How does the company recover from massive stop rolling?

Utility81

Yup. My last year in package, 25 year driver i was friendly with says I think I might come in Saturday for the first time ever at peak, so I can get out of here on Monday. Told him do not do it. You will just get someone else’s work on Monday. Oh nah, they told me they wont do that. Tuesday morning we walk in together and he says you were right. They completely screwed me. I had 85 stops from another route. Punched out at 10:30. It’s amazing people still fall for their BS.
The people that aren’t showing up on Saturday)10 percent of our center are threatened with occurrences). Do they actually get them? I don’t know. Got 2 Saturday’s in so far and each following Monday I had 7 hour days and was paid 8(not a runner). I’m in a metropolitan area with 30 scheduled pickups daily so I’m sure that factors into it. I know it’s probably different for people with extended routes. If they want to pay me $56 an hour to piddle around on Saturday getting rid of irregs and whatnot that’s ok with me.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This was the status of my two most recent Amazon orders:

We’re very sorry your delivery is late. Most late packages arrive in a day. If you have not received your package by December 17, you can come back here the next day for a refund or replacement.

Unfortunately, your delivery is running behind schedule. UPS is working to make sure the delay doesn’t affect your final delivery time. Your package can still arrive by today.

(It didn't)

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

img.php

MattM

I don’t use prime. So I don’t know how it works in this regard

but if it’s free shipping, how are refunds given? You can't refund free shipping.

These promises or guarantees never made sense to me.

I always felt free one day shipping was Amazon being able to say they processed and shipped it out within a day. Beyond that, there's no time guarantees on our end, right?

Every day since March we hold back 15-400 packages to be processed later on down the line. I believe they get shuttled and delivered the next day. But are we held to those time promises?

Box Ox

I don’t use prime. So I don’t know how it works in this regard

but if it’s free shipping, how are refunds given? You can't refund free shipping.

The customer doesn’t pay for shipping in the first place and. It’s the item cost and tax that are refunded.

I always felt free one day shipping was Amazon being able to say they processed and shipped it out within a day. Beyond that, there's no time guarantees on our end, right?

In my area, one day means next day delivery. The order is typically processed by a local fulfillment center.

Amazon did their job. You guys dropped the ball.

Most of my Amazon orders are now coming via AMZL. And they’ve really improved since I was here last year saying they’re the worst. This might have something to do with it:

Amazon is delivering half its own packages as it becomes a serious rival to FedEx and UPS

oldngray

nowhere special
The customer doesn’t pay for shipping in the first place and. It’s the item cost and tax that are refunded.

In my area, one day means next day delivery.

Most of my Amazon orders are now coming via AMZL. And they’ve really improved since I was here last year saying they’re the worst. This might have something to do with it:

Amazon is delivering half its own packages as it becomes a serious rival to FedEx and UPS

Amazon tracking of its own delivery service is horrible. They are getting better at making deliveries but still way behind FedEx and UPS.

Box Ox

Amazon tracking of its own delivery service is horrible. They are getting better at making deliveries but still way behind FedEx and UPS.

Not in my recent experience. The order comes from a local center, so there’s really no tracking history. And I get a notification from the Amazon app on my phone when the Amazon driver is 10 stops away. Can follow them all the way in.

After the delivery I can tap a button to say whether it was a good experience or a bad one. Anonymous feedback goes to the driver.

Overpaid Union Thug

In my area, one day means next day delivery. The order is typically processed by a local fulfillment center.

A Prime membership means you are paying for shipping. A standard membership is $12.99/month or $119/year. That means all of the “members” are collectively paying a monthly/yearly flat rate shipping rate that includes access to movies, shows, music, and books. If you rarely utilize those (or not at all) then you are essentially paying for your, and everyone else’s, shipping at a deep discount. If you rarely order from Amazon then you are literally paying for everyone else’s shipments.

That business model, combined with their drivers that essentially do the same job for a fraction of the cost, and the fact that both UPS and FedEx helped Amazon jumpstart that model by providing logistical help and ridiculously deep discounts, and the fact that there are thousands and thousands of Amazon zombies that are too lazy to do a few minutes of research to find a better price somewhere else, is exactly why Amazon is taking over as the biggest delivery company.

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
A Prime membership means you are paying for shipping. A standard membership is $12.99/month or $119/year. That means all of the “members” are collectively paying a monthly/yearly flat rate shipping rate that includes access to movies, shows, music, and books. If you rarely utilize those (or not at all) then you are essentially paying for your, and everyone else’s, shipping at a deep discount. If you rarely order from Amazon then you are literally paying for everyone else’s shipments.

That business model, combined with their drivers that essentially do the same job for a fraction of the cost, and the fact that both UPS and FedEx helped Amazon jumpstart that model by providing logistical help and ridiculously deep discounts, and the fact that there are thousands and thousands of Amazon zombies that are too lazy to do a few minutes of research to find a better price somewhere else, is exactly why Amazon is taking over as the biggest delivery company.
Spot on

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
The company is now using uber to deliver in our district. Must be expensive. Doesn't seem to be stopping the rolling of stops either.

FromOffTheStreets

I've heard Amazon pays UPS $6 per package on average. Its probably much lower than that but that equals a whole 2 packages per month @ the $12.99 prime cost.
Most people are ordering far more than 2 per month & that # will continue to grow.
They are in a bind with the "free shipping" craze but they had to offer free shipping to pull people onto their website instead of heading down the street.
Their only option is to deliver it on their own because they can't afford to pay actual shipping rates.
They will drown physical stores & smaller companies & then their pricing will begin to go up.