Government shut DOWN

vantexan

Also two Tea Party talking points. I'm individually accountable for standing up to tyrants like Smith and calling-out TP Bozos, AND personally responsible for making sure that more of the skinflint Fred's money ends up in my pocket instead of his. And, yes, I would have shaken Castro's hand too.

Yeah, the leader of the free world shaking hands with a guy responsible for imprisoning and torturing untold thousands of political prisoners. But then, what can you expect when he's getting in on a selfie at a memorial to Nelson Mandela?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Yeah, the leader of the free world shaking hands with a guy responsible for imprisoning and torturing untold thousands of political prisoners. But then, what can you expect when he's getting in on a selfie at a memorial to Nelson Mandela?

Cuba is a zero in terms of threat potential. I think you and the Cuban exiles need to take a reality pill and allow normalization of relations with Cuba.

vantexan

Cuba is a zero in terms of threat potential. I think you and the Cuban exiles need to take a reality pill and allow normalization of relations with Cuba.

When the Cuban people can vote in legitimate democratic elections we should normalize relations.

Marne Vet

It's Politics, not Personal. Donald Rumsfeld shook hands with Saddam Hussein. Administrations keep their Allies close, and their enemies closer. There was a time this country trained Bin Laden for a purpose. Don't take a little handshake so seriously. Worse has happened.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
I wasn't in the least bit phased by the handshake at all

It was the passionate kissing and groping underneath the stairwell a few minutes later that made me feel just a bit uneasy

vantexan

It's Politics, not Personal. Donald Rumsfeld shook hands with Saddam Hussein. Administrations keep their Allies close, and their enemies closer. There was a time this country trained Bin Laden for a purpose. Don't take a little handshake so seriously. Worse has happened.

The difference is the U.S. played nice with Hussein and Bin Ladin because they had bigger regional concerns at the time in Iran and the Soviet Union. Cuba on the other hand was a Communist regime right outside our border that had supported other communist movements in Nicaragua, Angola, and elsewhere. And had tried to get missiles that would've been aimed at us. It's not just a matter of we just don't like their politics. They might not be the threat they once were, but tell that to their own people. It's a repressive regime, pure and simple, and the President needs to send a clear message that it's not acceptable what they do there. It's time they recognize, just as Russia and China have to varying degrees, that extreme state control doesn't work. That is a principle worth standing up for, no matter the century.

Marne Vet

The difference is the U.S. played nice with Hussein and Bin Ladin because they had bigger regional concerns at the time in Iran and the Soviet Union. Cuba on the other hand was a Communist regime right outside our border that had supported other communist movements in Nicaragua, Angola, and elsewhere. And had tried to get missiles that would've been aimed at us. It's not just a matter of we just don't like their politics. They might not be the threat they once were, but tell that to their own people. It's a repressive regime, pure and simple, and the President needs to send a clear message that it's not acceptable what they do there. It's time they recognize, just as Russia and China have to varying degrees, that extreme state control doesn't work. That is a principle worth standing up for, no matter the century.

I agree with you 100%, but they might have unknown plans for using Cuba in the future, so who knows why they're playing nice with such an a-hole there.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Maybe their waiting for the a-hole to die so that they can improve relations with whomever takes over.

Funny how Communism is OK if it benefits US companies. You know, the ones that produce their stuff in communist China and Vietnam because there are almost no environmental or labor protection laws, no unions, and very low wages. AND...no benefits either!! Yes, Communism is good, but only if Republicans can make a buck off of it. So far, they can't make money in Cuba like they did back in the days of imperialism, so Cuba is "Bad Communism". Oh, and vantexan, please tell us all about human rights in China, OK? Where's the outrage?

vantexan

Funny how Communism is OK if it benefits US companies. You know, the ones that produce their stuff in communist China and Vietnam because there are almost no environmental or labor protection laws, no unions, and very low wages. AND...no benefits either!! Yes, Communism is good, but only if Republicans can make a buck off of it. So far, they can't make money in Cuba like they did back in the days of imperialism, so Cuba is "Bad Communism". Oh, and vantexan, please tell us all about human rights in China, OK? Where's the outrage?

The difference is China is quickly opening up, recognizing that they have to allow capitalism in order to improve their people's lives. It's constructive engagement started by Nixon. Cuba on the other hand is run by hard line communists who refuse to relinquish any control over their citizens' lives. Are the Chinese bosses angels? Of course not, but you seem to think we have the right to dictate to them. It's the people of China who'll have the final say, not us. The Chinese are recovering from the effect of decades of hard line communism. Capitalism has greatly improved the lives of hundreds of millions there. You talk about Bush this, Bush that, everything's Bush's fault. Imagine a system that impoverished most of the population for decades, then tell me how YOU would turn China around, especially without a massive civil war.