How to Properly Leave Union?

I have been lurking

Tired hubrat
I genuinely can't not try hard. It's a little annoying that quality workers seem to be overlooked. Again, I'm not anti union, I'm just thoroughly frustrated with how they seem to treat part timers. I am in the union, want to be, I just want to be treated comparable to my work. But I'm not the type to drag my feet to do so. I'd prefer to hit the gas, do great for my people and be paid accordingly. I don't expect my unskilled part time labor to similar to driver pay or anything. But not less than a new hire.
You guys want to go home to see your family's, dogs, kids, or drink (joke) and I understand that. I don't want to be the cause that makes your day awful and makes it a 11 hour day instead of 8, if you want 11 drag your feet thats not my problem, but making a day :censored2:ty isnt my goal. I don't want you guys to be stuck at work. I don't care what management thinks about my loads, I'll argue for loading exactly as requested by my drivers to my building supe vs the management way, I've done it before, I'll do it again. Management only has to deal with my misloads, drivers have to deal with my actual work, so I load for them.
I just wish the union seemed to care more which is why I found this thread initially and the appearance of disdain for why someone would want to leave the union stirred me to post. There's plenty of reasons to dislike the union as a part timer, I think nearly none as a full timer tho.
Just treat preload like a tradesman: do it good, make someone bleed your bins

upsperson

I guess every area is different.
But at least here they're paying everybody the MRA

Which is only right
I've worked in 6 different centers and 2 different regional contracts. It's a little surprising how different they all are. My most recent is the worst I've seen management wise which is maybe why I'm even less happy, also the absolute worst steward I've had. She genuinely seems to argue for management more frequently than employees. Regardless, I don't think it's a bad job at all which is why I'm with the company, and while the union makes me mad and I really don't want to pay in, I'll probably keep doing so.

wilberforce15

Nope, I just wish I could load for you.

The crazy thing is when I deliberately screw over my drivers and don't pay into the union, I'll still be represented, I can't be fired for being stupid worst case is they'll ask me to be management.
The union will defend you by telling management, "I'm here on behalf of your employee that I have to represent."

If you're a member, they'll say "I'm here on behalf of our brother so-and-so...."

You can be fired for anything, and the union can give you crap representation any time they want, if you piss them off.

YOu can't make a living pissing off both sides.

I've worked in 6 different centers and 2 different regional contracts. It's a little surprising how different they all are. My most recent is the worst I've seen management wise which is maybe why I'm even less happy, also the absolute worst steward I've had. She genuinely seems to argue for management more frequently than employees. Regardless, I don't think it's a bad job at all which is why I'm with the company, and while the union makes me mad and I really don't want to pay in, I'll probably keep doing so.
Put your time in, go driving and you can make a career out of this place

upsperson

Put your time in, go driving and you can make a career out of this place
Yes, I do live the same life as you now that you've told me so. I'll adjust all the things that make a 9am end time practical for me and just start doing something else, so I can make as much as a new hire.
The union will defend you by telling management, "I'm here on behalf of your employee that I have to represent."

If you're a member, they'll say "I'm here on behalf of our brother so-and-so...."

You can be fired for anything, and the union can give you crap representation any time they want, if you piss them off.

YOu can't make a living pissing off both sides.
I'm pissing off both sides by paying into the union, and management loves me for out performing all the lazy employees? Sounds like I'm fired any second now. I'm sure the union will come after me for working too hard with how you lazy :censored2: drivers act.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Yes, I do live the same life as you now that you've told me so. I'll adjust all the things that make a 9am end time practical for me and just start doing something else, so I can make as much as a new hire.

I'm pissing off both sides by paying into the union, and management loves me for out performing all the lazy employees? Sounds like I'm fired any second now. I'm sure the union will come after me for working too hard with how you lazy :censored2: drivers act.
E9194AED-AFB9-464D-999E-2BF8EC02B1BA.gif

upsperson

You have no choice but to join the union in my state.
I was previously in 3 centers like so, honestly the union was great and defended part timers. My current location does not require union participation, and the union is clearly weaker. I don't dictate the laws, but I can choose to pay $40 or whatever it is a month out of my $1200/pay for what appears to be no benefits. My previous $40/month got me ot on 6 punch. Mine now doesn't. My previous $40 a month got me solid union representation, it doesn't now. It's not even like I can pay more to get the same benefits.

upsperson

Is they not tell you pay rate you was going to receive when you started this job?
Honestly no, last year people got paid different rates for the same work. I genuinely think you guys work in a higher quality place. This is literally the worst center out of 6 I've been at. Supposedly the supes have been suspended for deliberately docking pay.

Honestly no, last year people got paid different rates for the same work. I genuinely think you guys work in a higher quality place. This is literally the worst center out of 6 I've been at. Supposedly the supes have been suspended for deliberately docking pay.
Just hang in there one day you'll be making the big bucks

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
I was previously in 3 centers like so, honestly the union was great and defended part timers. My current location does not require union participation, and the union is clearly weaker. I don't dictate the laws, but I can choose to pay $40 or whatever it is a month out of my $1200/pay for what appears to be no benefits. My previous $40/month got me ot on 6 punch. Mine now doesn't. My previous $40 a month got me solid union representation, it doesn't now. It's not even like I can pay more to get the same benefits.
Why you moving around so much?

upsperson

Why you moving around so much?
Physically moving, seasonal work, a transfer, then moving to local facilities immediately after the transfer because I was bottom of building seniority. Give me trouble for being a bad worker, not for wanting to leave the union that doesn't represent me. The 6 centers, 2 regional contracts was to show I've seen how different places react. I'll give you my boring life story if you want.

Last edited: