35years

Gravy route
In my area your start times for the next week must be posted by Friday. Meaning if you are forced Monday, it would have to have been posted Friday as a 6th day. They would have had to go in seniority order and offer the "extra work" to all Tue-Sat drivers in seniority order first, then force from the bottom. Lazy managers never do this so higher ups can file for money and not even work. If they had any brain they would have forced everybody and posted it Friday. There is no discipline for missing a day you never knew you had to work by the Friday before. They can threaten discipline but in the end there won't be any. Stay home, rest up. Life sucks bad enough already for anyone that worked Friday and worse if you had to work Sat. It's not like it snowed 2 feet anywhere.
Great explanation. Thank you!

GenericUsername

Yep poor planning as always management

Had a sup today tell me that I needed to call in daily once I was done with my route to see if there was additional work. This was due to a message I received as I was at the clerk desk saying I needed to check on a pod after my route was done (mind you, this is 20 minutes after my route is finished and I'm back in center.) Made the comment that I'll call in when UPS gives me a cell phone to do so. Also told him I'd go check on the pod and started walking to the PC and he caught up to me and told me that I needed to "remember this day so we don't have to talk about it in the future." Whatever the hell that means. Told him to show me in the contract where I need to call the center daily and to stop harassing me. Also said he should've been on top of his work and not talking on his cell phone. Could've sent me a message when I had 30 stops left but nope, talking to whoever is more important. Idiots. Punched out and walked out the door.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Had a sup today tell me that I needed to call in daily once I was done with my route to see if there was additional work. This was due to a message I received as I was at the clerk desk saying I needed to check on a pod after my route was done (mind you, this is 20 minutes after my route is finished and I'm back in center.) Made the comment that I'll call in when UPS gives me a cell phone to do so. Also told him I'd go check on the pod and started walking to the PC and he caught up to me and told me that I needed to "remember this day so we don't have to talk about it in the future." Whatever the hell that means. Told him to show me in the contract where I need to call the center daily and to stop harassing me. Also said he should've been on top of his work and not talking on his cell phone. Could've sent me a message when I had 30 stops left but nope, talking to whoever is more important. Idiots. Punched out and walked out the door.

You are the idiot in this scenario.

How difficult is it to swing by the POD and then send an "Do you need me to help anyone?" message before heading back to the center?

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
don't sweat it.

don't answer phone or text.

it's all on them.

had a supe call me on my birthday after I had a steak and a couple beers. told him about the beers but he did not care ...said "you'll be alright in a couple hours."

I said "NO WAY " then he says he'll have to do run since i was the last person.

told him "sorry , can't do it"

nothing ever happened because he knew it would be his ass if i reported him.

he was dick anyway

GenericUsername

You are the idiot in this scenario.

How difficult is it to swing by the POD and then send an "Do you need me to help anyone?" message before heading back to the center?

The message wasn't sent until I was already back in the center. Also, I don't need to message and ask for more work. 210 in 8 hours is more than enough for anyone. Sorry, but the older guys making 120 stops last 10+ hours is what is wrong with this company.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I thought the reason people were selected for management positions was because they have a special talent for managing difficult situations. A successful manager deserves his additional compensation. So why can't UPS hire some?

They hire qualified people but do not give them the flexibility needed to run their operations.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The message wasn't sent until I was already back in the center. Also, I don't need to message and ask for more work. 210 in 8 hours is more than enough for anyone. Sorry, but the older guys making 120 stops last 10+ hours is what is wrong with this company.

This "older" guy (56) did 180 stops in 8 hours and was sent to closeout a pickup at a local apple orchard.

GenericUsername

Then you're not the problem, are you? We have guys who are making 120 stop 10+ hours every single day and it's frustrating beyond belief to have to go help them after 7 with their last 30 stops. Like wtf have they been doing all day?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
1E96973F-1F75-4C18-A906-BACFE6B3CB8D.gif
Then you're not the problem, are you? We have guys who are making 120 stop 10+ hours every single day and it's frustrating beyond belief to have to go help them after 7 with their last 30 stops. Like wtf have they been doing all day?

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
they may be using proper work and safety methods? getting the BIG picture for pacing for a 35 year career? don't want to have broken down bodies in their retirement like most runner-gunners have?