking to Oldfart/Falcon Back. He bleeds Purple. Period. No matter how good you have it at UPS, it can never compare to his fantasy of FedEx.