UnconTROLLed

perfection
I remember I was brand new. My father in law had passed, and lived hundreds of miles away. I notified my management team. They expressed their condolences, but said I could not have the time off. I was too new to think they would bold face lie, and didn't check with the local. Of course I found out later - I think I was entitled to 3 days off. They got me!! I made sure to get them a few times after that, when I found out what the ground rules were. For management people reading these comments. If you've ever wondered, what makes certain employees the way they are? It's actions like this, that managers have taken. That was aprox 35 years ago, and it's as fresh today as 35 years ago. I was for some managers, one of their nightmares. Many of you managers created us. Keep that in mind the next time you feel the urge to screw one of the hourly's. Or even another manager is screwing over an hourly. It may be you managing him next year.
This is why I am happy jobs are rebid bi-annually in our local and region

Because as often as supervisors or management people are shifted, union should also have that ability to move around. Get stuck with the wrong management "team" with little to no options for movement, must be brutal.

twoweeled

This is why I am happy jobs are rebid bi-annually in our local and region

Because as often as supervisors or management people are shifted, union should also have that ability to move around. Get stuck with the wrong management "team" with little to no options for movement, must be brutal.
You must be referring to Feeder. YMMV Package, your still under the same management because your still in the same center?? Feeder you can move to another building and another management team. I learned dealing with management is just part of the job. Always at war, just a matter of when and why. I always worked out of Fallujah Center.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
You must be referring to Feeder. YMMV Package, your still under the same management because your still in the same center?? Feeder you can move to another building and another management team. I learned dealing with management is just part of the job. Always at war, just a matter of when and why. I always worked out of Fallujah Center.
our local we can bid between six buildings, something like 12 centers....feeders, package, 22.3 22.2 FT, all bid bi-anually. i have only switched bids one time due to wanting new bosses.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I've been retired since 1995? but back in the day the company slogan was "Work the mule till he drops then get a new mule" !! Don't know if that has changed but what the hell do you expect for the huge hourly wage that UPS pays, a pie job ?? Get real !!!

Jeez, Tal. You win the necropost of the month award.

And now, look at all these others falling for it.

twoweeled

In my 35 plus years, I observed the oposite. Some operations ran like crap and others hummed. Some treated their people like crap and others treated them well. It boils down to who the management team is. You can be micromanaged from above and still treat your people well. I managed (not supervised) 13 plus operations and audited or assessed well over 60 other operations in 6 different districts and Hawaii.
I agree with a lot of what you say. Not totally sure about all. It sounds like you were upper management, and maybe you micromanaged?? Asking! I wonder if your subordinates felt as you; "You can be micromanaged from above and still treat your people well." I assume you micromanaged a bit, and they were micromanaged. My point is, you both may have had different perspectives on the micromanaging?
If you managed during the early 80's, that was a different time from my perspective. I really don't know if management's perspective was similar to ours (hourly). Assuming you retired awhile back, I think you'd be a little surprised/disappointed in what management and operations are doing now. I've never seen management cutting each others throats, like now.

Last edited:

sweetUPS

Most people on here have horrible things to say, yet they have been working there for a decade, but they don't want ton to work there or try and scare you by only telling you the horrible things to see if your gonna back out. Basically, I believe it's hard work, however, if you put your mind to working. Hard, you can do it, working is better than not working. And if an individual is trying to get a job vs running the streets, go for it! Most of the comments won't even relate to your question.

davidix

I think working in the hub is probably the easiest job there is in terms of stress. No matter what the day comes to an end. You decide if you want to kill yourself or pace yourself. If you get sick call in. You will not be fired. I repeat...you can literall take 3 days off and sleep like a baby because they need people that bad.

If you want to become a driver even better. There is literally zero competition. Just look at the people around you.

As a driver yeah life is tough. But max pay is a light at the end of the tunnel. Put your head down and make that money.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I've been retired since 1995? but back in the day the company slogan was "Work the mule till he drops then get a new mule" !! Don't know if that has changed but what the hell do you expect for the huge hourly wage that UPS pays, a pie job ?? Get real !!!
How is it a newbie drags out a 2011 thread?

IESucks

I've been a member of this forum community for two days now, as a result of starting a part-time position as a driver helper next week.

And I was just curious from reading most of the posts, is UPS really as horrible as people make it out to be?

Some of the things I've seen people say:
1. You don't get paid overtime.
2. You work 13 hours a day.
3. You have to work part-time doing backbreaking work as a preloader for years before you get a position in management or as a driver.
4. Supervisor's rule their stations with an iron fist and threaten people with false accusations.
5. Sexism is rampart.
6. You can be "on call" for months, meanwhile you are expected to call in every single day just to see if any work is available for you.
7. You retire with a blown back, bad knees, and in poor health.
8. A much higher than average divorce rate attributed to being a UPS employee.
9. If you get in an accident you are fired no questions asked.
10. Blackmail.
11. Mental anquish.
12. Etc, etc.

Also, I visted the website Vault: The Most Trusted Name in Career Information and looked up "UPS". This website is great for a job seeker, because you get to see what employees of a company have to say about working for this company. For UPS, most of the comments are horrendous....let me quote a few:

"UPS allows and encourages it's center managers to push, degrade, humiliate, find fault"

"Unfair treatment, overwork not rewarded, for hard work we are asked to perform 100% each and everyday"

"Most unprofessional place I ever worked, run like a prison."

"A horrific experience probably equivalent to Iraq (without the blood and gore). Not fun at all."

"Non-stop stress, upper management is never satisfied with anyone's performance, no matter how good your center's performance is".

"Very bad all around"

From what I have read about UPS in the last two days of researching the company, my stomach feels sick. Should I look elsewhere and not start next week? Or are the comments I am reading from a very minor percentage of UPS employees?
All true. Period

trex007

Yeah and there is a negative side to working at UPS...:w00t:

My Answers to your questions:
1. Preloaders get overtime for ANY day they work over FIVE hours....
2. Drivers MAY work eight hours plus.
3. Full time jobs are bid on and given by senority.
4. Supervisor's MAY threaten people with false accusations but hourly employees have UNION protection.
5. I have never seen Sexism.
6. To be a driver helper I understand this to be true but I know of NO helpers being denied work. If anything there is a shortage of helpers.
7. I have not retired but I am already under the care of a neurologist after being with UPS for over two years.
8. Don't know aboutr this but could be possible.
9. UNION would fight to get your job back plus any back pay if this were to happen....
10. Blackmail - Management threaten to write up/suspend and hourly workers threaten to file grievences...
11. Mental anquish.

trex007

First off, keep in mind these forums are used to vent, and whine and cry and moan and if you go to fred's cafe or the usps or even that bottlecap factory mentioned and find a comparable website you'll see that every other company is the same. Hell, I'd bet that even welfare recipients gripe and moan about having to wait til the beginning of the month to get paid and it isn't enough to buy enough crack and condoms or what ever...

That being said, UPS is, a great place to work. As a driver you'll be challenged physically and mentally but if you're up to it, you'll be rewarded well with your paycheck and bennies. I've never had better benefits. I've only been more proud of my stint in Uncle Sam's Motorcyle Club.

I'd also guesstimate that about 87% of the griping you'll find here is directed at pinhead management decisions that make our day longer, more difficult, or just makes us look stupid and/or incompetant. And again, you can find that at any company.

The vast majority of us are proud of what we do, care deeply for our customers, and strive every day to give great customer service.

trex007

some may have good experience, some don't. just because you had good experience, that doesn't mean everyone must acknowledge that UPS is a good place to work. some don't have good experience and i'm sure they have their own legitimate reasons as you have your own legitimate reason for good experience at UPS.