Huge layoffs are happening to 22.4s

Zowert

Every day except Mondays we have at least a dozen drivers volunteering to take a day off, I counted 16 yesterday plus 4 call ins. I’ve been taking one day off a week so a 22.4 can get some work, most RPCD’s have been doing the same. Volume has been very light. Layoffs are inevitable here. Hopefully things will pick up in the summer. I think most drivers will be back by prime week.

Zowert

People just don’t want to live within their means anymore. Last year when gas hit 5$ a gallon I sold my truck, shrunk my car payment, gas and insurance by half. I got rid of a few streaming services, cut out the eating out to once or twice a week and I had an extra 1,000$ a month in the bank.
I saw the driver that’s at the bottom of the 22.4 seniority list show up to work in a brand new Dodge Charger last week. It’s interesting looking at the vehicles guys are driving. Most of the old timers are driving (or at least commuting to work in) 10+ year old vehicles. Low seniority guys are showing up in new sports cars and lifted trucks. The mentality seems to be “I finally got a good paying job, I’m gonna go out and buy me a new ride!”

Last edited:

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
So who is buying the thousands of $300k new homes?
Banks and foreign.
A lot of banks around here mainly BOA are purchasing homes and paying property management and renting them out.
$250k homes being rented out for $21-$2400 a month. Kind of ridiculous. I have a $250k home and a $1300 mortgage.

Sissy Brown Short Shorts

I saw the driver that’s at the bottom of the 22.4 seniority list show up to work in a brand new Dodge Charger last week. It’s interesting looking at the vehicles guys are driving. Most of the old timers are driving (or at least commuting to work in) 10+ year old vehicles. Low seniority guys are showing up in new sports cars and lifted trucks. The mentality seems to be “I finally got a good paying job, I’m gonna go out and buy me a new ride!”
Very true. The most senior driver in our building drives an early 90s station wagon. At least treat yourself to a vehicle from the 2010s.

Sissy Brown Short Shorts

Thousands of lay offs and record employment at the same time wages are up. Stocks are down but the Stock Market is not the economy. You sure put a strange twist on reality.
Amazon laid of 20,000. Facebook is laying off thousands. FedEx is laying off 10% of corporate etc. The job gains are pre pandemic losses being made up. People finally going back to work. No new jobs have been created yet.

Thebrownblob

Very true. The most senior driver in our building drives an early 90s station wagon. At least treat yourself to a vehicle from the 2010s.
That senior driver is actually probably very smart, putting his money somewhere where you can actually make money not a depreciating asset. I love cars I have quite a few I paid cash for all of them. I do lots of the maintenance myself because I enjoy it. I cannot imagine having a $700-$1000 a month car payment.

PT Car Washer

Banks and foreign.
A lot of banks around here mainly BOA are purchasing homes and paying property management and renting them out.
$250k homes being rented out for $21-$2400 a month. Kind of ridiculous. I have a $250k home and a $1300 mortgage.
Jewish banks and foreigners. People have used that excuse for centuries.

BrownStains

But then ups was hiring a bunch of drivers for this last peak and giving drivers actual hours and 8 hour days over peak . Now them guys are laid off . Shouldn’t have been hired in the first place

KearsargeCoop

Baseball, dart board
Yeah you’re both dating yourself and disregarding households that have children. Any vehicle, 4 door, in reputable shape will cost you around 30K. Newer end will cost around 50K. Point being cost of living has gone up while your wages, unless you work at McDonald’s, has stagnated.
I hope you are being factitious. Or we just have wildly differing ideas on what a reputable car is...You can get a 2016 Ford Escape with 50k miles for half that. Maybe that's not a reputable car to you, but to many people that car would be dynamite.