Fired For Not Wearing Seatbelt

rod

Retired 22 years
For the same reason the trucks dont beep when they back up. Then it would be equipment malfunction in case of an accident. This way there is no one to blame except the driver. You made the mistake, not them.

BINGO!!!! It's always the drivers fault:peaceful:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

For the same reason the trucks dont beep when they back up. Then it would be equipment malfunction in case of an accident. This way there is no one to blame except the driver. You made the mistake, not them.

We were told that we don't have backup beepers because we are more alert if we are constantly scanning the area that we are backing in to while blowing the horn every 2-3 seconds. Drivers who know that they have these beepers tend to think that they will take care of them as they back up and may not be as alert to their surroundings.

New Englander

Equipment malfunction or not. Were not supposed to be driving vehicles that do not pass our pretrip.

Your theory doesn't hold any teeth. If that were true could I unplug my back up monitor, back into something and say it must have wiggled loose due to vibration(as they all do)?

No it wouldn't - we are taught to use them in ADDITION to the methods. If your unsure you get out and look.

Cut and dry.

Big Babooba

When the whole seat belt craze started, They used to have buzzers in cars that would go off, really loud, if you didn't fasten your seat belt. Most people we so annoyed, they buckled the seat belts & sat on top of them.
Anybody remember the DOT mandated passenger car seatbelt interlock back in 1974? That lasted for half a model year before it was repealed. Basically you couldn't start your car unless you followed a certain sequence to fasten your belt. One false move and the car wouldn't start. If the car still wouldn't start, there was an override button under the hood.Lots of fun in the rain.:sick: The manufacturers ended up removing them if the owner requested.

broncobros1

:happy2:agree safety first.but not to fire him on first offense.also doesn't the c.m.have anything else better to do than drive around all day.should stay in center get his own work done.

Apparently you don't believe safety first....if the center manager turns a blind eye to that what else would he not see. I don't believe that he was trying to be a jerk...it's the policy and could save his live. If the center manager caught him once, I would be willing to bet that it wasn't the first time. Also, I do believe that his "work" is to insure the safety of his or her employees.....

Apparently you don't believe safety first....if the center manager turns a blind eye to that what else would he not see. I don't believe that he was trying to be a jerk...it's the policy and could save his live. If the center manager caught him once, I would be willing to bet that it wasn't the first time. Also, I do believe that his "work" is to insure the safety of his or her employees.....
The fact is, the center manager is probably already overlooking many things at will, I know that in my center this is true. They overlook what they want and stress what they want. I'm betting that this driver was not the first the center manager saw without the seatbelt on. How many drivers doing this did he overlook before firing this one?

bad company

semi-pro
What's to stpo you from just putting hte seat belt together and leaving it buckled all teh time and sitting on it all day. I also like to start the truck during he winter and leave the heat running while I am setting up my next 20 stops.. How could I do that with your system?

I don't have a good answer so I'm going to take a cheap shot and say that leaving the truck running while you line up your next 20 stops is not apart of the methods.

But in reality, you have a point. I've done it during peak in my "winter"...albeit, most people would probably consider winter in GA a joke.

bad company

semi-pro
Equipment malfunction or not. Were not supposed to be driving vehicles that do not pass our pretrip.

Your theory doesn't hold any teeth. If that were true could I unplug my back up monitor, back into something and say it must have wiggled loose due to vibration(as they all do)?

No it wouldn't - we are taught to use them in ADDITION to the methods. If your unsure you get out and look.

Cut and dry.

That reminds me of a day when my back up monitor went dead on me about 2 hours into the day. I messaged the center about the malfunction and they replied "Jim Casey didn't have a back up monitor when UPS first started, just be extra careful". I was a little upset by that comment, and I replied "They used bikes...I drive a P1200...get a clue". Needless to say, it was a scary day where I was "extra" careful all day, and it made me completely change how and where I parked.

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen

But....But....That's just plain STUPID?

I don't know who said this, but "let's take this to its' logical conclusion"

UPS should then remove the braking system entirely - that way, you can be sure that you are not following someone too close?

Hedley_Lamarr

As far as I'm concerned there is NO excuse for the package car being in motion with the seat belt not being on. I hate to sound like management, but I do not move the car, even if I'm only moving a few feet without my seat belt being on. I'm in the habit of putting the key in with my right hand, while putting the seat belt with my left.

upsgrunt

But....But....That's just plain STUPID?

I don't know who said this, but "let's take this to its' logical conclusion"

UPS should then remove the braking system entirely - that way, you can be sure that you are not following someone too close?

There is plenty more where that came from and when you've been at UPS for a while you will see plenty more!!!

New Englander

I'm sure the backing sonar is just a cost issue at the moment. Is it really needed with a back up monitor? As far as just having the truck beep while it goes in reverse? That's why we are supposed to honk every 3 seconds.

I don't think so.

Crap we all still drive trucks that don't always reset the directionals after turning. When you jump from route to route and truck to truck stuff like that can be a true safety hazard. As it signals false intentions to other drivers!

H

hseofpayne

What's to stpo you from just putting hte seat belt together and leaving it buckled all teh time and sitting on it all day. I also like to start the truck during he winter and leave the heat running while I am setting up my next 20 stops.. How could I do that with your system?
Problem number 1: buckle seat belt and sit on it all day.
Solution: I am almost positive with our current technology that UPS could monitor the number of times seat belt was fastened and unfastened. If you have 100 residential stops and seatbelt not has been fastened somewhere in the ballpark of 100 times(allowing for multiple stops from one parking spot) then you've got some xplainin' to do!
Problem number 2: running car in winter while you sort pkgs in back
Solution: Don't sort pkgs with car running, you may as well ride around w/o a seatbelt on cause you gone get fired for this one too! Any time the pkg car is running, you MUST have seatbelt on.

In conclusion let me just reitterate(sp) what others have already pointed out. You may as well forget trying to beat the system. With the technology of today, you won't win. My suggestion was a way to use technology to our(drivers) advantage.

Hedley_Lamarr

Problem number 1: buckle seat belt and sit on it all day.
Solution: I am almost positive with our current technology that UPS could monitor the number of times seat belt was fastened and unfastened. If you have 100 residential stops and seatbelt not has been fastened somewhere in the ballpark of 100 times(allowing for multiple stops from one parking spot) then you've got some xplainin' to do!
Solution: Don't sort pkgs with car running, you may as well ride around w/o a seatbelt on cause you gone get fired for this one too! Any time the pkg car is running, you MUST have seatbelt on.

In conclusion let me just reitterate(sp) what others have already pointed out. You may as well forget trying to beat the system. With the technology of today, you won't win. My suggestion was a way to use technology to our(drivers) advantage.
Good points, in short I always work like "they" are watching me.

Cementups

Box Monkey

But the rule is, as long as the package car is MOVING your seatbelt must be on. If mmy car is running and I am in it with it in "P" and have the e-brake on, I am still in the right.

Just an FYI, I wasn't using this from my own current view since my load, with EDD, is pretty much loaded stop for stop in my truck so no need to sort anymore.

H

hseofpayne

But the rule is, as long as the package car is MOVING your seatbelt must be on. If mmy car is running and I am in it with it in "P" and have the e-brake on, I am still in the right.

Just an FYI, I wasn't using this from my own current view since my load, with EDD, is pretty much loaded stop for stop in my truck so no need to sort anymore.

I guess it might be OK in an automatic trans, but I have seen guys screw up and drop pkgs that hit gear shift and off goes the car w/ nobody at the wheel. We also have guys who leave car running while they run to houses. One came back from house in time to see his car roll into a fence 100 yards away. I wish I could have seen him chacing that car! I told him he was the only UPS man I knew of who would " fence " a UPS car!

S

speeddemon

Why would you not want to wear your seatbelt? I dont know about you, but my life is worth it.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Mit

Glad you got your job back, you were lucky. Many dont. And for those that died, they never got a second chance.

You keep mentioning that you always wear your belt. I read that in your post at least 5-6 times in this and other posts. But then again, there is at least once that you didnt. And that once will bite you every time. Anytime your truck is in motion, it has to be on.

We had one fired one morning when he pulled it out of the line up 30 feet to do the pretrip. And they made it stick. No warnings, no letters. Working one minute, gone the next. Kinda like dying, but you do get to move on with life.

Take your suspension, learn, and go on.

This is something that breaks down the second after impact that gives you the step by step on why you died because you did not wear the belt.

JUST ONE SECOND
Do you know what happns in the first fatal second after a car going 55 miles per hour hits a solid object?

In the first tenth of a second the front bumper and grill collapse.

The second tenth finds the hood crumbling, rising and striking the windshield as the spinning rear wheels lift from the ground. Simultaneously, the fenders begin wrapping themselves around the solid object and although the car's frame has been halted, the REST OF THE DRIVER'S CAR IS STILL GOING 55 MILES PER HOUR. Instinct caused the driver to stiffen his legs against the crash, and at this time they snap at the knee joint.

During the third tenth of a second, the steering wheel starts to disintegrate and the steering column aims for the driver's chest.

The forth tenth of the second finds two feet of the cars front end wrecked while the rear end still moves at 35 miles per hour, while the driver's body is still traveling at 55 miles per hour.

In the fifth tenth, the driver is impaled on the steering column and blood rushes into his lungs.

The sixth tenth finds the impact built up to the extent that feet are ripped out of tightly laced shoes. The brake pedal brakes off. The car frame buckles in the middle and the drivers head bangs into and through the windshield, ripping off nose and an ear, as the rear wheels, still spinning, fall back to the earth.

In the seventh tenth, hinges rip loose, doors open as the car finally completely stops. The seats break free, striking the driver from behind. BUT HE DOESN'T MIND BECAUSE HE IS ALREADY DEAD, and the last three tenths of the second mean nothing to him.

Now, WON'T you PLEASE buckle your seat belt?
IT takes less time than it does to die!

For a head on, its worse, and anything less than a direct frontal impact, you are thrown out of the car into traffic. Sorry, I would rather take my chances inside.

d