How to Properly Leave Union?

upsperson

Again, just frustrated as a part timer, full timers should be union. But I'm glad that you guys can at least joke with me when I'm mad. My anger isn't really directed at anyone imparticular, just the idea of the union supporting things that disadvantage me, and giving the advantage to people less skilled.

I could be mistaken but I think unions and similar used to be more valuable to people because the idea was with more time, you get more skilled, you become more valuable, they pay you more. Now it seems it's just hours on the clock means more pay, incompetency means less work. You all know if you deliver too fast, they'll load you up with additional work from the guys who don't work, hey meet up with xx and take 20-30 stops from them. It's the same for me, but if I try to work more they'll even cut my rate down. But the union supports that, which is what this thread is about. Why do I want to give them money again? To add I'm literally considering going full time at ups despite my engineering degree, and on going education I think it's a great opportunity.

Again, just frustrated as a part timer, full timers should be union. But I'm glad that you guys can at least joke with me when I'm mad. My anger isn't really directed at anyone imparticular, just the idea of the union supporting things that disadvantage me, and giving the advantage to people less skilled.

I could be mistaken but I think unions and similar used to be more valuable to people because the idea was with more time, you get more skilled, you become more valuable, they pay you more. Now it seems it's just hours on the clock means more pay, incompetency means less work. You all know if you deliver too fast, they'll load you up with additional work from the guys who don't work, hey meet up with xx and take 20-30 stops from them. It's the same for me, but if I try to work more they'll even cut my rate down. But the union supports that, which is what this thread is about. Why do I want to give them money again?
The healthcare and retirement
No part-time job on this planet gives a pension plan
Maybe when you're young you don't realize how much she's benefits are worth but one day you will

upsperson

The healthcare and retirement
No part-time job on this planet gives a pension plan
Maybe when you're young you don't realize how much she's benefits are worth but one day you will
I'm mid 20s I provide my health insurance not my parents. Your completely right tho, I know of no part time place that gives the health insurance, and tuition assistance like ups, which is why I've been here for years. Why I'd consider going full time with my degree and ongoing education. Ups/the union takes care of full time workers very well I think. I do totally understand people pay thousands for worse insurance my dad is gs-14 and when he pays for the top federal insurance it's still worse than part time ups which seems wild to me.

Part of why I still do pay into the union, I can be mad at drivers, mad at the union and still pay my dues.

I'm mid 20s I provide my health insurance not my parents. Your completely right tho, I know of no part time place that gives the health insurance, and tuition assistance like ups, which is why I've been here for years. Why I'd consider going full time with my degree and ongoing education. Ups/the union takes care of full time workers very well I think.
The part-timers also get a nice pension

upsperson

The part-timers also get a nice pension
If I stay for 25 years part time but that's the least sensible thing I've heard of. Go full time or take advantage of the tuition assistance/or both are the directions of ups that makes sense. Full time ups with the benefits, pay, hours and likely union support, makes full time a great great option, or you take advantage of the tuition assistance and try to leave, but even in the leave is better thought process, I like the job. I like the work. I don't like my office job.

If I stay for 25 years part time but that's the least sensible thing I've heard of. Go full time or take advantage of the tuition assistance/or both are the directions of ups that makes sense. Full time ups with the benefits, pay, hours and likely union support, makes full time a great great option, or you take advantage of.the tuition assistance and try to leave, but even in the leave is better thought process, I like the job. I like the work. I don't like my office job.
Once you put your time in my paid time off is worth over $17,000 right now

The paid medical is worth more than you're making a yeah right now
And you throw the pension in on top of it
It's a boatload of cash

upsperson

Once you put your time in my paid time off is worth over $17,000 right now

The paid medical is worth more than you're making a yeah right now
And you throw the pension in on top of it
It's a boatload of cash
I fell off my bike 2 months ago for medical bills more than my annual income, a surprising number of broken bones and head trauma, 2 weeks later I was in a car crash (not at fault dude ran a stop sign right as I was leaving preload). I promise I understand the value of the medical insurance when I paid 0 out of pocket for north of 2 years worth of income in medical bills in 2 months.

Ups pays that regardless, they still need someone to driver help, but since I already work for them they have to pay my insurance. So they are electing to say an outside person, who didn't load the truck, has never loaded or delivered, that's the person who deserves 30% more pay than me. When the route I typically help on, I load, I know the addresses, I could pick out more names and tell you the address they are at more than any other preloader, that means we should have an outside helpers that makes 30% more than me.

