How to Properly Leave Union?

upsperson

Maybe the union is discovering that giving people Walmart wages and no benefits for 9 months makes people less than enthusiastic about joining the union.
I used to work in a local that paid time and a half to part timers working 6 punch, mine now doesn't do so. We are only entitled to double time if we 7 punch. I don't understand why I'd pay into a union that doesn't support me. I still do but honestly the guys with 30+ years part time in my building don't because they hate how the union doesn't give a :censored2: about them. If the long timers don't pay in and hate the union if they are part time, why at ~3 years with a company that pays new employees 30% more than me should I pay the union when they agree its okay to pay new people more than others? Coworker said his math puts him at saving ~13k over his career not paying into the union and the steward is definitely pro management compared to the 6 different buildings I've worked at, seems like 13k saved to me, doing additional math about compound interest over 30+years and all the sudden 13k is minor.

Last edited:

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I used to work in a local that paid time and a half to part timers working 6 punch, mine now doesn't do so. We are only entitled to double time if we 7 punch. I don't understand why I'd pay into a union that doesn't support me. I still do but honestly the guys with 30+ years part time in my building don't because they hate how the union doesn't give a :censored2: about them. If the long timers don't pay in and hate the union if they are part time, why at ~3 years with a company that pays new employees 30% more than me should I pay the union when they agree its okay to pay new people more than others? Coworker said his math puts him at saving ~13k over his career not paying into the union and the steward is definitely pro management compared to the 6 different buildings I've worked at, seems like 13k saved to me, doing additional math about compound interest over 30+years and all the sudden 13k is minor.
If you want to make money go full time ups is always hiring drivers

Or keep whining

upsperson

If you want to make money go full time ups is always hiring drivers

Or keep whining
Haha yeah I should either commit to a company that forces me into indefinite unskilled labor while very clearly not caring about me or just nut up. I'm sure they'll care a lot more when I'm 22.4 working 14 hour days for barely more than I make now. To elaborate, going full time is my plan, but that doesn't mean I'm too stupid to know part timers are being mistreated by the union while full timers don't give a :censored2:, it doesn't affect them, they'll take the part timers union dollars while deciding they should be paid less if they work more hours. I still pay in every check. I just know you guys don't care and the attitude I see makes it clear. Either it's lack of intelligence or empathy.

Last edited:

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Haha yeah I should either commit to a company that forces me into indefinite unskilled labor while very clearly not caring about me or just nut up. I'm sure they'll care a lot more when I'm 22.4 working 14 hour days for barely more than I make now.
It’s a job. Why do they need to care about you?
:censored2:in snowflakes

upsperson

It’s a job. Why do they need to care about you?
:censored2:in snowflakes
I don't really expect you to care, I expect to be paid for the quality of work I do. I've been at ups for ~3 years they literally wrote an article in the little ups newsletter about me for doing quality work. I've seen the numbers for the building. I'm literally the top at a misload per ~3k pieces, also I load the most packages out of anyone in the whole building, the people too stupid to read that have been here for 20‐37 years misload more frequently sit at a misload per 500-1000 pieces. Yet someone who's too stupid to know that truck 41 packages go on 41 not 42 should be paid more. If I work additional hours, someone who was hired yesterday will be paid 30% more, for the same work with no experience. You'd be happy if you bid on a route and someone with less time got it right? I'll just say stop whining. You'd be happy if a 22.4 with 2 days was paid $50/hour while you got $40 hour right? I'll tell you to stop whining.

Top seniority drivers request me to load for them, management loves me, but someone who was hired yesterday should be paid 30% more
Thank you union. You take care of me so well.

If I was working to a subpar level. I totally understand your point. But considering I'm the top performer in the building for misloads and pieces handled, it falls on deaf ears. I despise unions for promoting incompetence, regularly people incapable of doing the actual work get easier jobs. I'll happily ruin the loads of my drivers if I'm confident it means I can stand around and do nothing like other people in my building.

Last edited:

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
I don't really expect you to care, I expect to be paid for the quality of work I do. I've been at ups for ~3 years they literally wrote an article in the little ups newsletter about me for doing quality work. I've seen the numbers for the building. I'm literally the top at a misload per ~3k pieces, also I load the most packages out of anyone in the whole building, the people too stupid to read that have been here for 20‐37 years misload more frequently sit at a misload per 500-1000 pieces. Yet someone who's too stupid to know that truck 41 packages go on 41 not 42 should be paid more. If I work additional hours, someone who was hired yesterday will be paid 30% more, for the same work with no experience. You'd be happy if you bid on a route and someone with less time got it right? I'll just say stop whining. You'd be happy if a 22.4 with 2 days was paid $50/hour while you got $40 hour right? I'll tell you to stop whining.

Top seniority drivers request me to load for them, management loves me, but someone who was hired yesterday should be paid 30% more
Thank you union. You take care of me so well.

