PhatPattheRiverRat

Well, nevermind. After being told during the tour that the position would be 3:30-8 everyday, the HR rep called me later and said "well I learned that because it's peak, they are starting around noon and going until 8 now." That's all well and good, but I am not available until 3 p.m.

So we agreed it wouldn't work at the current moment, but she told me to re-fill out the app January 1, and then text her to be put on a waiting list. I am going to do that.

After I fill out the list, I will follow-up probably once a week, maybe twice, as it seems like you need to be persistent to get a foot in the door. I also emailed her yesterday and thanked her for setting aside an hour to give me a tour and chat, even though things didn't work out now. Didn't expect an email back, but she emailed me thanking me for thanking her, telling me that this is a stressful season and she really appreciated the email lol. I mean, a followup thank you is pretty standard for an interview...right?

PT Car Washer

Well, nevermind. After being told during the tour that the position would be 3:30-8 everyday, the HR rep called me later and said "well I learned that because it's peak, they are starting around noon and going until 8 now." That's all well and good, but I am not available until 3 p.m.

So we agreed it wouldn't work at the current moment, but she told me to re-fill out the app January 1, and then text her to be put on a waiting list. I am going to do that.

After I fill out the list, I will follow-up probably once a week, maybe twice, as it seems like you need to be persistent to get a foot in the door. I also emailed her yesterday and thanked her for setting aside an hour to give me a tour and chat, even though things didn't work out now. Didn't expect an email back, but she emailed me thanking me for thanking her, telling me that this is a stressful season and she really appreciated the email lol. I mean, a followup thank you is pretty standard for an interview...right?
At my building they hire PT 12 months out of the year, although Twi is a more desirable sort then midnight or preload, you have a good chance of getting a call back.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
It's simple.

show up on time

use the proper work and safety methods

do the best you can ( that's what you say when they push you to work faster)

pace yourself

stay hydrated

stay union ( they will ask you to be part time supe if you are any good )

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer

i guess you didn't want this job anyway.

and don't make excuses. excuses are for losers.

PhatPattheRiverRat

i guess you didn't want this job anyway.

and don't make excuses. excuses are for losers.

Uh not sure where you are grabbing that info from. I am going to be re-applying and harassing hr until I get the job. What part of that is an excuse? The peak season schedule doesn't work with my second job's schedule, not an excuse...just a reality. Good advice above though.

trickpony1

You know what, I was thinking about it,

Could you unload on the primary during the preload shift?

-requires no thought or memory work...simply put boxes on extendo, repeat for 3-4 hours (less hours than preload usually);
-a slightly less per hour $;
-doesn't involve jumping in and out of the rear end of 3-4 pkg cars and blowing out your knees. This is something to think about (your knees).

I don't know how big your hub/center is but you might think about unload.

BasedSupe

Work as directed. This goes far in terms of preserving your body. Some may say do the minimum amount of work, just do what suits you. It’s work. It’s not always nor supposed to be fun. Watch the company you keep, befriend everyone while be friends with few. Show up everyday for your prequalification 30 day period. Work safe.

Slow walker

Go back to school and learn a trade.. Get a job that you can get off the same time every day not miss your kids school play or ball game. Your family will come after the stockholders

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

You talked about fight club, didn't you?

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
Sweet diggity, I'm a twilight package handler. I start next Wednesday and want to do a good job so I can maybe be kept on p/t in the future, and also to try and make the driver's and other handlers lives a bit easier.

What do you wish someone had told you before you started this position? Also - will my body adjust to it? I'm in good shape, so I'm not too worried, but some people on here act like package handling is the most brutal thing ever. Thanks!
i bet you quit already

ChrisTheBrown

First month (for me) as a preloader sucked..& I'll never forget splitting the belt my first peak, 6 months after I was hired on..That was a nightmare. Unload was my main job on preload, which I always thought was the easiest job. Kinda miss those days, at times.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
the guy next to me is still here. They must have hit the jackpot 2 senior preloaders leave and the replacements stayed longer than six months!