I'm not a driver, I don't want driver pay, I'm literally just asking to be paid similar to a new hire. But many seem to think I'm asking too much. After 3 years, I probably deserve new hire pay no?

wilberforce15

I don't have words to even respond to you

They don't need it now but everyone cannot work forever
That benefit is huge and most of the workforce does not have that option
You don't have to have words. We have giant turnover because both the union and UPS want very high turnover.
The union gets a cycle of new dues and other things, and the company keeps fresh, young backs that can be overworked for 2-9 months before they get benefits.

Everybody wins. Except the employee.
But single, young, healthy people do not need benefits, and most people do not stay to use the benefits they have.
I have milked UPS for half a million bucks in medical care for me and dependents. I'd show up to work for 0/hr. It's worth that much to me.

But not to most people. Deal with that. It is a fact.

I fell off my bike 2 months ago for medical bills more than my annual income, a surprising number of broken bones and head trauma, 2 weeks later I was in a car crash (not at fault dude ran a stop sign right as I was leaving preload). I promise I understand the value of the medical insurance when I paid 0 out of pocket for north of 2 years worth of income in medical bills in 2 months.

Ups pays that regardless, they still need someone to driver help, but since I already work for them they have to pay my insurance. So they are electing to say an outside person, who didn't load the truck, has never loaded or delivered, that's the person who deserves 30% more pay than me. When the route I typically help on, I load, I know the addresses, I could pick out more names and tell you the address they are at more than any other preloader, that means we should have an outside helpers that makes 30% more than me.

I'm not a driver, I don't want driver pay, I'm literally just asking to be paid similar to a new hire. But many seem to think I'm asking too much. After 3 years, I probably deserve new hire pay no?
Life isn't always Fair

You don't have to have words. We have giant turnover because both the union and UPS want very high turnover.
The union gets a cycle of new dues and other things, and the company keeps fresh, young backs that can be overworked for 2-9 months before they get benefits.

Everybody wins. Except the employee.
But single, young, healthy people do not need benefits, and most people do not stay to use the benefits they have.
I have milked UPS for half a million bucks in medical care for me and dependents. I'd show up to work for 0/hr. It's worth that much to me.

But not to most people. Deal with that. It is a fact.
I can't help you

Nor can help the rest of it crypto millionaires

upsperson

Life isn't always Fair
Nor is the expectation I'll finance your stupid union, but you seem to expect I'll subsidize you. Which is the whole point of this thread. I'm leaving the union. I don't care, if go full time, which honestly I think I'd like to I'd start paying in again but part time nah, that's your problem, I'll just start screwing up every truck I'm asked to help with after already doing more work than everyone else. Intentional misloads and you guys can't see your kids, it's a win win.

wilberforce15

I can't help you

Nor can help the rest of it crypto millionaires
You don't need to help me.
And the young guys don't need or want your benefits, and you can yell at them that it's valuable all you want.

It is not valuable to them, and that's why they leave. So stop trying to convince them. They don't need the benefits. It doesn't keep them around.

wilberforce15

"Hey kid, I know you're on your parents insurance for the next 5 years and you already don't pay anything, but if you work for 5 more years you might maybe want to see a doctor some time for free. I know you already get free care, but this would be different. And still free. Don't you want to work here?"
lol.

Stupid boomers.

Nor is the expectation I'll finance your stupid union, but you seem to expect I'll subsidize you. Which is the whole point of this thread. I'm leaving the union. I don't care, if go full time, which honestly I think I'd like to I'd start paying in again but part time nah, that's your problem, I'll just start screwing up every truck I'm asked to help with after already doing more work than everyone else. Intentional misloads and you guys can't see your kids, it's a win win.
You don't get the bonus for being the best here
I'm coming to your job the best of your building you get the rewards if you go overboard

Just take pride in your craftsmanship that's all you can do

You don't need to help me.
And the young guys don't need or want your benefits, and you can yell at them that it's valuable all you want.

It is not valuable to them, and that's why they leave. So stop trying to convince them. They don't need the benefits. It doesn't keep them around.
Sorry I can't fix stupid because people were short sited

Attention healthcare is worth a little bit more than a new Xbox right now

upsperson

"Hey kid, I know you're on your parents insurance for the next 5 years and you already don't pay anything, but if you work for 5 more years you might maybe want to see a doctor some time for free. I know you already get free care, but this would be different. And still free. Don't you want to work here?"
lol.

Stupid boomers.
Who do you think is on their parents insurance at ups? I know critical thinking isn't a strong point of many ups employees, but I'm sure you'll have an answer.