Interesting Article About Teamsters Pension For All The Haters

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I've said it before: I love the idea of a defined benefits pension. Unfortunately, the math doesn't work that well in the long run as evidenced by situations similar to what you've posted. It's understandable that people would prefer a traditional pension, but the people here who scream for one need to use calculators that actually compute NUMBERS instead of rainbows and unicorns.

Right. You're saying FedEx couldn't afford to continue the Traditional Plan? B effing S. The math works REALLY well for Mr. Smith. He doesn't pay new employees a pension at all.

You make me laugh.

vantexan

I've said it before: I love the idea of a defined benefits pension. Unfortunately, the math doesn't work that well in the long run as evidenced by situations similar to what you've posted. It's understandable that people would prefer a traditional pension, but the people here who scream for one need to use calculators that actually compute NUMBERS instead of rainbows and unicorns.
OK to offer one to lure us in but no obligation to keep your word? Typical.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Some if not all teamster pensions don't allow working at another union shop. You may be able to qualify for retirement with UPS but may not be able to draw your pension.

I have no intention of doing it---it was a jab at Cosmo, who swaps cars between dealers and to /from auctions.

As much as it pains me to agree with Dave, yeah, I drive new and newish cars around for a local auto group.

Money sucks, but it gets me out of the house and away from the wife (still have one of them, Dave) two or three days a week.

MAKAVELI

Would you be happier if they'd kept it the way it was and then had to slash the benefits at a later date, ala the story in the original post?
Why would they have to slash benefits? It wouldn't have the funding problems a multi employer plan has and they could always just siphon $ from Ground to ensure its solvency.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Why would they have to slash benefits? It wouldn't have the funding problems a multi employer plan has and they could always just siphon $ from Ground to ensure its solvency.

Hey, buddy. Fred is living on food stamps and we're going broke. He can barely buy new Boeings and pay-off Congress. I feel bad.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Don't have an answer?

Yes, but if you think the situation is as simple as "It wouldn't have the funding problems a multi employer plan has and they could always just siphon $ from Ground to ensure its solvency," it would be a waste of my time to post it and a waste of your time to read it.