Is It Time To Disrupt Operations?

FedEx All the Way!

Re: Interview "WALL STREET"

By the way - has anyone read the "interview with Fred".

Fred S is correct that some elements in the economy are more productive than others. Mr. Smith is one of the more productive. He personally created FedEx and has built it into the Fortune 500 company it is today. Directly because of him, 290,000 people have employment at FedEX. That is productivity.
Nowhere in the interview did Mr. Smith use the words "lazy" or "unproductive". He just said that some people are more productive with capital than others, that's true. How many other individuals in America have created 290,000 jobs?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

By the way - has anyone read the "interview with Fred".

Fred S is correct that some elements in the economy are more productive than others. Mr. Smith is one of the more productive. He personally created FedEx and has built it into the Fortune 500 company it is today. Directly because of him, 290,000 people have employment at FedEX. That is productivity.
Nowhere in the interview did Mr. Smith use the words "lazy" or "unproductive". He just said that some people are more productive with capital than others, that's true. How many other individuals in America have created 290,000 jobs?

Fred's original concept for Federal Express was unique and innovative....pay people fairly, treat them well, and watch productivity and profits rise. He was quite productive with his own capital and that of his other initial investors. In fact, Federal Express is often cited as one of the most successful venture capital ideas of all time.

That said, Smith has reversed the formula that made him his millions and Federal Express a household name. Now, he treats people like crap, pays them poorly, and watches their productivity decline because they don't give a damn anymore. FedEx and the original Federal Express are two very different companies....kind of like comparing apples to oranges. You don't see it because you don't work there, but there is a tidal wave of unhappy FedEx employees who have seen a continuous series of take-aways to line Fred's pockets. Now, he takes my capital and that of my fellow employees and invests those savings (stagnant wages, pension and profit-sharing plans gone) back into the company. His reward will be a unionized company...count on it. Go Obama!!

FedEx All the Way!

Fred's original concept for Federal Express was unique and innovative....pay people fairly, treat them well, and watch productivity and profits rise. He was quite productive with his own capital and that of his other initial investors. In fact, Federal Express is often cited as one of the most successful venture capital ideas of all time.

That said, Smith has reversed the formula that made him his millions and Federal Express a household name. Now, he treats people like crap, pays them poorly, and watches their productivity decline because they don't give a damn anymore. FedEx and the original Federal Express are two very different companies....kind of like comparing apples to oranges. You don't see it because you don't work there, but there is a tidal wave of unhappy FedEx employees who have seen a continuous series of take-aways to line Fred's pockets. Now, he takes my capital and that of my fellow employees and invests those savings (stagnant wages, pension and profit-sharing plans gone) back into the company. His reward will be a unionized company...count on it. Go Obama!!

OK - GO OBAMA, LET'S SEE!

#1 - Obama's tax plan would hit the bottom line of small businesses in a number of ways. First, because a solid majority of small business owners are taxed at the personal income rate, any moderately successful business (with an income of as little as $165,000 a year) could face a higher tax liability. WAY TO GO!

#2 - Obama's plan phases out certain tax deductions, raising rates imposed on this group by another 1.5 percentage points.

#3 - The plan would increase the highest marginal tax rate by four percentage points, to 39% from 35%. THE HIGHER THE BETTER!

#4 - The plan would eliminate the cap on income subject to payroll taxes, which would also affect owners of small businesses.

GREAT FOR SMALL BUSINESS OWNERS AND GREAT FOR THE ECONOMY!!!!!!!!!!!:greedy:

New Englander

Whats your current top wage at Express?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Whats your current top wage at Express?

It varies according to market level. In my market, it's just over $22.00 per hour. As you know, top-out can take forever, and we no longer have a true pension plan. Starting pay at my station is $15.17 per hour.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

OK - GO OBAMA, LET'S SEE!

#1 - Obama's tax plan would hit the bottom line of small businesses in a number of ways. First, because a solid majority of small business owners are taxed at the personal income rate, any moderately successful business (with an income of as little as $165,000 a year) could face a higher tax liability. WAY TO GO!

#2 - Obama's plan phases out certain tax deductions, raising rates imposed on this group by another 1.5 percentage points.

#3 - The plan would increase the highest marginal tax rate by four percentage points, to 39% from 35%. THE HIGHER THE BETTER!

