Forcing Thanksgiving Holiday Work Is The Beginning Of The End

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Yes I am, and i have your "stump" right here.

This is how you see things:

analytical-phonics-letter-blocks_zps82e5e18d.jpg
Darn it! I should have replied a minute or two sooner!

Let's make peace Bubblehead. Maybe the natives will follow suit and we can sit together at the festive holiday table! I don't want to end up like the Indians after Thanksgiving...

BTW- I'm still trying to figure out if you're "two stump-humpers" or if I'm one too.

What the heck is a "stump-humper" anyway?

Sounds like somebody spends more time in the woods than I do, and I didn't think that was even possible.

Happy Thanksgiving to you both.
We argue and throw stones but in the end, we are all union brothers.
We will agree to disagree and call it a day, but we will all work Friday if called upon.
The turkey in my opinion is better when served cold anyways, :beersmiley:

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
That defeatist attitude is what "they" are both banking on.

The company certainly is.

And, there are some lazy Union officials. (not most)

I have no Local leadership.

Being that I know Dave and Sam, I can understand the sentiment.

But hey.... the majority of your Local voted for them.

The only clear exception to work on holidays is the Article 40 language on air work on holidays.

Not in the Central Region.

Labor law will very likely support that premise, but as I'm no "BC attorney"

You're giving it a good shot.

Don't get me wrong..

I enjoy reading your posts. You seem intelligent and well spoken.

But, if I had a nickel for every "locker room lawyer" I've run across....

We argue and throw stones but in the end, we are all union brothers.

And everyone should remember that.

These type of issues, should be aired in the confines of the Local Union hall.

Not in public....

Where the company can see how weak, some are.

-Bug-

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Shouldn't seniority prevail for a compensated day off?

Instead, in my center, senior drivers are scheduled, while lessor seniority drivers are "on-call" in the center?

There is no "on-call" in the Central region. (except for feeders)

With all things being equal.... seniority prevails.

-Bug-

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
There is no "on-call" in the Central region. (except for feeders)

With all things being equal.... seniority prevails.

-Bug-
So, would you not agree then since there is no "on call" for package car drivers in the Central Region, that anybody scheduled as such for the Friday after Thanksgiving is under no obligation to work?

Aren't they entitled to have their schedule for the following week on Friday preceding?

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
So, would you not agree then since there is no "on call" for package car drivers in the Central Region, that anybody scheduled as such for the Friday after Thanksgiving is under no obligation to work?

Aren't they entitled to have their schedule for the following week on Friday preceding?

Section 4

"A full-time seniority employee’s uniform starting time must be scheduled and posted by the end of the shift of their last scheduled work day of the preceding workweek for the following workweek. In areas where the Union and the Employer agree, the start time shall be uniform except where the Employer is able to schedule an earlier start time for the package driver employees on Mondays or days after holidays, when merchandise is available for dispatch. If the Employer switches an employee’s workweek from Monday through Friday, to Tuesday through Saturday, he/she shall be allowed to exercise his/her seniority.

Part-time employee’s start times must be posted by the end of the shift of their last scheduled workday of the preceding work week."

-Bug-

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Section 4

"A full-time seniority employee’s uniform starting time must be scheduled and posted by the end of the shift of their last scheduled work day of the preceding workweek for the following workweek. In areas where the Union and the Employer agree, the start time shall be uniform except where the Employer is able to schedule an earlier start time for the package driver employees on Mondays or days after holidays, when merchandise is available for dispatch. If the Employer switches an employee’s workweek from Monday through Friday, to Tuesday through Saturday, he/she shall be allowed to exercise his/her seniority.

Part-time employee’s start times must be posted by the end of the shift of their last scheduled workday of the preceding work week."

-Bug-

I am aware of the applicable language.
It was your opinion I was interested in in regards to a package car driver's obligation to report on the day after Thanksgiving if they were listed as "on call"?
What about a driver who's center failed to post start times all together for the following week?

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I am aware of the applicable language.
It was your opinion I was interested in in regards to a package car driver's obligation to report on the day after Thanksgiving if they were listed as "on call"?
What about a driver who's center failed to post start times all together for the following week?

There is no "contractual" obligation.

But, Documented proof.... is the key. Not just BS.

Where is your Steward in all this ?

-Bug-

SandBagger

The company certainly is.

And, there are some lazy Union officials. (not most)

Being that I know Dave and Sam, I can understand the sentiment.

But hey.... the majority of your Local voted for them.

Not in the Central Region.

You're giving it a good shot.

Don't get me wrong..

I enjoy reading your posts. You seem intelligent and well spoken.

But, if I had a nickel for every "locker room lawyer" I've run across....

