Getting in Better Shape as a Driver

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I've recently decided to start eating healthier and working out some. Mainly upper body exercises and running to increase overall endurance. To all who workout regularly or just stay in good shape, what's your regimen and how do you work around your 9-10 hour day as driver? Small lunch/big lunch? Protein bars? Supplements?

It just seems like I've already stretched my time thin as it is working till 7-8 every night. I'm wondering how some of you manage your fitness around your job.
When I was in package I worked out before work, usually got up around 0430 and ran for 45-60 minutes then lifted weights for another 30-40 minutes. I do the same thing in feeders but I work nights so I don't get up til 1230 or so.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I've recently laid off running as it was bothering my back from pounding the pavement. I usually get on the elliptical 3-4 times a week for about an hour after work at the gym. Burn around 800-900 calories and feel great afterwards. I was doing spin class in the mornings but when it get hot outside, the day is rough.

Poop Head

Judge me.
Never thought about pull-ups on the job. Surely there's a spot on the truck. Inside the passenger door or inside the bulkhead door maybe?
It's a pita. You can use the shelves for pullup variations and dips. Although they are a bit wide, puts alot of load on shoulders, not recommended for beginners

Cementups

Box Monkey
Back when I actually used to work out I would get up about 6:30, take a crap and go for a 3-5 mile run 4 or 5 days a week. And grilled chicken salad for lunch with o/v dressing.

Indecisi0n

I'm up every morning during the week by 5:45 to go the gym for about an hour. (I could never find the initiative to do it after working all day.) All weight training; I figure I get enough cardio at work from power walking several miles worth every day. I also eat lightly during the day or else I'd get sick (oatmeal, beef jerky, etc). But I still slip in a juicy burger or whole pizza for dinner a few nights a week. Though even then I probably don't take in enough calories for what I'm burning off if I wanted to bulk up more. The result is a slender and compact yet shredded, vascular physique that I just can't help showing off.
Want to hang out some time?

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
Just be a Runner-Gunner

Never seen a fat one

We had one. Retired as a clerk about a year ago. Drove from early 80's til about 2012. He was every bit of 275 lbs.

I remember being sent to help him during peak probably 10-12 years ago. No way it was above 25 degrees outside. I pull into an apartment complex, his truck is there running with bulkhead open and here he comes out of a building, full-on sprint, no jacket or hat, just dripping with sweat. I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

oldupsman

I've recently decided to start eating healthier and working out some. Mainly upper body exercises and running to increase overall endurance. To all who workout regularly or just stay in good shape, what's your regimen and how do you work around your 9-10 hour day as driver? Small lunch/big lunch? Protein bars? Supplements?

It just seems like I've already stretched my time thin as it is working till 7-8 every night. I'm wondering how some of you manage your fitness around your job.

Biggest thing for me was what time of day I ate, not only what I ate. Always had a huge breakfast in the
morning. I would actually eat whatever my wife had cooked for herself for dinner the night before.
Spaghetti, stuffed pork chops, chicken breast, meatloaf, didn't matter. I could eat anything first thing
in the morning. Then always had a big lunch about 2:00. Never ate when I got home which was usually about 8.
Maybe an apple just to take off the edge. Those late night dinners are a killer.

LeadBelly

Banned

Here is an analogy or parable. Just like Jesus is the church, you are the gym. You can always drop down anywhere and rip off push ups. YOU can incline, decline, change how far your hands at together, or go slow as to achieve the perfect push up.

DriverNerd

just watch what you eat (no fast food or convenience store trash), eat protein, hydrate, and move at a brisk pace all day

This. I bring my own lunch. No fast food. I pack a protein bar, meal replacement bar (high protein) or turkey (or any lean meat) sandwich, raisins, string cheese, couple waters and 1 Gatorade. Certainly not all of that is healthy, but you gotta cheat a little to keep some sanity. Refill the waters throughout the day. Eat throughout the day, not all at once. Don't eat more than you need. I also run on the weekends. And I work almost 60 hours a week, in my mid 30's and have kids. I don't know many people that honestly "just don't have time to workout". I use work as my main workout. I carry as often as I can (as opposed to carting) for the workout aspect of it, but don't ever be stupid and lift more than you can, as that can lead to an injury. And always use proper lifting techniques.

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs
I'm up every morning during the week by 5:45 to go the gym for about an hour. (I could never find the initiative to do it after working all day.) All weight training; I figure I get enough cardio at work from power walking several miles worth every day. I also eat lightly during the day or else I'd get sick (oatmeal, beef jerky, etc). But I still slip in a juicy burger or whole pizza for dinner a few nights a week. Though even then I probably don't take in enough calories for what I'm burning off if I wanted to bulk up more. The result is a slender and compact yet shredded, vascular physique that I just can't help showing off.

You mean you're not built like Miku?