#4 - The plan would eliminate the cap on income subject to payroll taxes, which would also affect owners of small businesses.

GREAT FOR SMALL BUSINESS OWNERS AND GREAT FOR THE ECONOMY!!!!!!!!!!!:greedy:

He supports labor and Fred doesn't like him...good enough for me.

FedEx All the Way!

He supports labor and Fred doesn't like him...good enough for me.

FedEx donates plane to SUSLA
Thursday, 30 October 2008 FedEx Express, a subsidiary of FedEx Corp. and the world’s largest express transportation company, made a huge delivery today to Southern University at Shreveport. The delivery came unboxed and from end to end measured 153 feet long. It was a 209,500-pound Boeing 727-200 freighter that was donated to the university’s Aerospace Technology Center to support training for students enrolled in the university’s aerospace program.
The aircraft taxied through a canopy of water arches in a formal arrival ceremony after touching down this morning at Shreveport Downtown Airport for presentation to the university. Attending the event were local dignitaries, university and airport officials and FedEx representatives and other employees. FedEx also filmed the arrival for a “big screen” replay Nov. 29 in the Superdome during pre-game festivities at the annual Bayou Classic between Southern University and Grambling State University.
“As we retire this 727 from our fleet, we are proud to give back to the aviation community,” David Sutton, managing director of Aircraft Acquisition and Sales for FedEx, said. “The donation of this aircraft is just one example of the many ways FedEx supports educational endeavors, reflecting the community spirit shared by all FedEx employees in the cities and towns where we live and work.”

Sutton praised the cooperation with university and local officials for the coordination effort required to place the donated aircraft in Shreveport. He noted the “hands-on training value” the large freighter will provide to the university system’s aerospace program students.

“At a time of challenge for corporations in a soft economy it is refreshing and comforting to know that a company like FedEx continues to maintain a focus on education, which drives economic development,” Dr. Ray Belton, chancellor of Southern University, said. “Southern University at Shreveport will be greatly enhanced by such a substantial instructional resource for those students matriculating in our aerospace technology program. We are honored and appreciative to FedEx for their most generous support.”

“This gift will be an incredible asset to aviation in Shreveport and the entire three-state region served by our community,” Shreveport Mayor Cedric B. Glover said. “Because of the high number of aircraft mechanics forecast to retire in the next few years, having the students train on an actual 727 will help them enter the workforce trained to meet the aviation industry’s needs.”

WAY TO GO FEDEX!

FedEx All the Way!

MrFedEx - aren't you glad you are not one of these employees!:sad-little:

American Express to cut jobs

The jobs picture has become a major concern for many Americans, and today, another huge corporation said it will cut jobs.
American Express will slash about 10% of its work force, or roughly 7,000 jobs, in an effort to cut costs

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
MrFedEx - aren't you glad you are not one of these employees!:sad-little:

American Express to cut jobs

The jobs picture has become a major concern for many Americans, and today, another huge corporation said it will cut jobs.
American Express will slash about 10% of its work force, or roughly 7,000 jobs, in an effort to cut costs

Like I said before, FedEx will do essentially the same thing, by slashing hours and forcing people out the door. Maybe you still have a job, but it isn't a very good one. I'm starting to see part-timers be sent home with just 2 hrs on the clock regularly, and full-timers requested to go home early. I find it fascinating that we still have couriers quitting, even as the economy goes down the toilet, because FedEx is such a lousy place to work. The biggest method of hours-cutting occurs by doubling couriers up...making them do 1.5 times the work for the same amount of money. After they send all the "extras" home, the remaining couriers get the shaft by more than making-up the difference in extra stops.
As far as the issue of donating 727's, here we go. The 727 is an obsolete aircraft, and most companies will try and donate them to either a flight museum or an aircraft-oriented technical school to get the positive PR and a tax write-off. It's more profitable than just selling them for scrap or trying to pawn them off to some Third World cargo airline. It's smart business for FedEx because it helps to train the next generation of aircraft mechanics, and makes them look good at the same time.

david cassin

dublinbrown
didnt the irs only withdraw a preliminary finding on certain years .correct me if i am wrong.but look at the rulings the contractors are winning.
i only know what i read here about the contractor options with the freight as against the express drivers..so don't jump down my throat.
i know alot of the fedex drivers here in ireland are all or most are owner drivers so provide their own vehicle/insurance etc.
tough going if you ask me..:happy-very:

FedEx All the Way!

