Equie

I've been a member of this forum community for two days now, as a result of starting a part-time position as a driver helper next week.

And I was just curious from reading most of the posts, is UPS really as horrible as people make it out to be?

Some of the things I've seen people say:
1. You don't get paid overtime.
2. You work 13 hours a day.
3. You have to work part-time doing backbreaking work as a preloader for years before you get a position in management or as a driver.
4. Supervisor's rule their stations with an iron fist and threaten people with false accusations.
5. Sexism is rampart.
6. You can be "on call" for months, meanwhile you are expected to call in every single day just to see if any work is available for you.
7. You retire with a blown back, bad knees, and in poor health.
8. A much higher than average divorce rate attributed to being a UPS employee.
9. If you get in an accident you are fired no questions asked.
10. Blackmail.
11. Mental anquish.
12. Etc, etc.

Also, I visted the website Vault: The Most Trusted Name in Career Information and looked up "UPS". This website is great for a job seeker, because you get to see what employees of a company have to say about working for this company. For UPS, most of the comments are horrendous....let me quote a few:

"UPS allows and encourages it's center managers to push, degrade, humiliate, find fault"

"Unfair treatment, overwork not rewarded, for hard work we are asked to perform 100% each and everyday"

"Most unprofessional place I ever worked, run like a prison."

"A horrific experience probably equivalent to Iraq (without the blood and gore). Not fun at all."

"Non-stop stress, upper management is never satisfied with anyone's performance, no matter how good your center's performance is".

"Very bad all around"

From what I have read about UPS in the last two days of researching the company, my stomach feels sick. Should I look elsewhere and not start next week? Or are the comments I am reading from a very minor percentage of UPS employees?
I work as a pre-loader
1. untrue
2. untrue
3. It's not so bad, it's 5 hrs a time and half after.
Most of the other points are true.
The worst place I've ever worked and I am just biding my time. It is hard trying pull through until the end of 2019. They only reason I am still there is because I basically walk to work other than that I am way better than to be treated like crap and feel unappreciated.
one day I literally had supervisors told me you are improving and the next day one hover over me just to yell at me, and what I did was just walk back to check to see if I was missing anything on the belt. Its like the managers have the supervisors do all the dirty work. hence, "Non-stop stress, upper management is never satisfied with anyone's performance, no matter how good your center's performance is". Just as how the loads increase and decrease daily, I am human and so is my energy.
and some of these people are not even qualified to be supervisors. disrespectful and UPS is the only place they can behave like that, well at least where I am at.
But I would say go check it out for yourself your location might have educated people, with conscience.

Fuzzy Brown

I've been a member of this forum community for two days now, as a result of starting a part-time position as a driver helper next week.

And I was just curious from reading most of the posts, is UPS really as horrible as people make it out to be?

Some of the things I've seen people say:
1. You don't get paid overtime.
2. You work 13 hours a day.
3. You have to work part-time doing backbreaking work as a preloader for years before you get a position in management or as a driver.
4. Supervisor's rule their stations with an iron fist and threaten people with false accusations.
5. Sexism is rampart.
6. You can be "on call" for months, meanwhile you are expected to call in every single day just to see if any work is available for you.
7. You retire with a blown back, bad knees, and in poor health.
8. A much higher than average divorce rate attributed to being a UPS employee.
9. If you get in an accident you are fired no questions asked.
10. Blackmail.
11. Mental anquish.
12. Etc, etc.

Also, I visted the website Vault: The Most Trusted Name in Career Information and looked up "UPS". This website is great for a job seeker, because you get to see what employees of a company have to say about working for this company. For UPS, most of the comments are horrendous....let me quote a few:

"UPS allows and encourages it's center managers to push, degrade, humiliate, find fault"

"Unfair treatment, overwork not rewarded, for hard work we are asked to perform 100% each and everyday"

"Most unprofessional place I ever worked, run like a prison."

"A horrific experience probably equivalent to Iraq (without the blood and gore). Not fun at all."

"Non-stop stress, upper management is never satisfied with anyone's performance, no matter how good your center's performance is".

"Very bad all around"

From what I have read about UPS in the last two days of researching the company, my stomach feels sick. Should I look elsewhere and not start next week? Or are the comments I am reading from a very minor percentage of UPS employees?
You have to work somewhere so why not work for a company like UPS that makes it worth your while.
The worst that could happen is you won’t like it but that’s true of any job.

I enjoy my job, I enjoy going to work. At times it's stressful, but if you don't worry about times and just do your best, you can leave all that stress off your chest. Not everybody does that. I just paid attention to the best workers, they came in and didn't work for free, and they took their hour and 10 everyday, and never ran a stop. Very methodical workers usually and get their work done at a reasonable time. Life is too short to let cardboard make you mad, I saw someone on here say. And it's true.

