FedEx vs UPS Profit margins

SmithBarney

UPS sustains a better profit margin due to stop density, they Run 1 TRUCK(Delivers AIR/GROUND) FDX Runs 3(Express/Ground/home delivery)
There isn't a single Express route that runs the density of a UPS route

Real world scenario, a few years outdated, but still close:
At UPS 3 Routes(one loop) Downtown/ruralish/mountain is close to 300stops(180/70/50)
At Fedex in the same whole area(express runs 55 stops one truck)(Ground 120ish just businesses)(HD 40-50 just resi)

fedx

Extra Large Package
UPS sustains a better profit margin due to stop density, they Run 1 TRUCK(Delivers AIR/GROUND) FDX Runs 3(Express/Ground/home delivery)
There isn't a single Express route that runs the density of a UPS route

Real world scenario, a few years outdated, but still close:
At UPS 3 Routes(one loop) Downtown/ruralish/mountain is close to 300stops(180/70/50)
At Fedex in the same whole area(express runs 55 stops one truck)(Ground 120ish just businesses)(HD 40-50 just resi)
I guess I'm just thinking since Ground is doing so well for FedEx and the fact that they aren't even company employees, I'd think FedEx would be making huge money compared to UPS who pay a lot of drivers $35-$40/hr. Here you have UPS that pays their drivers anywhere from 50% to 100% more than FedEx and yet they (UPS) is still more profitable.

SmithBarney

I guess I'm just thinking since Ground is doing so well for FedEx and the fact that they aren't even company employees, I'd think FedEx would be making huge money compared to UPS who pay a lot of drivers $35-$40/hr. Here you have UPS that pays their drivers anywhere from 50% to 100% more than FedEx and yet they (UPS) is still more profitable.

Ground is very profitable, because of low overhead

Express just has a high operating cost that keeps overall profitability down.

UPS is profitable because well their system is overall much more (Productive)efficient than FedEx as a whole.

I've been located in several US Express locations, and as a whole they are very unproductive after P1 compared to UPS. They underutilize most routes. about 25% of routes should be off road after P1, while others should be maximized on P2 product. But Express cannot pull that off since they can't seem to keep Part time employees, and when peak comes around they really need the extra bodies on the road.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Ground is very profitable, because of low overhead

Express just has a high operating cost that keeps overall profitability down.

UPS is profitable because well their system is overall much more (Productive)efficient than FedEx as a whole.

The margin on ground packages is ridiculous vs the margin on air packages. Air packages comprise less than 20% of UPS' freight, but nearly half of FedEx freight. Most people have no idea of the staggering overhead that an air operation has.

Oldfart

The margin on ground packages is ridiculous vs the margin on air packages. Air packages comprise less than 20% of UPS' freight, but nearly half of FedEx freight. Most people have no idea of the staggering overhead that an air operation has.
Anyone who works at Express and takes the time to read or listen to the financials that are relayed to us knows the cost of an air operation. I imagine the question was posted by someone who just started working at Express or doesn't even work there. It wasn't that long ago Express was working with 5% margins and with a few years of improvements, margins are very close to what Ground is achieving.

Oldfart

That's fine, but they are nowhere near "very close to what Ground is achieving" and probably never will be.
A few years ago, Express was less than 5 and Ground was over 15. The more money they have thrown at Ground has brought their % down and Express has had the opposite result. Fleet upgrades, more technology and other improvements will have a positive result at Express. I expect Express to keep going up while Ground's expansion will hinder their numbers. Maybe bacha can give his opinion. He is a financial genius and would know.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
A few years ago, Express was less than 5 and Ground was over 15. The more money they have thrown at Ground has brought their % down and Express has had the opposite result. Fleet upgrades, more technology and other improvements will have a positive result at Express. I expect Express to keep going up while Ground's expansion will hinder their numbers.

There's no reason for Ground not to have a significantly higher margin than Express. It should be higher. Express would be lucky to hit 10% for a year and it would take something drastic for them to be able to maintain 10% consistently.

zeev

There's no reason for Ground not to have a significantly higher margin than Express. It should be higher. Express would be lucky to hit 10% for a year and it would take something drastic for them to be able to maintain 10% consistently.
Ground is the future, if you go into the sort facilities all the investment is ground X owns the buildings and they are automated. Express is in leased buildings with old technology