PhatPattheRiverRat

Sweet diggity, I'm a twilight package handler. I start next Wednesday and want to do a good job so I can maybe be kept on p/t in the future, and also to try and make the driver's and other handlers lives a bit easier.

What do you wish someone had told you before you started this position? Also - will my body adjust to it? I'm in good shape, so I'm not too worried, but some people on here act like package handling is the most brutal thing ever. Thanks!

Uline has some nice cardboard handler gloves for 27 bucks. Ironclad something or other. I can't link because mobile.

OP; you probably won't make the seasonal cut. If you're trying to, call every day for work, and if they say no call an hour later. Show up 15 minutes early. Work it like you mean it and you'll probably stay.

SolidWoodPanel

Probably the Greatest American Alive
I mean, I usually work hard, but that is my M.O. in life in most situations....
It's possibly you'll stay depending on the staffing situation at your hub, and how many drivers there are just driving during peak. We added about 30 new routes for peak, so once December is over, the dozen regular pre-load staffers will be back to the belts. And then whoever stays on, will be compared to the other new hires. At least, it should be that way, but then again, this is UPS

trickpony1

I'm guessing the OP will be kept on.
The turn over is so high they will keep anyone who walks through the door every night.

EDIT: ...and they will make you feel "special" that you were kept on.

cardboard-surfer

Your body will adjust...sometimes they start off easy, drop you in some center feeder going to BFE that gets maybe 200 pieces total. Or they'll drop you alone in the truck going to CACH and you'll be running for the exit during break, who knows.

If you ask to be put in a light load, sups will definitely put you in the busiest feeder. Keep your mouth shut and you might get lucky. Sups are not your friend.

Before 12/25 coming in late is usually given a pass, doing whatever is ok, throwing/scanning multiple boxes, piling stuff all over the feeder, etc...until December 26th. 1 second late to shift and you're gone. If lucky you'll get a sup that shows the "correct" way to load before they write you up for poor load quality. Force your PT sup to show the correct way to load. Follow the methods and go slowly, no matter how much the sups scream; stay safe and survive each shift intact.

Whining about "working harder than anyone else" will immediately put you on the :censored2: list. Keep personal items close by; some workers steal and/or put body fluids all over them when you're busy/not looking. Don't tell anyone where you live. Healthcare doesn't start until a full year most places; bonuses are a myth. Anything a sup says (other than orders to do something) is a lie. Welcome to the bottom rung of UPS.

Rack em

Made the Podium
Do the least amount of work you can get away with.
Only us union folk are supposed to do that, and only between our 27 union breaks we get every day.....I actually had a guy say this and think we were lazy because we are union workers LOL.

SolidWoodPanel

Probably the Greatest American Alive
Your body will adjust...sometimes they start off easy, drop you in some center feeder going to BFE that gets maybe 200 pieces total. Or they'll drop you alone in the truck going to CACH and you'll be running for the exit during break, who knows.

If you ask to be put in a light load, sups will definitely put you in the busiest feeder. Keep your mouth shut and you might get lucky. Sups are not your friend.

Before 12/25 coming in late is usually given a pass, doing whatever is ok, throwing/scanning multiple boxes, piling stuff all over the feeder, etc...until December 26th. 1 second late to shift and you're gone. If lucky you'll get a sup that shows the "correct" way to load before they write you up for poor load quality. Force your PT sup to show the correct way to load. Follow the methods and go slowly, no matter how much the sups scream; stay safe and survive each shift intact.

Whining about "working harder than anyone else" will immediately put you on the :censored2: list. Keep personal items close by; some workers steal and/or put body fluids all over them when you're busy/not looking. Don't tell anyone where you live. Healthcare doesn't start until a full year most places; bonuses are a myth. Anything a sup says (other than orders to do something) is a lie. Welcome to the bottom rung of UPS.

I started out at sort at the front of the belt. Loading anywhere from 350 to 600 packages, sorting, and helping the person next to me as often as possible. Those were the days. Then I went to loading 900-1200+ packages a day. There was an adjustment period, but anything under 1000 become an easy day.

You get in shape, but I don't think it's so much the physical toll, as it is the mental stressor, and just getting into a rhythm with how your cars line up with that days volume. A big part is knowing when you can move a volume number below the shelves and consolidate.

clean hairy

OP, no matter how good shape you think you are in, you will use muscles you did not know existed.
You will be sore as heck by the end of your first week until your muscles adapt.
Just so you know.

MynameisNeigan

Sweet diggity, I'm a twilight package handler. I start next Wednesday and want to do a good job so I can maybe be kept on p/t in the future, and also to try and make the driver's and other handlers lives a bit easier.

What do you wish someone had told you before you started this position? Also - will my body adjust to it? I'm in good shape, so I'm not too worried, but some people on here act like package handling is the most brutal thing ever. Thanks!

Might be in good shape but your body has to get used to this type of work. You’ll be hurting for the first few days. Might even quit. If you want extra hours ask your sups for double and even helper. I know guys working about 80 hours a week. Good luck