Full-timer has more seniority than any part-timers for picking vacations?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
News to me: apparently since the onset of the 22-3 position, management has been sticking 23-3s into part-timer vacation picking list. Here's the kicker: they've been giving the full-timers seniority over ANY and ALL part-timers. There is nothing in the contract that allows for it. I'm looking at the Master Agreement and the New England Supplement. Anyone have any insight into this? How the hell do they get away with this?
Because UPS cannot have proper staffing if there are separate lists. 22.3 FT has outgrown part-time, at least in the hub. Because of this, the two lists clash. That is what I have seen locally.

I could be wrong or not fully correct, but this is a really good guess if you work in a large hub

Method$

22.3= 2 p/t jobs to make one full time. So.. if 22.3 has seniority on one shift but not another does 22.3 take 1/2 vacation??? No.

That’s why here we bid 22.3 vacations separate from the p/t they work with.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Is there some sort of seniority list for the 22.3 and part timers? Are they separate or all on the same list? Vacations are picked based off of some type of seniority list as far as I know.

22.3s here pick off their own list, as it should be.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Just because the contract doesn't allow for it doesn't mean it prohibits it. If it doesn't address the issue, it's a situation where past practices comes into play. You can talk to your BA about trying to get the issue addressed in negotiations, but you would need to have a decent sized group of pters to back you up.

PT Car Washer

Tried that with me a couple of times. The Union shot it down. Two separate list and if it causes staffing issues, that is on management to fix.

Sweeper

Where’s the broom?
I’m in New England 22.3 jobs are all higher seniority employees, bottom guy has over 15 years, and all pick off the full time vacation lists in each building with the package drivers. I’m of the opinion that they should have a separate list. Drives me nuts that they use part time employees to cover their vacations. They also use part timers to cover 22.2 vacations in my local.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I’m in New England 22.3 jobs are all higher seniority employees, bottom guy has over 15 years, and all pick off the full time vacation lists in each building with the package drivers. I’m of the opinion that they should have a separate list. Drives me nuts that they use part time employees to cover their vacations. They also use part timers to cover 22.2 vacations in my local.
I'm in NE and that is not how it works. 22.3 picks from the FT preload/hub/air lists But never mixed with package car drivers, and I have worked most every 22.3 job available.

barnyard

KTM rider
It's like that here. Full-time Trumps part time.

That is the way it is in my building also. The 22.3 jobs are all combo jobs, their schedules are posted with the PT schedules and they pick 1st for vacations. In my building, 22.3 schedules are covered by PT people when the 22.3 people are on vacation.