And everyone should remember that.

These type of issues, should be aired in the confines of the Local Union hall.

Not in public....

Where the company can see how weak, some are.

-Bug-

Thanks bug for the left-handed compliment, but you really have no idea what my credentials are or are not. I think you know I'm not a "locker room lawyer" though, and I've seen my share of those too over the years. Maybe even more than you. Maybe.

Thanks to inthegame prompting me to study the language in detail, I agree that Central Region has little wiggle room on this issue, although bubblehead makes the best argument in support of opposition for that group. Instead of rejecting his argument out-of-hand, think about massaging it a little.

Like I pointed out yesterday, true leaders should be looking for any angle they can use in support of negotiated benefits for their co-workers and/or constituents. Any argument to the contrary is a cop-out and an embarassment. Invite the grievance and support it rather than poisoning the well. You don't have to fully support the complaint, but you do have an obligation to hear it and let it run it's course.

I also take issue with your recommendation to air disagreements in private rather than public. For one thing, if you fully agreed with that premise, you wouldn't be on here commenting in the first place.

Surely everyone knows when they join this site that it can and likely is a tool for propaganda utilized by all sides. Only the most naive would miss that probability, and it shouldn't take a saavy reader long to identify the potential propagandists. Certainly I am by now fingered as one, although I only came here in search of answers and ended up trying to offer some options in passing. Rest assured I won't be posting in perpetuity.

Another thing you seem to take for granted is that the company doesn't already know "how weak some are". They cultivate relationships in the workplace for the purpose of gathering information. Even the upsers.com site is a tool to that end. They know precisely who the players are, dissenters and supporters alike. So do union thugs and anyone else with chips on the table.

Air your problems where you choose. It really doesn't matter. At least in public you stand a better likelihood of giving others hope and inspiring them to stand up alongside you. "In the local union hall you're subject to control and domination if that is desired by those controlling the flow of the meeting.

It's not that I wholely disagree with your opinion on the matter, it's just that you seem to be having difficulty thinking outside the box that has been built around you. Use the tools you obviously possess to pull down the walls of that box instead of reinforcing them. The air outside is a lot fresher and more satisfying once you get a whiff or two.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
@BigUnionGuy Stop posting pictures like that.

From our terms of service:

You are responsible for protecting your own privacy and respecting the privacy of others. This means no posting of your own or any other person's full name, photos, email addresses, work or home locations, job titles, phone numbers, addresses, Social Security numbers, or any other personally identifiable or private information. This also means your full name cannot be used as your username or posted anywhere on our site.

Final warning.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
@BigUnionGuy Stop posting pictures like that.

From our terms of service:

You are responsible for protecting your own privacy and respecting the privacy of others. This means no posting of your own or any other person's full name, photos, email addresses, work or home locations, job titles, phone numbers, addresses, Social Security numbers, or any other personally identifiable or private information. This also means your full name cannot be used as your username or posted anywhere on our site.

Final warning.

Your site.... your rules.

Roger that.

-Bug-

dqs95124

At least this year we get time 1/2. I want double time.. It sucks this would have been the first year not on the list. Driving full time 01. Wanted my 4 day weekend. I have a letter box so 8 hrs is nothing on me.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
From: 7 Ways to Get Your Posts Edited or Deletedhttp://www.browncafe.com/community/help/terms#tldr

2. THREATEN or HARASS OTHERS. You are free to add members to your ignore list if they annoy you. You are also free to report them if they have offended you. Threatening or harassing others is not allowed, even if you think they deserve it.

3. BE CREEPY. Protect privacy, everyone's privacy. You wouldn't like it if you discovered that someone else had posted your name, your face, or a pic of your Mom here. That's creepy, don't be creepy.

4. THWART LANGUAGE FILTERS. Using spaces between letters, strange characters or misspellings to get around the language filters to post filtered words is annoying. Your vocabulary is bigger than that. Curse words are not okay. We know you know what that means.

6. CALL SOMEONE A "POOP HEAD". You may be correct about the composition of their head, but don't make disparaging remarks or derogatory comments about other members. Debate the issue; not the person. That means no name calling, okay?

7. TROLLING. What is trolling? Making extreme rude, disparaging or inflammatory comments just to get an emotional response. If you see someone "trolling" please use the report link to alert the moderators/troll catchers.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
There is no "contractual" obligation.

But, Documented proof.... is the key. Not just BS.

Where is your Steward in all this ?

-Bug-

I suppose the steward will attempt to deal with it Monday morning, as the schedules aren't posted until Friday for review before we leave that evening.

Wouldn't the posted start time schedule be the documented proof?