UPSjedi41

Turn by turn directions you say?

Sounds like someone is preparing for a large-scale work stoppage.

We had the Samsung smart phones as "helper boards" for peak. It had a Google like map with every house marked that was for delivery. They had us test it, I believe, for the sole purpose of it being a future strike stopper. It was convenient only when you had to help someone in an unfamiliar area and they just gave you the phone.

JL 0513

To the original point, dropping RDO. A fundamental change in the whole system would have to take place, and I don't see that happening for a long time.

Right now, Orion order is calculated after driver start time. Often times, we're wrapped and ready to go and someone still hasn't hit the release button further wasting money. The final dispatch for every route isn't finalized until close to driver start time because last minute add/cuts are still being processed.

For cars to be loaded in ODO, the final dispatch for EVERY route would need to be determined in the middle of the night before preload starts. Does anyone think that could happen?

When one too many guys call out at 8am and one route needs eliminating and thus a bunch of add/cuts, what happens? That changes all corresponding Orion solutions. So how can that solution be made before preload starts?

RDO is here to stay.

BlackCat

We had the Samsung smart phones as "helper boards" for peak. It had a Google like map with every house marked that was for delivery. They had us test it, I believe, for the sole purpose of it being a future strike stopper. It was convenient only when you had to help someone in an unfamiliar area and they just gave you the phone.

My personal opinion is that we eventually will be using those phones in the near future.

I have zero knowledge on the cost of a diad, but I would assume it is probably triple the price of a phone.

With phones having at least 5X the processing power of a diad, you could easily add more advanced features with a simple firmware upgrade.

Johney

My personal opinion is that we eventually will be using those phones in the near future.

I have zero knowledge on the cost of a diad, but I would assume it is probably triple the price of a phone.

With phones having at least 5X the processing power of a diad, you could easily add more advanced features with a simple firmware upgrade.
That phone looked far less durable than any DIAD.

WorknLateHuh

When one too many guys call out at 8am and one route needs eliminating and thus a bunch of add/cuts, what happens? That changes all corresponding Orion solutions. So how can that solution be made before preload starts?

RDO is here to stay.

This will be solved by UPS doing time-travel studies. And you thought Orion was expensive...

542thruNthru

the package cars will have charging slots for the DIAD to sit and face you

it's just directional arrows with the street names i believe, think google maps with just the direction steps, no actual map or voice

So we are told over and over again no in cab distractions and not to look at our diad while driving or idling. Yet now you are saying they want us to constantly look at it during the day?

Hmmm sound like an amazing idea. I'm going to start a betting pool at work when it comes. Date of first crash and fatality. My moneys on 31 days.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
no, they just really really really want you to follow ORION because they genuinely believe it works perfectly

also retirements out the wazoo

the package cars will have charging slots for the DIAD to sit and face you

it's just directional arrows with the street names i believe, think google maps with just the direction steps, no actual map or voice
That will come in handy on our rr4 box 1647 routes

Johney

So we are told over and over again no in cab distractions and not to look at our diad while driving or idling. Yet now you are saying they want us to constantly look at it during the day?

Hmmm sound like an amazing idea. I'm going to start a betting pool at work when it comes. Date of first crash and fatality. My moneys on 31 days.
They will likely tell you to memorize it, kinda like knowing your next 5 stops.

Johney

I heard two drivers talking at my center, they mentioned a mechanic heard the new PCs have screens in the dash, I assume for this reason. They also heard of heated seats though.
We have very new pc's in our building and the only screen on the dash is the back up camera.

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
I heard two drivers talking at my center, they mentioned a mechanic heard the new PCs have screens in the dash, I assume for this reason. They also heard of heated seats though.
Some of our new PCs do have the dash monitor, but no heated seat. It's weird, because you get used to looking up at the monitor.

E

el blanco

Our center mgmt team hasn't said a word about Orion in at least a year and a half.

As far as loading by Orion, I could see it working on heavy business routes or heavy residential routes, but one unforcasted package can drastically change the Orion trace of a rural route.

one day my first stop, a business, became my last stop, well after closing time, when 1 EAM was added to the orion solution

Last edited by a moderator:
E

el blanco

the heated seats will only energize between June and August, and they can't be shut off

Last edited by a moderator:

Star B

White Lightening
For cars to be loaded in ODO, the final dispatch for EVERY route would need to be determined in the middle of the night before preload starts. Does anyone think that could happen?
Ours system (ROADS) runs at 5am for our station. I don't know when FXG processes their vision but IIRC they see it the night before.

Add/cuts are just done manually. Works well enough.