Like I said before, FedEx will do essentially the same thing, by slashing hours and forcing people out the door. Maybe you still have a job, but it isn't a very good one. I'm starting to see part-timers be sent home with just 2 hrs on the clock regularly, and full-timers requested to go home early. I find it fascinating that we still have couriers quitting, even as the economy goes down the toilet, because FedEx is such a lousy place to work. The biggest method of hours-cutting occurs by doubling couriers up...making them do 1.5 times the work for the same amount of money. After they send all the "extras" home, the remaining couriers get the shaft by more than making-up the difference in extra stops.
As far as the issue of donating 727's, here we go. The 727 is an obsolete aircraft, and most companies will try and donate them to either a flight museum or an aircraft-oriented technical school to get the positive PR and a tax write-off. It's more profitable than just selling them for scrap or trying to pawn them off to some Third World cargo airline. It's smart business for FedEx because it helps to train the next generation of aircraft mechanics, and makes them look good at the same time.

If employees are having their hours slashed - they should try and get themselves a second job. As far as couriers quitting - what are they doing as far as finding work?

I have friends with children that have lost their jobs (IT, Management and in the Medical Field) and are trying to make ends meet (difficult times right now for everyone). The problem here is that employers are taking advantage of laying off people and will continue doing business without ever replacing them - even when the economy turns around (which I believe will not be any time soon whether it's Obama or McCain).

SmithBarney

If employees are having their hours slashed - they should try and get themselves a second job.

Try explaining to a potential "afternoon" second job that you may or may not be available
for work at 1pm, maybe 2pm sometimes 12 Noon... as they throw out your resume

The Second job idea while novel is just that... nobody will hire someone with
a haphazard schedule that we run at FedEx.

Short of Delivering pizza or working a night shift there isn't much out there
that has the flexibility that a FedEx Courier needs to retain a 2nd job.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Try explaining to a potential "afternoon" second job that you may or may not be available
for work at 1pm, maybe 2pm sometimes 12 Noon... as they throw out your resume

The Second job idea while novel is just that... nobody will hire someone with
a haphazard schedule that we run at FedEx.

Short of Delivering pizza or working a night shift there isn't much out there
that has the flexibility that a FedEx Courier needs to retain a 2nd job.

Exactly. You see, FedExAllTheWay, FedEx still expects you to be available whenever they need you, so your scheduled hours mean nothing in most cases. In other words, it is very difficult to work a second job if you are a FedEx courier. The official FedEx policy states that you can only be held 30 mins past your scheduled end time if PT, and 1 hr past if FT. As with most FedEx policies. it isn't adhered to at all IF it benefits the company. I see PT people have a gun put to their head every day when they are needed and then see the same people given the bums rush out the door the next day because volumes are light. 12 hours on Wednesday and 2 hours on Thursday, and, oh yes, your schedule next week is different because we need you to be "flexible".(At FedEx "flexible" is defined as bending over, grasping your ankles, and then being sodomized violently by a manager who needs you to do something for him). If you insist on actually working your scheduled hours, you are "inflexible", a "trouble-maker", or you have a "bad attitude". If the plane or CTV is late, your schedule is completely out the window.

If you actually worked there, you'd know this too, but you don't, so your post is nonsense (as usual).

SuperSup

Wow, the impossible has happened. I completely agree with MrFedEx. He obviously has studied the corporate structure of FedEx, and makes some very good points. As an aside, I run a UPS center, and if my wife acted like FedEx All the Way, we'd have a very serious issue. I can defend my place of employment by myself, and what happens at UPS is between myself and UPS. My wife understands this, and doesn't criticize or defend the company, she just takes my check and says "thank you". Mrs. "Upper Management who won't state her husband's position (junior manager)" should perhaps learn this.

FedEx All the Way!

Wow, the impossible has happened. I completely agree with MrFedEx. He obviously has studied the corporate structure of FedEx, and makes some very good points. As an aside, I run a UPS center, and if my wife acted like FedEx All the Way, we'd have a very serious issue. I can defend my place of employment by myself, and what happens at UPS is between myself and UPS. My wife understands this, and doesn't criticize or defend the company, she just takes my check and says "thank you". Mrs. "Upper Management who won't state her husband's position (junior manager)" should perhaps learn this.