If I was working to a subpar level. I totally understand your point. But considering I'm the top performer in the building for misloads and pieces handled, it falls on deaf ears. I despise unions for promoting incompetence, regularly people incapable of doing the actual work get easier jobs. I'll happily ruin the loads of my drivers if I'm confident it means I can stand around and do nothing like other people in my building.
D463DC18-D41E-4798-A470-E11B6DEA7791.gif

Trailer monkey

Apologies for the double post but the expectation is I'll pay hundreds into the union that thinks new hires should make 30% more than a multi year ups employee. Sure maybe you'll argue but they don't have to pay for the seasonal employees insurance, I'm already at ups, already working 6 days a week. They are paying my insurance regardless if I work an extra 3 or 4 hours. I'm cheaper, more experienced, literally load the truck I go help on, but obviously that means I should make 30% less than people not paying into the union. Tell me you'd be happy as a full time driver at top rate, you'd be happy if a seasonal driver made 30% more than you.
As a fulltime 22.3, if they brought in seasonals to work in the hub at a 30% higher pay rate the question would be, Would I trade places with them?, the answer is HELL NO! What you get in health benefits, pension credits and job protection far exceeds any premium they are getting

As a fulltime 22.3, if they brought in seasonals to work in the hub at a 30% higher pay rate the question would be, Would I trade places with them?, the answer is HELL NO! What you get in health benefits, pension credits and job protection far exceeds any premium they are getting
Plus he is getting paid for the holidays the seasonals are not.

upsperson

Plus he is getting paid for the holidays the seasonals are not.
Yes the 7 total hours for ~$110 for Thanksgiving and Christmas makes the $4/hour I lose out on worth it when I'm working 10+ hour days.
Do you get paid extra for all this

Didn’t think so
Nope, but likely as a driver or retired driver I bet you'd love your preloaded to screw you over daily because I've decided to act my wage right? I don't like to screw over drivers, they're just trying to do their job. I don't even think the union is bad. I just think it's bad for part timers. They take care of full timers pretty good, they should be in the union, all of them. To argue I should screw over my drivers to ensure I have an easy job seems stupid, I'm happy to work harder than everyone else. I'm happy to work more hours than everyone else, but to say I should be paid less because of that is the :censored2: I'd from management not union employees.

Last edited:

upsperson

Apologies for double posting again, idk how to edit in a reply. I'm not trading, I'm working preload, then if I want additional hours then I should make even less than my inside rate. Your acting like the union didn't agree to this, they decided and agreed part timers working additional hours should make less than a new hire, while arguing I should pay into the union. I'm happy to pay into the union, I expect to be paid more than a new employee. I'd prefer to pay into the union and be adequately represented, that's the best case.
Honestly these replies make me want to :censored2: over my drivers, I'll be paid the same, I'll still get the hours. You guys will figure it out. I just wish it was you guys I'd screw over, I'll just have to screw over everyone and hope it's you guys. Whatever I still make the same amount, I still have union protections when I stop paying in.

Last edited:

UnionStrong

Nope, I just wish I could load for you.

The crazy thing is when I deliberately screw over my drivers and don't pay into the union, I'll still be represented, I can't be fired for being stupid worst case is they'll ask me to be management.
I’ve had my share of simpleton loaders. I’ve had some really good ones too. One of the worst got promoted to supervisor. Kinda says it all.

upsperson

I’ve had my share of simpleton loaders. I’ve had some really good ones too. One of the worst got promoted to supervisor. Kinda says it all.
As the one being requested by people with 30+ years, while loading more pieces more accurately than everyone else, draw your own conclusions as to which you think I am. Maybe you'd understand my frustrations more.

Also I'm sure you can appreciate the joke of incompetent people being promoted. Its the same here for everyone. If you show your not capable of the job you get progressively easier work.

Last edited:

UnionStrong

As the one being requested by people with 30+ years draw your own conclusions as to which you think I am. Maybe you'd understand my frustrations more.

Also I'm sure you can appreciate the joke of incompetent people being promoted.
I get your frustration, you can’t bring yourself to compromise your own work ethic. I can respect that. I always appreciated a good preloader.

upsperson

I get your frustration, you can’t bring yourself to compromise your own work ethic. I can respect that. I always appreciated a good preloader.
I genuinely can't not try hard. It's a little annoying that quality workers seem to be overlooked. Again, I'm not anti union, I'm just thoroughly frustrated with how they seem to treat part timers. I am in the union, want to be, I just want to be treated comparable to my work. But I'm not the type to drag my feet to do so. I'd prefer to hit the gas, do great for my people and be paid accordingly. I don't expect my unskilled part time labor to similar to driver pay or anything. But not less than a new hire.
You guys want to go home to see your family's, dogs, kids, or drink (joke) and I understand that. I don't want to be the cause that makes your day awful and makes it a 11 hour day instead of 8, if you want 11 drag your feet thats not my problem, but making a day :censored2:ty isnt my goal. I don't want you guys to be stuck at work. I don't care what management thinks about my loads, I'll argue for loading exactly as requested by my drivers to my building supe vs the management way, I've done it before, I'll do it again. Management only has to deal with my misloads, drivers have to deal with my actual work, so I load for them.
I just wish the union seemed to care more which is why I found this thread initially and the appearance of disdain for why someone would want to leave the union stirred me to post. There's plenty of reasons to dislike the union as a part timer, I think nearly none as a full timer tho.

Last edited:
Yes the 7 total hours for ~$110 for Thanksgiving and Christmas makes the $4/hour I lose out on worth it when I'm working 10+ hour days.

Nope, but likely as a driver or retired driver I bet you'd love your preloaded to screw you over daily because I've decided to act my wage right? I don't like to screw over drivers, they're just trying to do their job. I don't even think the union is bad. I just think it's bad for part timers. They take care of full timers pretty good, they should be in the union, all of them. To argue I should screw over my drivers to ensure I have an easy job seems stupid, I'm happy to work harder than everyone else. I'm happy to work more hours than everyone else, but to say I should be paid less because of that is the :censored2: I'd from management not union employees.
I guess every area is different.
But at least here they're paying everybody the MRA

Which is only right