In-Vehicle Express Cameras (On Topic/Information thread)

fdxsux

The camera isn’t on 24/7. The mechanics told us this. Something to do about an aggressive driving move or breaking will start it up then in goes dormant after several minutes. Don’t know if I believe it.
It’s on the whole time you’re driving and stays on for a while after you turn the ignition off.

PurpleMatt

On my FedEx Chevy Express Van, the installers mounted the camera directly behind the rear view mirror, blocking it's view of me. I didn't even to need to leave them a tip.

Star B

White Lightening
The camera isn’t on 24/7. The mechanics told us this. Something to do about an aggressive driving move or breaking will start it up then in goes dormant after several minutes. Don’t know if I believe it.
The camera is on constantly and recording. When an event is triggered, it saves the footage and then sends it up.

I'm not sure of the actual times but for example, a lot of places do 30-60 seconds before and after the event...

Star B

White Lightening
To make some people feel better and to scare off what would ultimately be frivolous lawsuits.
You're a ground contractor so this doesn't affect you.

Additionally, biometric data is protected and treated differently in some states. It's recognized in the GDPR. It is important to recognize that the data and driver profiles is based off of your private person, not just what you do in the job.

For example, if I had a driver profile built by my employment at Express and I happen to walk by another Nauto camera, even if it's not a FedEx one, it would be able to recognize me and associate me to that imagery. That's some Orwellian crap right there.

It will be fine

You're a ground contractor so this doesn't affect you.

Additionally, biometric data is protected and treated differently in some states. It's recognized in the GDPR. It is important to recognize that the data and driver profiles is based off of your private person, not just what you do in the job.

For example, if I had a driver profile built by my employment at Express and I happen to walk by another Nauto camera, even if it's not a FedEx one, it would be able to recognize me and associate me to that imagery. That's some Orwellian crap right there.
Everything is Orwell to some people. Hysterical nonsense most of the time.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Actually, it's not that funny. You're going to go down the line of "Well, Facebook, twitter, here, etc." For the record, I don't do Facebook and I try to keep a low-ish profile on the internet.

Nauto is a company with it's HQ in Ireland. God forbid something happens with a breach, what is FedEx going to do for the people who were part of that breach? I mean, if it's a condition of our employment to allow them to store PII, it should be our right to take FedEx to the cleaners if Nauto :censored2:s up. I mean, "They comply with our InfoSec policy"..... the same policy that caused MEMH to get shut down and infected by a virus.

Plus, this isn't a password that can be changed, this is data that is based off of something that cannot be changed -- your image and your characteristics.
Oh, what if there's a breach? OK, let's play that out.

There's a breach and let's say they get 5 months' of recordable incidents. For example, on June 10, 2021, there is a 10 second video of a nameless person driving and hitting a pothole. The accompanying data is that it happened at 10:48 AM, going NE on Main St in Anytown, TN at a speed of 28 PMH and was recorded by unit # 201A5578FG2, which is leased to the FedEx corporation headquartered in Memphis, TN.

You're worried about that.

falcon back

Oh, what if there's a breach? OK, let's play that out.

There's a breach and let's say they get 5 months' of recordable incidents. For example, on June 10, 2021, there is a 10 second video of a nameless person driving and hitting a pothole. The accompanying data is that it happened at 10:48 AM, going NE on Main St in Anytown, TN at a speed of 28 PMH and was recorded by unit # 201A5578FG2, which is leased to the FedEx corporation headquartered in Memphis, TN.

You're worried about that.
Do they have cameras in corporate? Maybe aimed at the coffee pot, maybe the candy machine. That is all you would have anything of value to add.

59 Dano

Not only that, it probably already knows your address and would tap in to your wifi (and anything connected to it!) and build all these other profiles, too. Just think of it, anytime you walk by a Nauto camera, it instantly knows how many times you watched Baby Shark on YouTube.

Chilling, I tell you!

59 Dano

To make some people feel better and to scare off what would ultimately be frivolous lawsuits.
You should have seen some of the stuff on the FedEx FB group. I don't know how much of it I actually believe but I suspect some of it is nothing more than resistance for the sake of resistance, like a bald man fighting to get a comb.

Working4the1%

You should have seen some of the stuff on the FedEx FB group. I don't know how much of it I actually believe but I suspect some of it is nothing more than resistance for the sake of resistance, like a bald man fighting to get a comb.
Can we put a camera on you all day???