I guess now we know what deal the international made to save 250 jobs

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
A few hundred Teamster malcontents boycotting Amazon isn't going to make a difference.

Those same Teamster malcontents organizing within the UPS hubs over the next 2-5 years, however, will make a difference. This contract was supposed to be hall time to shine and he fell drastically short of many people's expectations; IBT was willing to mobilize the members around the health care fight and then all of that "went away" the moment UPS agreed to move all of the part-timers into CS H&W.

Here's a little bit of history: IBT has wanted the PT'ers in CS H&W for at least the last decade -- most of them are young and don't use their insurance but would still receive the same company contributions into the plan. They would be a boon for the union health care plan.

UPS scored a major victory with the 4 year FT progression -- they can already make someone wait 15 or 16 years for a FT job and now screw them out of a few grand more in wages. They were pushing for a two-tiered FT wage scale, ie. top rate for "new" FT drivers would be $25/hr. We already have a de facto two-tiered wage scale with the PT/FT work force; agreeing to an "official" two-tier wage scale would kill the union from the inside out and pit generations of workers against each other (we already have this with the animosity between PT workers and FT drivers).

UPS foreshadowed the health care fight in 2008 negotiations by complaining about retiree health care and it turned into an attack on everyone's insurance in 2013; they're going to try and take us on with a two-tiered wage scale in 2018 and they'll manage to get it through unless the members start paying attention.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
A few hundred Teamster malcontents boycotting Amazon isn't going to make a difference.

Those same Teamster malcontents organizing within the UPS hubs over the next 2-5 years, however, will make a difference. This contract was supposed to be hall time to shine and he fell drastically short of many people's expectations; IBT was willing to mobilize the members around the health care fight and then all of that "went away" the moment UPS agreed to move all of the part-timers into CS H&W.

Here's a little bit of history: IBT has wanted the PT'ers in CS H&W for at least the last decade -- most of them are young and don't use their insurance but would still receive the same company contributions into the plan. They would be a boon for the union health care plan.

UPS scored a major victory with the 4 year FT progression -- they can already make someone wait 15 or 16 years for a FT job and now screw them out of a few grand more in wages. They were pushing for a two-tiered FT wage scale, ie. top rate for "new" FT drivers would be $25/hr. We already have a de facto two-tiered wage scale with the PT/FT work force; agreeing to an "official" two-tier wage scale would kill the union from the inside out and pit generations of workers against each other (we already have this with the animosity between PT workers and FT drivers).

UPS foreshadowed the health care fight in 2008 negotiations by complaining about retiree health care and it turned into an attack on everyone's insurance in 2013; they're going to try and take us on with a two-tiered wage scale in 2018 and they'll manage to get it through unless the members start paying attention.

With the IBT using the nuclear option (article 12) in this years negotiations, your point becomes much more dangerous for 2018.

They played their cards and showed their hand. Unless the membership forces change across this country starting with my local and taking that all the way to the top, we can expect more concessions in 2018.

If a TDU candidate is all we have to work with, then sobeit, if it brings change and a firewall between being heard and ignored.

I am no TDU fan, but I would be willing to give them a shot and keep K.H. out of my future.

TOS.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hawfuh Sux

Old Guard Assassin!
The Gregare slate? How many of those guys haven't been banned for life by the IRB?
With the IBT using the nuclear option (article 12) in this years negotiations, your point becomes much more dangerous for 2018.

They played their cards and showed their hand. Unless the membership forces change across this country starting with my local and taking that all the way to the top, we can expect more concessions in 2018.

If a TDU candidate is all we have to work with, then sobeit, if it brings change and a firewall between being heard and ignored.

I am no TDU fan, but I would be willing to give them a shot and keep K.H. out of my future.

TOS.

Were you on the conference call this past Saturday?

If you weren't, Fred Z talked about building a United Front to defeat hall in 2016. They all agreed that there can't be three slates this time. I agree 100% and will do my part to make sure this becomes a reality.

Ashell

I think you are wrong. When it comes to consumer shopping, the customer is always right. It doesn't matter how small or insignificant the problem with the product or service is. You might even return an item missing parts, and still get a full refund. Then they turn around and mark down the item and try to sell it for a loss. Why would anyone do that? Because these companies want you to be happy. They want your business now and in the future.

Teamster members are locked into a contract with automatic deductions and a complicated window and process to try and get out. UPS, forget about it... We all are consumers, union members and non members alike. We are all effected by this PoS new contract. We are customers to our customers, and we have the power to purchase from anyone we choose without the union or UPS. I'm upset seeing people say, "bend over and take it till next contract." Because the same thing is going to happen next election, and the next vote. Votes will be thrown out to get the people in office UPS can control, and to get the result that makes share holders money. Union or not I think we can still make an impact and put pressure back on the company, and we do it with our money and how we choose to spend it.