john chesney

So all the seasonal workers get these huge weekly bonuses, must be there every day and on time, so at the end of peak they are looking at an extra $950 or so. Sups say that’s not us it’s the union! My mind I’d boggled! Another one, well they loose seniority and they’re not guaranteed a job, bla bla..well guess what, none of the seasonals at my hub are being let go!! No one is loosing seniority, yet they made a hella more than i did. Can i file a grievance against the union or should i start with going corporate for answers? I don’t mean to ramble but I’m super :censored2:! I started as a seasonal in 2014 and i got no bonuses and still lost seniority.
I would file a grievance to have my seniority adjusted like the new hires.In my opinion they would have to adjust yours or change the new hires.

john chesney

If it makes you feel any better, if the seasonals are being kept in it means they are being hired as permanent employees. Their bonuses will stop, and then they can file a grievance because you are making more AND getting benefits that they will not get for a year.

Neither grievance will get very far though...
They can file all the grievances they want but pay and benefits are clearly defined in contact

polyp

Local 104 isn’t the only local to do this either....

Last I heard from our BA, the case our local was following was in arbitration. This was a few months ago, and haven't heard anything else so I assume it didn't end well...

This was for new hire PT workers getting bonuses that lasted after hitting senority, not temp seasonals.

edit: come to think of that, I may be remembering the case about the temperary full time positions they added to minimize doubleshifters this summer. Not sure... it's been a while on both. :huh:

Last edited:

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Last I heard from our BA, the case our local was following was in arbitration. This was a few months ago, and haven't heard anything else so I assume it didn't end well...

This was for new hire PT workers getting bonuses that lasted after hitting senority, not temp seasonals.

edit: come to think of that, I may be remembering the case about the temperary full time positions they added to minimize doubleshifters this summer. Not sure... it's been a while on both. :huh:
You would think ups would start catching a clue that workers can go to target or Kroeger, or Safeway, or even a server at a busy establishment and make more than they would at ups.... I know ups has decent benefits for pters but target and Kroeger and others are stepping up to get people to come in... time for ups to do the same thing... you give people bonuses and they are going to work long enough to get it and bounce, if they even make it that long

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
They can file all the grievances they want but pay and benefits are clearly defined in contact

And this defined pay in the contract is the minimum UPS has to pay. That's all it says.

If they paid bonuses to union and non union employees, and paid a higher bonus to non union employees, that may be an NLRB issue.

But to pay a retention, or show up, bonus to seasonals, and not pay a bonus to existing union employees, is a much different issue.

The odds of winning a grievance on this is less than the odds of hitting the lotto.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Local 104 filed NLRB charges on this bonus scheme two months ago. We feel we have a very strong case. I would ask your Steward to file an "all affected" Grievance.

The Union does not "allow" the Company to do anything. The Company acts, we react. Anytime Management claims the Union signed off on something you should treat that with extreme skepticism.

Higher Bonuses for Nonunion Employees an Unfair Labor Practice
Good luck. The contract covers minimum compensation for everyone.

They keep saying the seasonal are gone and there's nobody working who's not qualifying. It's a blatant lie. They'd never keep all these people. I know they're gonna be gone Jan 15. Management is using them for helpers over seniority. Management is still working them in some pay classifications. Grievances are filed or are being filed. Management is still working. It's a disaster.

Brown echo

If u are not alive than for sure truth is not real
So all the seasonal workers get these huge weekly bonuses, must be there every day and on time, so at the end of peak they are looking at an extra $950 or so. Sups say that’s not us it’s the union! My mind I’d boggled! Another one, well they loose seniority and they’re not guaranteed a job, bla bla..well guess what, none of the seasonals at my hub are being let go!! No one is loosing seniority, yet they made a hella more than i did. Can i file a grievance against the union or should i start with going corporate for answers? I don’t mean to ramble but I’m super :censored2:! I started as a seasonal in 2014 and i got no bonuses and still lost seniority.
giphy.gif
,,,,,,let ups know that you deserve a refund ,but ''oh you look great !! with the huge peak work out !! just remember any side effects the UNION is not responsible!!

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
In the 177 area, the company wasted a ton of money bussing helpers in to work and paying bonuses. They had to because no one was signing up due to the low wages they were paying!

They could have saved so much by just paying more from the start.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
In the 177 area, the company wasted a ton of money bussing helpers in to work and paying bonuses. They had to because no one was signing up due to the low wages they were paying!

They could have saved so much by just paying more from the start.

That would make sense.

Remember the people we are dealing with, UPS management.

The same CEO that peak seemed to come as a shocker to him.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Interesting, because @Monkey Butt has said that he is a very smart man....cream of the crop.....

I don't know about @Monkey Butt, but I will admit that there are some very smart managers out there.

The problem is that they don't use their "smarts." They are not allowed to use their "smarts." They are told what to do, when to do it, how many routes to run, when to take a piss, etc.

It's the dumb ones that are in charge, and the smart ones play follow the leader.

Nike

Local 104 filed NLRB charges on this bonus scheme two months ago. We feel we have a very strong case. I would ask your Steward to file an "all affected" Grievance.

The Union does not "allow" the Company to do anything. The Company acts, we react. Anytime Management claims the Union signed off on something you should treat that with extreme skepticism.

Higher Bonuses for Nonunion Employees an Unfair Labor Practice
I really hope yall win this one, what kind of assbackwards company rewards temporary and seasonal people with bonuses but not its long standing employees and coworkers.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I really hope yall win this one, what kind of assbackwards company rewards temporary and seasonal people with bonuses but not its long standing employees and coworkers.

It was the only way this bassackward company could get these temps and seasonal to show up.

Rock0

I searched the forum to see if someone had a similar issue to mine and I didn't come across any, my situation is a bit unique and seeing if I should file grievance and more importantly, what good could come out of it. I was a RTD driver for seasonal , I mostly just shuttled and delivered air... I only did ground about 4 days throughout the holiday season. One guy in front of me did ground daily and qualified. He claimed he had more seniority over me and one of the supervisors confirmed this. The list just went up for FT drivers and I find out that I have seniority over him. I understand that this is partly my fault for not being aware of this... we have the same hire date & all.... he just lied to me and I took his word after a sup thought the same thing... I dropped the ball there. Now, I will be hired FT and have a lower pay-rate then him since I didn't qualify (not given the chance) and also lost out on much income throughout the holiday. So, my questions are 1) Can I file a grievance? 2)Should I file one? 3) What good could come out of it? 4) Couldn't this hurt me when it comes to qualifying if I piss off the supervisors?