How much of UPS's income goes to hourly pay/bennies? 40% 60%?

oldngray

nowhere special
Anybody know what distance forward is needed before backing to avoid a back first exception, anyway? Nobody in management has been able to tell our drivers. Seems like it varies by vehicle.

I have heard a lot of different numbers but think its something like 100 feet.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
It's a joke

First off the whole don't run 100%, that's not what we're asking for. Just run 90% is because they know Orion is garbage. I don't have a calculator to check my numbers on road. It's either run it stop for stop, or do it my way. Which one is it?

Then you run 100% and the next day they either want to know why you backed 75 times, or were over your miles by 20.

Absolute morons
"It's just a tool. Just make smart decisions out there. That's all we are asking."

Me: so which is if make smart decisions. Which has been what I've done for over a decade running routes my way. Or follow Orion?

oldngray

nowhere special
Will keep telling management I have no idea what that back first thing is on the report since I never actually back first and nobody can give me the required forward distance.

Ordinarily you should back first but there will always be times when you have to do otherwise. Drivers shouldn't be more worried about showing up on a report than delivering.

10 Pt

Pretty sure it's a good amount farther than that.
An on car supe told us that it was 90' and the center manager got angry that he told us. He said to do what they told is to do and not worry about the 90'.
By his reaction I presume that the OCS was right.

10 Pt

Ordinarily you should back first but there will always be times when you have to do otherwise. Drivers shouldn't be more worried about showing up on a report than delivering.
If you turn off your truck and go inside a ground level over head door to open it and then back into the building it dings you for an Back First Exception even though you have to back in to deliver and/or pick up. The stop isn't completed until you finish your delivery/pk up but you turned off the vehicle and then backed after it was shut off. Pretty poor integration of our jobs and telematics.

I've approximated driving 30 yards (easier for me to remember) and then backed and turned around and it didn't show up on the report as an exception.

Box Ox

So it sounds like back firsts are between 90' and 500'.

The stop isn't completed until you finish your delivery/pk up but you turned off the vehicle and then backed after it was shut off. Pretty poor integration of our jobs and telematics.

Really? Never gotten dinged without a stop complete.

10 Pt

So it sounds like back firsts are between 90' and 500'.

Really? Never gotten dinged without a stop complete.
They said anything over 90' is good.
They showed me the paper at xyz address two times where the bk first exceptions occurred.
It took two to three times for them to get it.
Duh.

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
Anybody know what distance forward is needed before backing to avoid a back first exception, anyway? Nobody in management has been able to tell our drivers. Seems like it varies by vehicle.

Who the @!@#$ cares! If some idiot asks you that from a report get in their face and ask them if they would prefer you hit the car/truck/object that you had to back to avoid hitting!!! I am sick and tired of non-professional drivers asking a professional driver why they did something the day before, 2 days before or even a week before.
Grow a set of balls, tell a steward to stand right behind you and answer every question with a question when they pull out some BS report and ask you questions!
THE SECOND THEY ASK YOU A QUESTION, PUT THAT AS YOUR START TIME! IT DOES NOT MATTER WHAT YOUR "OFFICIAL START TIME" is. I sit and watch all the rookies get ambushed by on-cars 30 mins before the first PCM. Stand up for yourself and you will mysteriously find the unimportant crap stops!