Get a grip, since I don't work there I was only trying to suggest an option.
If you agree with MrFedEx, and since you think MrFedEx has studied the corporate structure, why isn't he sitting right next to Fred S every morning?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Get a grip, since I don't work there I was only trying to suggest an option.
If you agree with MrFedEx, and since you think MrFedEx has studied the corporate structure, why isn't he sitting right next to Fred S every morning?

My personal ethics would not allow me to do that. He's an evil little miser who could give a damn about anything but money. If I were to meet Mr Smith in person, it would be very difficult for me not to punch him out. Of course, his bodyguards wouldn't allow that. He's so "loved" by his workers these days that he's afraid to speak to them except via the propaganda box. He has security with him because there are plenty of others who wouldn't mind taking a swat at him.

There are plenty of FedEx hourlies out there who are college-educated...some even have advanced degrees. In fact, most FedEx managers never got farther than an A.A degree, a statistic that Smith bemoans in his latest interview. The more intelligent employees stay away from management in most cases because they don't want to sell their soul to FedEx, especially at the pittance Smith is willing to pay for 70-80 hours a week. How educated is your "upper management" husband? Is he another of Fred's "disappointments"?

FedEx All the Way!

my personal ethics would not allow me to do that. He's an evil little miser who could give a damn about anything but money. If i were to meet mr smith in person, it would be very difficult for me not to punch him out. Of course, his bodyguards wouldn't allow that. He's so "loved" by his workers these days that he's afraid to speak to them except via the propaganda box. He has security with him because there are plenty of others who wouldn't mind taking a swat at him.

There are plenty of fedex hourlies out there who are college-educated...some even have advanced degrees. In fact, most fedex managers never got farther than an a.a degree, a statistic that smith bemoans in his latest interview. The more intelligent employees stay away from management in most cases because they don't want to sell their soul to fedex, especially at the pittance smith is willing to pay for 70-80 hours a week. How educated is your "upper management" husband? Is he another of fred's "disappointments"?

NOT BY A LONG SHOT!!!! My husband happens to be the type of person that you would never want to underestimate.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
NOT BY A LONG SHOT!!!! My husband happens to be the type of person that you would never want to underestimate.

I doubt it, but just so you'll learn something today, here's why a lot of extremely capable hourlies never went into management. Fred, in his infinite cheapness, used to start his Ops Managers in the low 40's for a thankless job that required 65-80 hrs per week. Lots of headaches for not much pay. At the same time, when OT was plentiful and FedEx was very busy, a topped-out courier or RTD would be making $60,000 to $75,000 per year(or more)if they were motivated and willing to work at all times. The vast majority of the time, hourlies out-earned management by a significant margin. Eventually, management compensation would exceed that of an hourly, but only after about 10 years, and in the meantime, most managers would have either quit or downgraded back to hourly status due to the stress and unreasonable expectations of the job.

Today, management pay has risen, and a very long-term Ops Manager does quite well, as do other managers. OT is basically gone in most stations, so hourlies have to make do on a 40 hr week in most cases. The lack of OT has made the wage disparity between us and UPS especially glaring, since there is no longer any opportunity to make-up the difference. Add-in all of the takeaways, and it looks even worse. Is it any wonder that a revolt is brewing?

So, have you learned anything today after my little history lesson? Maybe your husband has been in management long enough to be making good money, and perhaps he started when the compensation gap made getting into management a decent choice.

Until you learn more about the history of FedEx and the absolute decline in respect for the hourly employee, your posts will continue to be ill-informed and third party in nature. I'd still like to see hubby get on here and do some 'splainin, as Ricky Ricardo used to say.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
I beleive that Fed-Ex All the Way needs to find a job herself because it seems to me that she has way too much time on her hands. Maybe instead of posting about Fed-Ex she might want to actually work at Fed-Ex than what she says might be worth more than cow dung. Also I feel bad for her husband atleast I can just log off to get away from her but hes not that lucky.

New Englander

One question for you.

95% of us UPS drivers all work overtime.

How does working overtime at FedEx make up the difference. Your straight pay is less then us as is your overtime :) How are you making up the difference?

As an edit: Why should you guys make near as much as us? As an ex-FedExer I can honestly say you do about 70% the work we do.