DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
You’re working too hard. Follow the methods and the system and you should be healthy. Moving your body is good for you
In my experience, the ones that complain about their bodies falling apart are the ones who let this company run them into the ground. We’ve had a few lifetime runner gunners retire recently. They hobbled out after several surgeries. They figured out way too late the importance of following the methods.

brostalss

I've been a member of this forum community for two days now, as a result of starting a part-time position as a driver helper next week.

And I was just curious from reading most of the posts, is UPS really as horrible as people make it out to be?

Some of the things I've seen people say:
1. You don't get paid overtime.
2. You work 13 hours a day.
3. You have to work part-time doing backbreaking work as a preloader for years before you get a position in management or as a driver.
4. Supervisor's rule their stations with an iron fist and threaten people with false accusations.
5. Sexism is rampart.
6. You can be "on call" for months, meanwhile you are expected to call in every single day just to see if any work is available for you.
7. You retire with a blown back, bad knees, and in poor health.
8. A much higher than average divorce rate attributed to being a UPS employee.
9. If you get in an accident you are fired no questions asked.
10. Blackmail.
11. Mental anquish.
12. Etc, etc.

Also, I visted the website Vault: The Most Trusted Name in Career Information and looked up "UPS". This website is great for a job seeker, because you get to see what employees of a company have to say about working for this company. For UPS, most of the comments are horrendous....let me quote a few:

"UPS allows and encourages it's center managers to push, degrade, humiliate, find fault"

"Unfair treatment, overwork not rewarded, for hard work we are asked to perform 100% each and everyday"

"Most unprofessional place I ever worked, run like a prison."

"A horrific experience probably equivalent to Iraq (without the blood and gore). Not fun at all."

"Non-stop stress, upper management is never satisfied with anyone's performance, no matter how good your center's performance is".

"Very bad all around"

From what I have read about UPS in the last two days of researching the company, my stomach feels sick. Should I look elsewhere and not start next week? Or are the comments I am reading from a very minor percentage of UPS employees?

All lies. This job rocks.

542thruNthru

just because you have never seen sexism at UPS, that doesn't mean it isn't there. some have experienced it.

some may have good experience, some don't. just because you had good experience, that doesn't mean everyone must acknowledge that UPS is a good place to work. some don't have good experience and i'm sure they have their own legitimate reasons as you have your own legitimate reason for good experience at UPS.

I am so glad you revived this long dead thread. Just last night I was tossing and turning in bed wondering to myself. "God I wonder if everyone has the same experience as me!"

You're a life saver.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I am so glad you revived this long dead thread. Just last night I was tossing and turning in bed wondering to myself. "God I wonder if everyone has the same experience as me!"

You're a life saver.
Sounds like I need to hold out on your wife for a few days. You need it more than me right now

wilberforce15

With the onslaught of cellular telephones, pagers (with voicemail) can be had for just pennies a day.
I realize that before pagers, situations where the driver wasn't notified of family emergencies may have been common but, with today's technology, there's no reason this should happen any longer.

But a guy without a cell phone in the hub whose wife just went into labor is a different story.

They wonder where my morale went all of a sudden.

No forgiveness.

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
There's a lot of crap that I hate about this place. Crap that comes out of nowhere from all different places. Sups triflin,' awful load quality, going out blind on a junk route in a p1 to do stuff that's usually done in a p5, airhead distracted drivers who can and will ruin your day and possibly your job at any second, weather, old trucks held together by a string because the company won't give trucks to the centers that need themwhile others pile up and collect dust, the desperate housewives who obsess over every single move I make in their neighborhood as I'm driving the speed limit and just trying to do my job .
Co workers; incessant complainers who usually get what they want because the squeaky wheel.......the wierdos who get off on friend'ing with people and the route tree, ass kissers, the talkers (we all know one, just shut up and let me work dude), the "bumper" who's like 2 spots ahead of me and knows all the same routes and ensures that I do the crappier option every single time.
The financial stability free insurance, exercise, and ability to work alone will keep me here for a long time. I don't think I could make 20 years even if I wanted to (I don't). But yeah, we EARN our checks every single day, every single minute we're on the clock. I get mad all the time, but I get over it really really fast. Next stop. Keep moving.
I think we can all say that as hard and crappy as this job is, it gives a lot in return, not just monetarily. We stay sharp cause we have to.

I have been lurking

Tired hubrat
There's a lot of crap that I hate about this place. Crap that comes out of nowhere from all different places. Sups triflin,' awful load quality, going out blind on a junk route in a p1 to do stuff that's usually done in a p5, airhead distracted drivers who can and will ruin your day and possibly your job at any second, weather, old trucks held together by a string because the company won't give trucks to the centers that need themwhile others pile up and collect dust, the desperate housewives who obsess over every single move I make in their neighborhood as I'm driving the speed limit and just trying to do my job .
Co workers; incessant complainers who usually get what they want because the squeaky wheel.......the wierdos who get off on friend'ing with people and the route tree, ass kissers, the talkers (we all know one, just shut up and let me work dude), the "bumper" who's like 2 spots ahead of me and knows all the same routes and ensures that I do the crappier option every single time.
The financial stability free insurance, exercise, and ability to work alone will keep me here for a long time. I don't think I could make 20 years even if I wanted to (I don't). But yeah, we EARN our checks every single day, every single minute we're on the clock. I get mad all the time, but I get over it really really fast. Next stop. Keep moving.
I think we can all say that as hard and crappy as this job is, it gives a lot in return, not just monetarily. We stay sharp cause we have to.
Grieve, stupid.

Karma...

Be realistic.....Its a great PT job......Its a job..not a career.......Not meant for FT work......Its your responsibility if you waste your life and stay too long as an hourly.......