AwashBwashCwash

Life is too short to let cardboard make you mad, I saw someone on here say. And it's true.

The problem is that most people by nature are conscientious and want to do a good job, and UPS takes advantage of that by pushing you to the point of failure, and thensome.
The entire center at my preload basically works for 15 minutes for free every morning b/c they turn the belt on before we are scheduled to start and if you come in at exactly start time, your section is already buried.

Of course you don't HAVE to work for free, but they take advantage of people's good nature, just to try and squeeze a few more pennies out of you. It's sickening. They know EXACTLY what they are doing when they artificially create that sense of pressure first thing in the morning. It's evil and that's what pisses me off.

There's tons of little examples like that. It isn't the cardboard that makes us mad, it's the toxic culture at this :censored2: hole company

The problem is that most people by nature are conscientious and want to do a good job, and UPS takes advantage of that by pushing you to the point of failure, and thensome.
The entire center at my preload basically works for 15 minutes for free every morning b/c they turn the belt on before we are scheduled to start and if you come in at exactly start time, your section is already buried.

Of course you don't HAVE to work for free, but they take advantage of people's good nature, just to try and squeeze a few more pennies out of you. It's sickening. They know EXACTLY what they are doing when they artificially create that sense of pressure first thing in the morning. It's evil and that's what pisses me off.

There's tons of little examples like that. It isn't the cardboard that makes us mad, it's the toxic culture at this :censored2: hole company

Trust me, there's tons I would change about the job. UPS is a smaller sample size of what it's like to live in modern society. You're essentially ripped off entirely and others had it way better than you and it's only going to get worse, and technology keeps racing past our ability to control it. It's murdering the human soul. Anyway, to my point, lol, it's all about perspective. If I wasted my time personally worrying about all of this, I'd go mad. I don't work for free and I don't have any issues. I sort my truck after every section, walk every stop and make out fine. And if they expected me to do otherwise, I would just keep following the rules and the methods with a smile on my face.

P700slave

The job can be strenuous. But it also pays well and has great benefits. Its not for everyone. Give it a shot and make your call.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I think It was well worth it. When I was working was not so sure at times but UPS is one of the best paying companies out there plus bennies . You can thank the Teamsters for that.

I have collected over 50 pension checks so far and love every 1st of the month. Have only been retired a little over 4 years. Plenty of members here been out for 10-15-20 or more years and I'm sure they don't regret working for UPS.

heck @rod has collected 3,256 pension checks and still going strong.......

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank

So you do have some smarts under that mop. You could be the voice of reason here and either get your coworkers to stop working off the clock or even better, you could be the hero and file the grievances to collect pay for all those people working FOR FREE before start time.

Start getting people paid for working off the clock and you will be the big man on campus or you will get management to stop allowing people to work off the clock. You obviously know what's up so do something about it brother.

ALVCS22

IT WAS VERY RACIST THEY TRIED TO ACCUSE ME OF STILING BOXES AND PACKGES.
I WAS DRIVER HELPER I WORKED MY BUTT OF AND THAN THEY WERE TRYING TO ACCUSE THE HELPERS OF STILING STUUF
VERY RACIST MANAGEMENT IN SAN FRANCISCO, I FELT VERY NOT APPRECIATED AND FELT DISCRIMINATED
THEY WERE TRYING TO TAKE THE HELPERS PICTURES JUST FOR SAFETY REASON.
VERY RACIST PLACE TO WORK DONT GO THERE IF YOU ARE IMMIGRANT AND HAVE AN ACCCENT.
UPS IS cOLD AND RACIST NOT RESPECTFUL
I HAD A HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE WORKING FOR UPS.

542thruNthru

I WAS DRIVER HELPER I WORKED MY BUTT OF AND THAN THEY WERE TRYING TO ACCUSE THE HELPERS OF STILING STUUF
VERY RACIST MANAGEMENT IN SAN FRANCISCO, I FELT VERY NOT APPRECIATED AND FELT DISCRIMINATED
VERY RACIST PLACE TO WORK DONT GO THERE IF YOU ARE IMMIGRANT AND HAVE AN ACCCENT.
Yep, they are very racist in San Francisco. I'm surprised you got out alive.

It would appear you also had a horrible experience in English class.

Linguistically helping.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Here you go...

1639316121933-png.363386

Buffet Master

FEEDAH FATTY
Holy balls, I've never seen anyone more qualified to be a truck driver. Go get ya some of that hauling cans out of ports skrilla.